Loss of power. Not what it used to be.

Thread: Loss of power. Not what it used to be.

Default Loss of power. Not what it used to be.

Hey everyone! I read alot here but don't post much. But now I am having a problem with my 08 LE with 13,000 miles on it.
    It always starts right up....never dies or does anything drastic. It just seems to have less power. It doesn't pull hard thru 2nd and 3rd gear like it used to. The exhaust seems to have a slightly different tone as well. I first noticed that when cruising at about 35mph in 3rd gear, it feels like it has a very slight surge. Kind of feels like a gust of headwind hitting you causing a very slight surging feel. No FI light on. Has custom exhaust, intakes and controller that was all on it when I bought it 5 years ago with 9,000 miles on it. So I have only put 4,000 miles on it 5 years. I was thinking maybe a spark plug issue? Maybe only 1 plug firing on one of the cylinders? Is that possible. Fuel filter? Any Ideas? Plugs look like kind of a pain to replace. Same with fuel filter/strainer so I don't want to just throw parts at it....Let me know if you have any suggestions......Thanks for the help!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I would certainly be looking at the fuel filter it is not that difficult to do and some clean fuel .

Fuel filter is more than likely the culprit. On my 06, I had to change it the first time around 11,000 miles. The second around 22,000. The third around 33,000. So around 11,000 per filter. Pretty easy to do. One other time I thought it was the filter, around 15,000 miles. Ended up being the fuel cap. There is a little sliver of metal in there that acts as a kind of one-way valve. It got out of place somehow, and the tank couldn't breathe in air to replace the fuel taken out. The tank would get a vacuum in it, and the fuel would not flow. Had to take the cap apart and reposition that little sliver. I have no idea how it got out of position.

When the filter first starts to get bad, yeah, acceleration suffers. Won't take full throttle at all, bogs badly. When it really gets bad, it'll start to die as you are slowing down for stops.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

How old is the fuel in the tank and does your beast have a TRE?
    H.C. Velocity Pro, Cobra Power Pro Black, Cobra Engine Guards, ISO Blk Grips, National Cycle VStream Tour, Kuryakyn Switchblade Pegs, G/M TRE, .....

Consider also the GPS (gear position sensor).

On my 2007 with 55K miles it's never been replaced and I'm sure that it's the reason why my ATRE does not show the correct gear I'm in. And also I'm sure it's the reason why the engine does not run smooth ... but ... surprise ... on the few moments when the ATRE works great, also the engine runs smoothly.

For info, I've changed the ATRE one month ago and the problem persists, so it's time now to look at the GPS
    Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number its number is M109R.

The fuel is new...it has been this way for the last couple of tanks. I always run premium fuel. I don't know if it has a TRE? I will replace plugs and fuel filter and see what happens...
    Where is the best place to order these from?

Thanks for the advise!!

Quote Originally Posted by JustBCuzz View Post
    Hey everyone! I read alot here but don't post much. But now I am having a problem with my 08 LE with 13,000 miles on it.
    It always starts right up....never dies or does anything drastic. It just seems to have less power. It doesn't pull hard thru 2nd and 3rd gear like it used to. The exhaust seems to have a slightly different tone as well. I first noticed that when cruising at about 35mph in 3rd gear, it feels like it has a very slight surge. Kind of feels like a gust of headwind hitting you causing a very slight surging feel. No FI light on. Has custom exhaust, intakes and controller that was all on it when I bought it 5 years ago with 9,000 miles on it. So I have only put 4,000 miles on it 5 years. I was thinking maybe a spark plug issue? Maybe only 1 plug firing on one of the cylinders? Is that possible. Fuel filter? Any Ideas? Plugs look like kind of a pain to replace. Same with fuel filter/strainer so I don't want to just throw parts at it....Let me know if you have any suggestions......Thanks for the help!!
    Check all the connections of the controller, some of the older ones
    were known to have poor contacts... If in doubt, solder them.
    Last edited by thevili; 1 Week Ago at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dommy View Post
    Consider also the GPS (gear position sensor).

On my 2007 with 55K miles it's never been replaced and I'm sure that it's the reason why my ATRE does not show the correct gear I'm in. And also I'm sure it's the reason why the engine does not run smooth ... but ... surprise ... on the few moments when the ATRE works great, also the engine runs smoothly.

For info, I've changed the ATRE one month ago and the problem persists, so it's time now to look at the GPS
    I have a 2006 and as far as I know, it doesn't have a Gear Position Sensor. If it does, I have no clue what it does since I do not have a gear position indicator. Didn't think 07s have it either. The ones I have looked at don't.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

I'm having the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    I have a 2006 and as far as I know, it doesn't have a Gear Position Sensor. If it does, I have no clue what it does since I do not have a gear position indicator. Didn't think 07s have it either. The ones I have looked at don't.
    They all have a GPS from '06-up. This is what tells the ECM to retard the timing in 1-3 gears and why the TRE and XTRE were invented. It's located on the clutch side of the bike just behind the rear of the cover. It is possible for the resistors to be fried or wires broke or simply loose connector.
    "Beat it like a red-headed Ford":
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit