M109 Rider Forums banner

Taptaptap under load

820 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  tozz2010 
#1 ·
hello all, when accelerating under load the engine give a tapping noise but as soon as i roll off the gas it goes away ,most noticable when inow gears and i turn on the gas but in general when i speed up , been told its normal itd a 2013 with 6 thou on clock

#5 ·
97 octane? Where do you live? Not the USA for certain. Here in the USA, our pumps show the octane in the (R + M)/2 method. The Motor Octane method shows a lower number. The Research Octane method shows a higher number. Ours is halfway in between. Likely your numbers on the pumps are the Research Method. If you look at the chart I posted below, you can see some examples. For example, a Research number of 100.5 is the same as our 95, and a 90 in the Motor method. So crunching numbers, your 97 would be about the same as our 92.5, or 93. Yeah, you shouldn't be pinging. I've had it happen here once, likely the tank truck driver put the wrong fuel in the underground tanks. It was a Shell station, I put 91 in my Ranger, and it was pinging as I was driving out of the place. Horribly. Never went back to the station, and it's now torn down. :D

https://www.smithtex.com/racing/fuelcomp.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.