Speedometer freaking out

Thread: Speedometer freaking out

Default Speedometer freaking out

Hey all I have a quick question for you guys. I went for a 4hr ride today and I realized while I was doing 75-80 mph the speedometer would freak out and go to 100 down to 60 then back to my actual speed.

I did just get new tires installed please help me out .

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

This sounds like the speedo sensor needs to be cleaned. Take a look at the following thread:

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sh...8155&p=1791017

- My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    - God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the vision to tell the difference.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

I had that to happen to my 07 years ago. After doing about 2-3 start ups and recycles, it never did it again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for giving me this i am going to try it this weekend and see if it works

Thank you

Blacklightning thanks for that I am going to try a all of your suggestions it was driving me nuts 😜

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Petro View Post
    Thank you for giving me this i am going to try it this weekend and see if it works

Thank you
    You're welcome! I also had a bouncing speedometer which was resolved by cleaning the sensor.
    Note: a tablespoon or so of oil could possibly drip out when you remove the sensor, so you may want to put a cup or a rag underneath while cleaning it.

Lastly, the advanced search feature works very well. There is a lot of information here if you search. Someone will usually answer your questions quickly, but searching is even quicker!
    You can also use Google to search the site by entering your search terms and adding site:m109riders.com

Good luck, and cheers!

- My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    - God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the vision to tell the difference.

It is just metal flakes on the sensor since it's a magnet. Cleaning it will solve your issues. How old is the bike? If it has a lot of miles then you should listen for some noise in the secondary area. There is a bearing in there that could wear which might be where the metal is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by UVATom View Post
    It is just metal flakes on the sensor since it's a magnet. Cleaning it will solve your issues. How old is the bike? If it has a lot of miles then you should listen for some noise in the secondary area. There is a bearing in there that could wear which might be where the metal is coming from.
    My bike is a 2017 with not even 6k on it. This is the first time seeing this, I did just change the tires would that make it freak out ?

Quote Originally Posted by HyperPete View Post

Thank you
    You're welcome! I also had a bouncing speedometer which was resolved by cleaning the sensor.
    Note: a tablespoon or so of oil could possibly drip out when you remove the sensor, so you may want to put a cup or a rag underneath while cleaning it.

Lastly, the advanced search feature works very well. There is a lot of information here if you search. Someone will usually answer your questions quickly, but searching is even quicker!
    You can also use Google to search the site by entering your search terms and adding site:m109riders.com

Good luck, and cheers!
    So when I pull out the sensor and oil comes out should I replace the oil or clean it and put it back dry ?

My bike is a 2017 with not even 6k on it. This is the first time seeing this, I did just change the tires would that make it freak out ?
    Long enough for the break in period.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

So when I pull out the sensor and oil comes out should I replace the oil or clean it and put it back dry ?
    Clean it and re install the sensor. Any oil that you lose will be negligible.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    Clean it and re install the sensor. Any oil that you lose will be negligible.
    Thanks for everything will check it out on Thursday