M109 Rider Forums banner

Dunlop Elite 4

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Andy33 
#1 ·
There was some conversation about Dunlop Elite 4 tires on here a few weeks ago. I put a new 250 Radial on the rear this spring to match the front I put on last year. Did 2 trips over the last 3 weekends and encountered very heavy rain on both trips. The Dunlop Elite 4 rear tire did NOT preform as advertised in the heavy rain. We were 2 up I'm 250 lbs wife is 185 lbs we had full luggage tire pressure 42 lbs tire is rotating in the correct direction. Both times you could feel the rear tire loose contact with the pavement and hydroplane. If you are running these tires get off the road in heavy rain save your life and your ride. The Elite 3 was far superior in heavy rain never had this happen through 3 sets of tires.

Dommer

#3 ·
There was some conversation about Dunlop Elite 4 tires on here a few weeks ago. I put a new 250 Radial on the rear this spring to match the front I put on last year. Did 2 trips over the last 3 weekends and encountered very heavy rain on both trips. The Dunlop Elite 4 rear tire did NOT preform as advertised in the heavy rain. We were 2 up I'm 250 lbs wife is 185 lbs we had full luggage tire pressure 42 lbs tire is rotating in the correct direction. Both times you could feel the rear tire loose contact with the pavement and hydroplane. If you are running these tires get off the road in heavy rain save your life and your ride. The Elite 3 was far superior in heavy rain never had this happen through 3 sets of tires.

Dommer
So buy the III while supplies last! :-\

#4 ·
puzzelment

They are quieter than the Elite 3 and have a rounder shape that makes them feel more nimble they seem to have better grip in the dry. Better performance all around in the dry. After doing some more research they claim the center groove on the front tire is supposed to move water away from the tire track so the rear tire has less water to deal with. I wonder if the front tire in the stock size is too narrow to provide a wide enough deep water relief for the 250 mm rear tire to perform as advertised ?? Dunlop must test these things to death before releasing them for sale there must be a logical explanation.

#5 ·
They are quieter than the Elite 3 and have a rounder shape that makes them feel more nimble they seem to have better grip in the dry. Better performance all around in the dry. After doing some more research they claim the center groove on the front tire is supposed to move water away from the tire track so the rear tire has less water to deal with. I wonder if the front tire in the stock size is too narrow to provide a wide enough deep water relief for the 250 mm rear tire to perform as advertised ?? Dunlop must test these things to death before releasing them for sale there must be a logical explanation.
Last year I went up to the Metz160 and I love it! Still running my 250 Dunl but wanting try Metz 260

#6 · (Edited)
I just put on the E4's a few weeks ago, both front and back. Ran into some rain. I didn't notice the back as much as the front. Did some reading and I guess the tread in the front tends to push the water towards the middle of the tire to help lessen the hydroplane when you turn, since you tend to ride more on the side of the tire when you turn. Either way, I didn't like it either. On dry pavement, they are great, but not much of a fan on wet roads. Then again, I have open air filters, so I try and avoid the rain whenever possible.

#7 ·
i had installed these on my previous ride, a 2010 Victory Cross Roads and people were claiming they were the next best thing to sliced bread on the victory forum.
i found the same issue as y'all, sketchy handling when it got wet, but i didn't get nearly the miles out of them as others claimed to get. i had better luck with the metzeler marathons on it than any other tire.
currently i have the michelin commanders on my 9 and they don't seem too bad, but i haven't really encountered too much rain this season either - a pop up shower here and there but nothing where there really was standing water on the road.
but yeah, for all the hype the E4's seem to have, i can't echo many of their sentiments other than the rounder profile seemed to make the bike handle more nimbly on dry pavement and curvy roads.

#8 ·
Well that sucks. Have 2 new E4's in the garage and only bought them because of the claim that they are better in rain....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.