New to M109Rs - What is this for? Hiding under the rh cover?

Thread: New to M109Rs - What is this for? Hiding under the rh cover?

Default New to M109Rs - What is this for? Hiding under the rh cover?

Hi
    My first post as I just bought my first M109R, in Canberra australia!

I'm fixing the indicators (as they flash fast after 3 seconds even though they are not leds?), is this the flash unit in front of the battery? I want to replace it with an LED compatible one as all my indicators are broken and taped/glued up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0351.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	389320

Also, when I removed the side covers, I noticed this unit on the side hanging by one cable tie? Is it something to do with the stock exhaust (I have aftermarket pipes?).

Name:	IMG_0349.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	389316

I also have to re-fit the stock pipes for registration as the new pipes are deep and loud and shoot flames which they won't like!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	58 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	389318  

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by edz_M109r View Post
    Hi

I'm fixing the indicators (as they flash fast after 3 seconds even though they are not leds?), is this the flash unit in front of the battery? I want to replace it with an LED compatible one as all my indicators are broken and taped/glued up.

Also, when I removed the side covers, I noticed this unit on the side hanging by one cable tie? Is it something to do with the stock exhaust (I have aftermarket pipes?).

I also have to re-fit the stock pipes for registration as the new pipes are deep and loud and shoot flames which they won't like!
    If your talking about that small black cable, it's probably the power to a tuner of some kind. I have the Cobra FI2000 powrpro black, and it has to be connected to the battery in the same way. Although my unit is located near the battery, looks like yours is under your tank. Maybe a power commander or something, not sure where they are mounted. It's definitely a power cable of some sort. The zip tie looks to be the servo motor. It is usually mounted on the exhaust. I would guess you have an aftermarket exhaust. You could just get a servo elimitator and remove that whole motor all together. I did the same thing when I upgraded to the freedom exhaust. If you don't have the motor left in, your FI light will come on, which is why most people just buy the eliminator so they can just throw that motor away. Atleast that is what I got from those pictures.
    "Life is what you make it..."

It's kinda interesting they zip tied that motor on, the servo buddy is only like $50.

https://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-Suzu...5769133&sr=8-1

This is what I got and works perfect.
    "Life is what you make it..."

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Hi

The first pic there should be two relays one on the right side mounted horizontally and a larger on on the left mounted vertically. The one on the left is the flasher/kickstand safety switch (it's a multi function relay) you can just barely see the side of the relay in that pic. It is almost directly below the screw with the rubber cushion. If you do a search on the forum you will find tons of info and LED compatible flasher relays, fairly cheap at least in the states

The second pic is defiantly your stock exhaust servo. Keep it, flash the ECM or get the eliminator are the only options. Just as Fate said, do not unplug and discard it.
    Last edited by Frotosride; 1 Week Ago at 01:03 AM.
    "Beat it like a red-headed Ford":
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit

Oh and welcome to the forum but most importantly, welcome to the Beast!
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Frotosride View Post
    Oh and welcome to the forum but most importantly, welcome to the Beast!
    Thank you! Yes the key-tag on my bike is labeled 'Black Betty' by the previous owner which I think is an appropriate name.

Yes, she does have aftermarket pipes so I will follow up on the eliminator. What does the exhaust servo motor actually do, never come across them before?

I don't like the current pipes so I'm going to sell them and fit the cobra swept pipes, just have to decide on black or chrome. The current pipes spit flames I rev it a little but I'll have to quieten them or fit the standard pipes for rego i imagine. I'll put some restrictors in first and see how I go.

That wire to the battery only goes to the earth, so I'll find out what it does when I remove the tank to fix the dent/scrape I put into it when I dropped it as it was coming off the box trailer.
    There is no wire to the positive post so not sure what they added. The PO's were obviously a bit rough in their work.

This is the dent and my current pipes.

Name:	Tank-dent-from-trailer-25-7-20-s.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	389404

I suppose, I may as well get a ghost skull and flames at the same time if I'm fixing the dent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tank-dent-from-trailer-25-7-20-resize.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	389402  
    Last edited by edz_M109r; 3 Days Ago at 07:07 AM.

[QUOTE=edz_M109r;4003354]Thank you! Yes the key-tag on my bike is labeled 'Black Betty' by the previous owner which I think is an appropriate name.

Yes, she does have aftermarket pipes so I will follow up on the eliminator. What does the exhaust servo motor actually do, never come across them before?

Read about it here:

https://www.skutr.net/exhaust-valves...ors-explained/

[QUOTE=thevili;4003356]
    Thank you! Yes the key-tag on my bike is labeled 'Black Betty' by the previous owner which I think is an appropriate name.

Read about it here:

https://www.skutr.net/exhaust-valves...ors-explained/
    Tah for that 'thevili', that's a great explanation. I'll have to chase one down, Amazon are out of them and ouch, they are $127 on ebay by the time you pay postage and gst.

You can always get it flashed out of the ECM and a few other upgrades as well with the flash. I have mine in the exact same place on my BOSS because I'm waiting to get/fabricate a better intake and then get the flash from BCS.

Pipes....go black!
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

Quote Originally Posted by Frotosride View Post
    You can always get it flashed out of the ECM and a few other upgrades as well with the flash. I have mine in the exact same place on my BOSS because I'm waiting to get/fabricate a better intake and then get the flash from BCS.

Pipes....go black!
    Absolutely, I'm going to sell of the old pipes and fit the black Cobra swept pipes, they look much better. Had them on my Honda Fury.

Another question, when I removed the right-hand plastic side covers, mine has a little cylinder connecting the two 3 pin plugs, and a wire going off to earth? It's part of the cable that runs down into the bottom of the motor on the lower right, not sure what this either? My Yamaha has nothing like this.

Also, I was refitting the standard pipes as part of making it quieter for rego and found one of the O2 sensor plugs unplugged behind the lefthand radiator cowl?

Not sure what the PO has done? Any ideas? I would have thought at the very least you would have to wire in a resistor into it to stop triggering an error? Maybe I'll find one when I remove the tank to fit my heated grips?

Name:	2-8-20-cables-1a.jpg 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	389430 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-8-20-cables-2b.jpg 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	389432