M109 Rider Forums banner

want my high Beam switch to perform like the yellow flash to pass momentary switch

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Mikeyg00 
#1 ·
Hello All,
I just recently upgraded my Halogen headlight Bulb and Driving light Bulbs to LED's. Wow what a difference. My headlight was awful at night. Now both low beam and high beam are great! Something I noticed was that when I use High Beam the low beam LEDs turn off with my driving lights and only the High Beam LEDs come on. If you've ever used your flash to pass monetary switch we have i find that all the lights stay on, my driving lights, Low Beam and high Beam. really lights up the road much better than just high beam switch. I wish our head light high/low switch worked like that.

Has anyone figured a way to run a jumper wire from the flash to pass circuit to the high beam switch? I would love it if my low/high beam switch left everything on with the addition of the high beam. I am going to open up the handlebar light switch but thought I would ask if anyone has done this already and had an easy procedure.

If anyone has any insight i would appreciate your advice.

#2 ·
This is a something I've ran into on a lot of vehicles and typically a jumper between the two relays with a diode fixed the problem. However, here the switch is the actual problem that prevents this. When low beam is selected and the flasher switch simply connects the yellow wire from the fuse box to the HI beam relay energizing the light and maintaining low beam power. When the switch is flipped to HI beam it completely removes power from the low beam circuit.

Looking at the schematic the switch seems to have more poles then are actually used. The simple solution may be adding a jumper contact to maintain power to the low beam circuit when high beam is selected. I will take my spare control apart and assess the switch for options.

A quick solution would be to add a relay that uses switching power from the HI beam relay to also turn on Low beams. Down side to this is cutting and splicing your harness.

I will get to investigating after church tomorrow and see what turns up.

I know you already invested in a new light however, there are companies who maintain power to both LED circuits for maximum light output.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply's guys. Ill be interested in Frotosride evaluation. If i can just add a jumper wire that would be great. I now understand that the switch is doing more than I thought, so if this isn't possible without cutting into my Harness Ill look for Prospectors LED for the solution. I just bought this Hikari bulb and its really a huge improvement. But its just so much more light with both Diodes lit at the same time.

Thanks guys

#5 ·
Ok sorry it took me so long. I did look at when I said I would but I got caught up doing other things and didn't post my findings.
Unfortunately the dimmer switch is just a simple 2 pole single throw switch. The only way to get your both high and low beams on will be a line tap/splice with a diode to keep the low beam and high functioning separately when switched to low beam...

Or do as most here have done including myself and recommended by The Prospector...Cyclops Ultra H4!!

#6 · (Edited)
...The only way to get your both high and low beams on will be a line tap/splice with a diode to keep the low beam and high functioning separately when switched to low beam...

Or do as most here have done including myself and recommended by The Prospector...Cyclops Ultra H4!!
Yup. ^This.
A single diode will do the trick (if you don't buy a Cyclops) - *if* you are comfortable with minor wire surgery, some aren't.
Ensure your diode is sufficient AMPS to handle the draw of your LOW beam.
In my pic the RED arrow is the diode you need to add between the HI beam (yellow wire) and LOW beam (white wire) - so that the "line" on the diode is closest to the WHITE(LOW beam) wire.

Always think of the line on a diode as the stop-sign or closed garage door - it will stop electricity from flowing in that direction - it will only flow in the direction the arrow is pointing. So in this case, from the hi-beam when it is on, back to the low beam. But when the low-beam is on, the diode, when installed as shown, will prevent electricity from flowing back up to the high beam. If you mount it backwards, all that will happen is your high beam will ALWAYS be on and when you actually switch to high-beam, only the high beam will be on. No damage will occur - just flip the diode the other way.

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Slope

#7 ·
Thanks for the info on the Diode. I may do it as a winter project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.