Tyre fitter hell

Thread: Tyre fitter hell

Angry Tyre fitter hell

Guys,
    I wanted to bling my wheels up a bit and got them powder coated.... loved the work.
    Today i went to get the new tyres fitted at my local garage and thought nothing of it until i get a phone call from the fitter saying one wheel has a chip in the paint?
    And do i want to get it fixed first?

Well i took the wheels down to his place and they was perfect when i left them, i was the one who rebuild them after the powder coating, so again i know they was perfect.
    So i asked how bad it was and he said it is a one in chip in the paint, and he would not lie to me... that's how he found them. So i told him to do the front wheel and i will sort the other later.

Later on i went to pick them up and see the damage, all he said was... All i can say is sorry, they must have fell and they was not keyed very well as the paint has just chipped off!
    By now my blood is boiling and say to him.. that's a very expensive **** up!
    And he says.... well i wont charge you for fitting this wheel, fix the other one and bring it back

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A&B Motors wheel 1a.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	389322 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A&B Motors wheel 1b.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	389324
    I counted 12 small chips and 1 one inch chip... all on one side only!
    The colour is Candy Blue, as my bike is a Blue LE

Andy

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Id say your first mistake was "local garage" the second was not STAYING there while work was done!
    ~Stitch

2008 M109R2 AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. by STARK INDUSTRIES

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by StitchsLoft View Post
    Id say your first mistake was "local garage" the second was not STAYING there while work was done!
    Yeap ... right on .
    Something like that , I would take it to a place that I would know handles high performance wheels and on top of that I would be right there the whole time , keeping my eye on the job .

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Tell me he is at least going to fund the repair. Hate that this had to happen to you. Wheels and tires are the only things I do not have the ability to do at the house. When a vehicle is getting new ones I sit outside the bay and watch. I have stopped many "technicians" from using an impact to torque my wheels back on and they never receive my advice very well.
    "Beat it like a red-headed Ford":
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit

Default Tyre fitter hell

Quote Originally Posted by Frotosride View Post
    Tell me he is at least going to fund the repair.
    Normally he is quite good, we drop off our wheels and pick them up later as he also works on cars in another workshop next to the bike workshop.
    All he said was.... All i can say is sorry, i wont charge you for fitting the tyres, bring it back when its done and i will fit the tyre!

I looked at the damage and said.. that's an expensive f*ck up, and he still said.... all i can say is sorry

Today i take the wheel back to the powder shop, i have already sent them pictures of the damage to warn them and they are mad as hell over what he has done.

When i go back to the tyre fitter, i will ask him if he is helping pay for the damage... if not, then i will post the pictures locally to warn other bikers what he did and that he never paid for his f*ck up.
    Word of mouth will hit him in the wallet more than paying for the repair, as i will make sure everybody knows.

My wife is in the garage trade, so she will also pass the info around the garage traders... its bad enough happening to me, but at least i can stop it happening to others.

Andy

Wiggy, you have and are continuing to go about this ordeal totally wrong. Upon being notified your perfectly powder coated wheel had been damaged, you should’ve immediately demanded THEY pay to have the wheels refinished. They know the damaged your wheel, just as well as you know it. You should never have allowed the guy at the shop to dictate to you how things were going to work from the point they damaged your wheel. At that point, you should’ve taken control of the situation, and held them responsible for everything regarding the repair of your powder coated wheel. Moreover, you should’ve never informed them to put on the rear wheel. In fact, you should not have allowed them to do anything else with your bike. You should’ve made them cover the cost to repair your wheel, and found another/much better and reliable shop to do the work for you. Essentially, you paid to have your wheels powder coated, took the wheels to a shop where they were subsequently damaged by someone at that shop, and then you paid again to have your wheels redone. That’s asinine, to say the least.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    Guys,
    I wanted to bling my wheels up a bit and got them powder coated.... loved the work.
    Today i went to get the new tyres fitted at my local garage and thought nothing of it until i get a phone call from the fitter saying one wheel has a chip in the paint?
    And do i want to get it fixed first?

Well i took the wheels down to his place and they was perfect when i left them, i was the one who rebuild them after the powder coating, so again i know they was perfect.
    So i asked how bad it was and he said it is a one in chip in the paint, and he would not lie to me... that's how he found them. So i told him to do the front wheel and i will sort the other later.

Later on i went to pick them up and see the damage, all he said was... All i can say is sorry, they must have fell and they was not keyed very well as the paint has just chipped off!
    By now my blood is boiling and say to him.. that's a very expensive **** up!
    And he says.... well i wont charge you for fitting this wheel, fix the other one and bring it back

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A&B Motors wheel 1a.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	389322 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A&B Motors wheel 1b.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	389324
    I counted 12 small chips and 1 one inch chip... all on one side only!
    The colour is Candy Blue, as my bike is a Blue LE

Andy
    How about before leaving after dropping off your tires at the tire shop, show them and also take pictures of the condition of the rim. That I would say is the way to go. There is no denying any damages done to the rim. I guess you live and learn. Good luck!

Very Active Member

Man, you keep making mistakes … Now that you know the kind of work that they do , after you re-coat the wheel , stay the hell away from these people and go to a certified shop that will install your wheels correctly .
    I agree on you announcing what it has been done to you , so other people would not make the same mistake and will hurt this guy`s wallet , but I would not take my bike there again .

Default Tyre fitter hell

I took both wheels to have new tyres, i have used the garage loads of times before and had no trouble.
    He fitted the front tyre and i told him to leave the back one, from the damage done... i thought it was from him using the tyre lever.

After speaking to the powder guys... they all say it was dropped onto the face (hence only one side damaged), and they also asked if the fitter was paying for the repair?
    The look on the powder guys face once he see the damage... the crew came out to see and they was as mad as me!!

I will be speaking the the garage owner when i take the rear wheel back for the tyre to be fitted and stay there until it is completed, i want to know what the owner has to say before i go any further.
    This is not something i will let go, i might have paid the price... but i can make sure he don't do it to others!

JUDAH-9
    Yes i could have done other things, but at the time i would have slapped the guy and lost control... then i lose and get tossed in a cell.
    I waited 4 hours before i went to collect the one wheel not damaged with tyre fitted along with the rear damaged wheel and tyre, i had to cool down first, as i wanted to kill the f*cker.

I don't have many places around here that fits tyres as big as we use, their machines won't take the larger size (i did buy a set of levers and have a go myself.. soon gave up). So asking other local bikers where they go, and got a few more places to take mine from now on (even found a mobile tyre fitter who will come to me, if i need it)

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    I took both wheels to have new tyres, i have used the garage loads of times before and had no trouble.
    He fitted the front tyre and i told him to leave the back one, from the damage done... i thought it was from him using the tyre lever.

After speaking to the powder guys... they all say it was dropped onto the face (hence only one side damaged), and they also asked if the fitter was paying for the repair?
    The look on the powder guys face once he see the damage... the crew came out to see and they was as mad as me!!

I will be speaking the the garage owner when i take the rear wheel back for the tyre to be fitted and stay there until it is completed, i want to know what the owner has to say before i go any further.
    This is not something i will let go, i might have paid the price... but i can make sure he don't do it to others!

JUDAH-9
    Yes i could have done other things, but at the time i would have slapped the guy and lost control... then i lose and get tossed in a cell.
    I waited 4 hours before i went to collect the one wheel not damaged with tyre fitted along with the rear damaged wheel and tyre, i had to cool down first, as i wanted to kill the f*cker.

I don't have many places around here that fits tyres as big as we use, their machines won't take the larger size (i did buy a set of levers and have a go myself.. soon gave up). So asking other local bikers where they go, and got a few more places to take mine from now on (even found a mobile tyre fitter who will come to me, if i need it)

Andy
    I hear you loud and clear Wiggy. However, whether you were upset or not, you should’ve NEVER allowed them to fabricate the narrative that your wheel was damaged when you brought them to their shop. I just had some powder coating work completed about two weeks ago, on a SwampWorks 2-Piece Swing Arm. The company I do business with uses a double coating process, and the work was 100% flawless. When I get around to having it installed on my 14’ model 9, there’s absolutely no way in hell that anyone at any shop is going to be able to tell me that there was already some pre-existing damage or imperfections on it, prior to the start of their installation process. In fact, I’m going to let the shop owner/manager know, and I’m going to show him/her that the parts are flawless, and any damage caused to any of my parts, will be repaired/redone by the same shop, at the expense his/her company...not by me.

I honesty hope everything works out for you, as you have definitely been wronged by a bike shop comprised of people with absolutely no integrity or moral courage/commitment to do the right thing...even and especially when the problems were created by their own employees. Moreover, I hope you learned a valuable lesson in holding people fully responsible and accountable for their errors/mistakes on the front end of situations, instead of on the back end, while paying a second time out of your own pocket for something you’ve already paid for once...and ultimately expecting that company to step up and do the right thing by reimbursing you, after having already lied to you about the damage THEY created to begin with.