Viking Bags and Quick Disconnect

Thread: Viking Bags and Quick Disconnect

Default Viking Bags and Quick Disconnect

I purchased a nice pair of Viking Bags with the quick disconnect kit. I've seen some pics on here of the bags mounted with these kits and they seem to stick out a bit much from the back of the bike. I also have the Suzuki passenger back rest so they may even stick out more of mounted with the kit. I'm not sure which way I want to go. Has anyone done anything to get the bags closer to the bike?

I'm also curious if the bags rattle with the QD kit or if their pretty solid.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

I tried Viking's QD a few years ago. Don't remember which bike I did it on or any other details (I run Tsukayu bags on my '9). Anyway, the bags stick waaay out and I ended up giving away the bags and QDs.

Fast forward to a month or so ago, I installed Viking bags on my Victory Hammer. I bought bolts (supplied bolts were the wrong diameter) and installed them backwards into the threaded mounting points on the rear fender. Bolt heads are inside the fender with adequate clearance with the rear tire. Used loctite and double nuts to lock them in. This resulted in the threads pointing outboard, toward the bags. I used washers and nuts to attach the bags.

The bags sit close to the fender. If I need to remove the bags, it's just a few minutes with a wrench or socket to remove the nuts and washers. I stash the fasteners in the pouch inside the exhaust side bag.

With the bags removed, you still see the threaded end of the bolts sticking out, so you may not want to go this route. I only remove the bags for maintenance on the bike, so it doesn't concern me.

I have VikingBags and the EasyBracket mounting system and the touring backrest... I can say this, I dare not put more than 5-7 lbs of stuff in those bags (even the CruzTools kit I put in there) as when I am driving down the road, I can feel them "flapping" if you will. The do stick out quite a bit from the bike, more than I would like. The bags themselves seem to be pretty sturdy but after the few rides I have been on where I have had the saddlebags attached, I haven't felt comfortable with the amount of flex they allow with the two mounting points. when my wife followed me home one nite, she said the same thing, they were bouncing a lot after bumps and that is when they were empty. so I don't ride with them and instead just use a backpack that I will strap down to the passenger backrest. this is just my experience and opinion, others seem to like them. but I think I am in the same boat as you thinking that bringing them in closer to the bike with more support wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	389258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	389260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16.jpg 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	389262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15.jpg 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	389264  
    Last edited by MonsterMash; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:36 AM.
    you got your jesus on the dashboard, the devil's under my hood. you're takin' down to legal, i'm pulling it up to no good. god is your co-pilot, i let satan ride shotgun, you pay a toll to get to heaven, but on the road to hell there's none.....

Navy - Its not just a job, its an adventure

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I think I will install the bags without the QD mounts. I saw another post somewhere (maybe FB) that they had machined the top end of the Viking saddle bag mount to replace the spacer between the mount for the backrest and the fender. This brought the bag in nice and snug. I think I may explore that option.

I have Ghost mounts with hard back leather bags. Yes, they do stick out quite a bit, but that is because the curvature of the rear fender. If the rear fender was straight (like most bikes) they wouldn't stick out as much. I hardly use the bags and think they take away from the styling of the bike, but sometimes they are handy to have.
    BTW ... I usually have the brackets off the bike .. only 2 bolts on each side.
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!