Clutch replacement

Thread: Clutch replacement

Default Clutch replacement

So my newly purchased beautiful 09í needs a clutch. On the test ride anything over half throttle and the clutch slips.... and yes Iíve checked the cable on both ends for adjustment

Iím very good with a set of wrenches but this will be my first time doing a wet clutch on a bike and looking for the proper way of replacing the clutch plates, I intend on buying OEM parts as well

I remember seeing at one time the new plates need to pre-soak in oil, but for how long? 24 hours?

Anything else to check while I have the right cover off?

Thanks for any advice

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
    So my newly purchased beautiful 09í needs a clutch. On the test ride anything over half throttle and the clutch slips.... and yes Iíve checked the cable on both ends for adjustment

Iím very good with a set of wrenches but this will be my first time doing a wet clutch on a bike and looking for the proper way of replacing the clutch plates, I intend on buying OEM parts as well

I remember seeing at one time the new plates need to pre-soak in oil, but for how long? 24 hours?

Anything else to check while I have the right cover off?

Thanks for any advice

I soaked mine for 24 hrs in a Tupperware container.

Chrispy, if you havenít already, you may want to seriously consider purchasing an 11í year model or newer set of clutch plates and springs for your replacement. 2011 was the first year Suzuki upgraded the clutch plates and springs to prevent the clutch shudder and hard shifting from 1st to 2nd gear that many had experienced with the 06í-09í models. The cost is not much different, but the results could be astronomically different.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Unrelated question, but what exhaust is that?

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Chrispy, if you havenít already, you may want to seriously consider purchasing an 11í year model or newer set of clutch plates and springs for your replacement. 2011 was the first year Suzuki upgraded the clutch plates and springs to prevent the clutch shudder and hard shifting from 1st to 2nd gear that many had experienced with the 06í-09í models. The cost is not much different, but the results could be astronomically different.
    Is that all that is needed for the upgrade? Just the clutch plates and springs?

This idea was on the back of my mind but wasnít sure of exactly what was needed

Quote Originally Posted by Gary E View Post
    Unrelated question, but what exhaust is that?
    I bought the bike as you see it, so if you or anyone can tell me what exhaust it is, Iíd love to know too lol

This idea was on the back of my mind but wasnít sure of exactly what was needed
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=297921

This idea was on the back of my mind but wasn’t sure of exactly what was needed
    My understanding is all you’ll need are the clutch Plates and Clutch Springs, unless there are other components within your clutch assembly that need to be replaced, due to wear/improper functioning. I’ve added a link to Oneida Suzuki that may help you. Also, you can do a search on this Forum on this topic, in which all the necessary parts are listed.

NOTE***I edited this post, because I think I was wrong about the number of Clutch Plates and Springs required.

https://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/p...109r-2015.html
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:38 AM.

Thanks for the link Poseidon, seems easy enough for the upgrade

Judah, Iím planning to tear into the bike in a day or two to make sure itís only the clutch plates that need to be replaced before ordering parts, hopefully I wonít find any surprises lol

You may want to consider replacing also the clutch's sleeve hub with the 2011 on part.
    One out of the 5 spring is held in place and this reduces vibrations and noise considerably at idle - I did on my 2007 model and the bike is much more silent at idle
    Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number its number is M109R.

Default 2008 C109R Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Quick question....are the clutch plates on a C the same as the M

Default Is the PIN mod needed if upgrade clutch plates ?

I'm having periodic clutch issues and am considering replacing the clutch on my '07. I was wondering if I do replace clutch with the newer clutch plates, do I still need to do the pin mod (ie: grind down 3 surfaces on the pin) ?
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

Same. I got a used 2016. No idea what exhaust I got.

Finally received my clutch parts and ready to get to work on it tomorrow!