m109r2 2008 - checklist and price

Thread: m109r2 2008 - checklist and price

Default m109r2 2008 - checklist and price

Hi
    I am about to pull the trigger on a m109R2 . It has very low mileage (under 7k) and was garage kept. Since this is my first buy on the private market I am bit nervous.
    What should I look out for beside the obvious (clean title, VIN, drop marks, rust, leakage,...)? I will do a short test ride but I doubt I will have time to bring it in for an inspection before the deal.
    Price is currently $6100. Is that a good deal (US market)?

I heard there were issues with the 2nd gear, which was addressed in later models? I rode an Intruder 1400 back in the days and I know the shifting was clunky but is there anything to check on a 2008 model in that regard?

Thanks
    Last edited by earL09; 1 Week Ago at 11:43 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

My opinion : Too old . You are also going to deal with the 2nd gear issue for sure , and clutch
    I would look for a newer model from 2011 and on , even if it cost a little more … good luck

Very Active Member DutchM1800R2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by josey088 View Post
    I would look for a newer model from 2011 and on , even if it cost a little more … good luck
    Agreed. Unless he’s specifically looking for a R2 model, in which case he’s limited to ‘08-‘09.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by earL09 View Post
    Hi
    I am about to pull the trigger on a m109R2 . It has very low mileage (under 7k) and was garage kept. Since this is my first buy on the private market I am bit nervous.
    What should I look out for beside the obvious (clean title, VIN, drop marks, rust, leakage,...)? I will do a short test ride but I doubt I will have time to bring it in for an inspection before the deal.

I heard there were issues with the 2nd gear, which was addressed in later models? I rode an Intruder 1400 back in the days and I know the shifting was clunky but is there anything to check on a 2008 model in that regard?

Thanks

You wouldn't happen to be shopping around the KC area are you?

BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    You wouldn't happen to be shopping around the KC area are you?

No, I am in north pacific region.
    After talking to the guy price came down to $5600. Bike looks like new.
    New battery, cobra pipes, brand new tires, corbin seat, anti-theft and wind shield (not installed).

No, I am in north pacific region.
    After talking to the guy price came down to $5600. Bike looks like new.
    New battery, cobra pipes, brand new tires, corbin seat, anti-theft and wind shield (not installed).

These bikes are pretty solid. They have some quirks like oil level and motor mounts, but its not to bad to deal with. The second gear issues is the biggest one, it can happen to any year, just less common on the later year bikes.

Take it for a spin, put it in second and hammer it down, if it jumps back into natural, you should keep looking. Many with the issue just skip past second all together and never bother to fix it. Id have to fix it personally, but that just me.

Look for the usual stuff that indicates it was dropped or wrecked. See how well it was taken care of by its overall appearance and the condition of the fluids and tires.

These bikes unfortunately don't hold their value and not many know what they even are, so selling can be slow and difficult. I wouldn't be surprised if you got it even cheaper, although it sounds like a fair price already.

Best of luck in your hunt for a 9!

BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

That's not a bad price but it would worry me a little if he keeps dropping it. It is hit or miss on the second gear problem. I have an 06 with 96,000 miles and have had very few problems. No second gear issue for me at all. Motor mounts, fork seals, antifreeze, and oil would be what I would check. That's not a lot of miles for an 08 and it's been sitting a lot.
    Last edited by UVATom; 1 Week Ago at 05:46 PM.

Hi

Thanks
    It all depends on the condition of the bike, it seems to have low mileage and is priced reasonably. I would consider a bike like that as long as it is in mint condition and no obvious mechanical issues. If you are comfortable after checking it out thoroughly, go for it. It all depends on how the prior owners took care of the bike. I have only had my nine for a short time but there seems to be plenty of members that belong to this forum that has older nines and according to them it just keeps on ticking year after year with little to no problems at all. Good luck.

Default New member looking for feedback...

Gentlemen,
    I bought a very clean 2008 C109R last week and I have ridden it probably 200-250 miles with no problems. There are a couple of things that concern me that I would like some feedback about from those of you who have had there bikes for some time.

1. I see on other pages where people are saying that the tranny is junk, especially an issue with 2nd gear, and it makes me a little paranoid that it's going to just crack open, to hear it being described. I've had motorcycles all my life, never much of a hot-rodder, and this type of thing has never been an issue in my experience.

2. When I am idling in neutral with the clutch released, it makes a noise that absolutely sounds like something is rubbing metal to metal in the clutch assembly somewhere, but if I pull it about halfway in it stops, and is silent, like any other clutch I've ever handles. This maybe "nothing", as well, but it is a little disturbing because it sounds like wear and tear for no good reason.

Any advice or experience with these type things that you might share will be appreciated.

Thanks, SamClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	389400

Quote Originally Posted by Sam64 View Post
    Gentlemen,
    I bought a very clean 2008 C109R last week and I have ridden it probably 200-250 miles with no problems. There are a couple of things that concern me that I would like some feedback about from those of you who have had there bikes for some time.

1. I see on other pages where people are saying that the tranny is junk, especially an issue with 2nd gear, and it makes me a little paranoid that it's going to just crack open, to hear it being described. I've had motorcycles all my life, never much of a hot-rodder, and this type of thing has never been an issue in my experience.

2. When I am idling in neutral with the clutch released, it makes a noise that absolutely sounds like something is rubbing metal to metal in the clutch assembly somewhere, but if I pull it about halfway in it stops, and is silent, like any other clutch I've ever handles. This maybe "nothing", as well, but it is a little disturbing because it sounds like wear and tear for no good reason.

Any advice or experience with these type things that you might share will be appreciated.

Thanks, SamClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	389400
    The shift from first to second is a little tricky. I have found shifting at lower rpms (less than 3500) for second gear and the bike shifts great. No problems ever with the others. If I ream it out in first, then from time to time I hit neutral. The key is to NOT overreact and grind it into second if and when it happens. Take your time, pull in the clutch, let the rpms come down then match the rpms with the bike speed and shift. It's the only issue I have with the transmission. There is a shift star you can get that I have read helps but I don't have first hand knowledge since I have not changed mine. Also adjusting the shift lever up or down to your shoe helps too.

The noise you hear is probably common. The older ones make a noise when idling with the clutch out. They just do. I have read going to the newer clutch setup helps this but I cannot confirm since I went back stock at 63k when mine wore out. There is a YouTube video you can compare yours to if you are worried. The person is also questioning the noise but it's fine.
    Last edited by UVATom; 1 Week Ago at 09:25 PM.

Hi

Thanks
    Out of curiosity it's not in Chicago is it?

Hi

Thanks
    I have 2008 R2 and love it! We call them the circumcised version! LOL

I replaced motor mounts and got new pipe, LEDs front and rear and added PwrPro Black that did wonders for the hard shifting in 30 mins it was totally different bike!
    ~Stitch

2008 M109R2 AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. by STARK INDUSTRIES

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    These bikes are pretty solid. They have some quirks like oil level and motor mounts, but its not to bad to deal with. The second gear issues is the biggest one, it can happen to any year, just less common on the later year bikes.

Take it for a spin, put it in second and hammer it down, if it jumps back into natural, you should keep looking. Many with the issue just skip past second all together and never bother to fix it. Id have to fix it personally, but that just me.

Look for the usual stuff that indicates it was dropped or wrecked. See how well it was taken care of by its overall appearance and the condition of the fluids and tires.

These bikes unfortunately don't hold their value and not many know what they even are, so selling can be slow and difficult. I wouldn't be surprised if you got it even cheaper, although it sounds like a fair price already.

Best of luck in your hunt for a 9!
    ^^^^^ This is very good advice, in my opinion. KBB has the bike valued at $4,140 on Trade-In, and $6.005 on Retail Price. $5,600 is not a bad price at all, but I would’ve have made an offer of $5,000, which is the median price.

I can speak from experience that not every 08’ model M109R or M109R2 will have the 2nd Gear issue. My 08’ model Crushed Chrome bike is in fact “originally” an M109R2 that’s had the headlight modified twice. However, it has never exhibited any 2nd Gear issues. It still has original 2008 OEM clutch plates and springs, a Shift Star has been added, and the Push Pin has been modified to allow more oil to flow to the clutch basket area, and it shifts just as smooth and easy as my 14’ model LE M109R. That’s all that has been done to it, regarding the gear and/or clutch performance. The combined cost for those two mods/upgrades was less than $500. So, if everything checks out on the bike, I think it would be foolish not to take advantage of the opportunity to purchase it at a very reasonable price.

I took the deal.
    The guy started off in craigslist with 6100 to have some room, but wanted at least $5600 - at least this is what he told me.

Bike still looks great after a more detailed inspection today. I took her out and did not experience any 2nd gear issue - switches smoothly in and out of it. If it happens in the future so be it.

Cobra swept pipes sound awesome by the way.

I took the deal.
    The guy started off in craigslist with 6100 to have some room, but wanted at least $5600 - at least this is what he told me.

Bike still looks great after a more detailed inspection today. I took her out and did not experience any 2nd gear issue - switches smoothly in and out of it. If it happens in the future so be it.

Cobra swept pipes sound awesome by the way.
    😎😊👍🏽👊🏽👍🏽😊😎...I think you made a great decision earL09. I hope you make tons of great-memories and have lots of safe-fun with it, for a very long time.

Default R2

Glad you got it. I have an '08 R2 as well w/9K mi and no clutch issues, and sometimes 2nd gear pop out (infrequent but only during hard accelleration.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    ^^^^^ This is very good advice, in my opinion. KBB has the bike valued at $4,140 on Trade-In, and $6.005 on Retail Price. $5,600 is not a bad price at all, but I would’ve have made an offer of $5,000, which is the median price.

I can speak from experience that not every 08’ model M109R or M109R2 will have the 2nd Gear issue. My 08’ model Crushed Chrome bike is in fact “originally” an M109R2 that’s had the headlight modified twice. However, it has never exhibited any 2nd Gear issues. It still has original 2008 OEM clutch plates and springs, a Shift Star has been added, and the Push Pin has been modified to allow more oil to flow to the clutch basket area, and it shifts just as smooth and easy as my 14’ model LE M109R. That’s all that has been done to it, regarding the gear and/or clutch performance. The combined cost for those two mods/upgrades was less than $500. So, if everything checks out on the bike, I think it would be foolish not to take advantage of the opportunity to purchase it at a very reasonable price.
    Bobby, do you still have your headlight cowl from the M109R2 lying around somewhere. Let me know if you want to part ways with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBarros View Post
    Bobby, do you still have your headlight cowl from the M109R2 lying around somewhere. Let me know if you want to part ways with it.
    Hello Manny,

Unfortunately, I do not have the R2 Headlight Assy. If I did, I would have no problem helping you out Bro. In the past, there has been several members here who changed out their R2 Headlight Assy with either an aftermarket or M109R Headlight Assy. Perhaps you should create a “WTB” post, and see if any of them answer the bell?

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Hello Manny,

Unfortunately, I do not have the R2 Headlight Assy. If I did, I would have no problem helping you out Bro. In the past, there has been several members here who changed out their R2 Headlight Assy with either an aftermarket or M109R Headlight Assy. Perhaps you should create a “WTB” post, and see if any of them answer the bell?
    I created a WTB a while back, maybe I will bump it and see.