Do you miss 6th gear?

Thread: Do you miss 6th gear?

Default Do you miss 6th gear?

Hi all. I currently have a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 and am moving up to a larger bike so i can travel more than the backroads. THe Vulcan is a 5 speed desperately in need of a 6th gear!

I was going to get the M109 but the more I thought about it, I canít even carry a bottle of water on it... So I discovered the C109RT.

My question is when in 5th gear at highway speeds, say 75=80 what RPM are you at? And, is the bike whining and wanting to have a 6th gear? I donít want to be in the same situation I am now. If thatís the case Iíll buy a 6 speed Nomad or something.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by badbolr View Post
    Hi all. I currently have a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 and am moving up to a larger bike so i can travel more than the backroads. THe Vulcan is a 5 speed desperately in need of a 6th gear!

I was going to get the M109 but the more I thought about it, I canít even carry a bottle of water on it... So I discovered the C109RT.

My question is when in 5th gear at highway speeds, say 75=80 what RPM are you at? And, is the bike whining and wanting to have a 6th gear? I donít want to be in the same situation I am now. If thatís the case Iíll buy a 6 speed Nomad or something.

Thanks
    My BIL has a C109. I have a M109R. Neither of us miss a 6th gear. I don't recall what my RPM is at that speed but the bike certainly can be "pushed" more. His C109 does not have a tach but I'd assume it would be close to mine, if I looked down and made not of it!

What matters is the gear ratio, not how many gears it has. Everyone gets hung up on 6 speed vs 5 speed. It doesnít matter if it had 26 speeds. What matters is if the final over drive is geared right for the motor on the bike or not.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

At the time I purchased my first M109R, it was a bit different going from my 6 speed Kawasaki ZX-14R with six gears to my M109R with five gears. However, I quickly got past that minor difference. Also, at 75-80 mph Iím usually still in 4th gear, and I believe my rpms are around 4800-5000 at that point. Iím not 100% sure on the rpms, because I donít pay much attention to it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    At the time I purchased my first M109R, it was a bit different going from my 6 speed Kawasaki ZX-14R with six gears to my M109R with five gears. However, I quickly got past that minor difference. Also, at 75-80 mph Iím usually still in 4th gear, and I believe my rpms are around 4800-5000 at that point. Iím not 100% sure on the rpms, because I donít pay much attention to it anymore.
    I agree I am never in 5th until on the Freeway doing 70-80...

5th has lots power still too! I have had her to about 112 I think...
    ~Stitch

2008 M109R2 AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. by STARK INDUSTRIES

You cannot even compare the Vulcan 900 to the 109 C or M. The first time you crank the throttle you won't care.

Keep in mind this is a M109R but at 75 mph mine tachs right at 3200 to 3300 rpm in 5th with plenty of power to spare. Not sure about the C109 but with it being the slightly "domesticated" model it may tach a little lower but I'm sure you won't care. Red line is 7200ish so you are really just getting started at 75 mph.

The only reason I would like to see a 6th is for a little better milage when just cruising.
    Last edited by UVATom; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:10 PM.

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

Yesterday while riding at 90 mph my tach read 4900 rpms in 4th gear. After 8 years of owning my M109R, I didn't realize it had a 5th gear.

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by BIG MIKE 109R View Post
    Yesterday while riding at 90 mph my tach read 4900 rpms in 4th gear. After 8 years of owning my M109R, I didn't realize it had a 5th gear.
    😂😂😂... Thereís no way I believe that about you Big Mike. I bet youíve pushed the heck out of your 9 on many occasions...and thereís absolutely nothing wrong with that. That sounds about right on the rpms you stated you see at around 90 mph. Iíve had my 07í model up to as fast as 145 mph a few times (rarely) over the 12 years Iíve owned it, and around 130 mph on my 08í Crushed Chrome model just a couple of times over the last year. However, the majority of the time while riding, I never get out of 4th gear. Iíve noticed Iíve become less of a daredevil or risk-taker as Iíve grown a bit older, wiser, and much more mature and analytical in my thought process.

Thanks
    I know EXACTLY what you mean, I came from a 2014 Vulcan 900, loved the bike and ran the interstate at 75-80 but at those speeds I am looking for another gear. I just purchased a new to me M109R last week, I have not had much seat time but wasn't having that feeling at 75-80mph with this bike.

The M109R I bought has a sissy bar, I took an old backpack, removed the straps and mounted it on the sissy bar. I am thinking about taking the saddlebags off my Vulcan and coming up with a quick release system to mount them on the M109R.

I ride my 06 M109R around town and in the city in third and fourth gear. I use fifth gear as an overdrive gear and only on the highway when above 50 mph or more.

I have a B-King with a six speed, and I do the same thing with sixth gear on it as I do with fifth on my Nine.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

... There’s no way I believe that about you Big Mike. I bet you’ve pushed the heck out of your 9 on many occasions...and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. That sounds about right on the rpms you stated you see at around 90 mph. I’ve had my 07’ model up to as fast as 145 mph a few times (rarely) over the 12 years I’ve owned it, and around 130 mph on my 08’ Crushed Chrome model just a couple of times over the last year. However, the majority of the time while riding, I never get out of 4th gear. I’ve noticed I’ve become less of a daredevil or risk-taker as I’ve grown a bit older, wiser, and much more mature and analytical in my thought process.
    You're right Bobby that bike I've pushed my bike in triple digits on many occasions. I remember riding with my son in Florida with a group of sport bikes. There were 100 bikes and only two cruisers (C90 and M109R) among them. We opened up our bikes on a new 5 mile stretch of highway. I got up to 135 mph and the 12 women in the group on Hayabusas shot around me like I was standing still. The road captains were great and we had no accidents. Since then I make sure to ride with ATGATT because a casual ride could turn into a spirited ride.
    Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_4012 (1).jpg†
Views:	94†
Size:	70.0 KB†
ID:	389266
    Last edited by BIG MIKE 109R; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:07 PM.

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

C
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG MIKE 109R View Post
    You're right Bobby that bike I've pushed my bike in triple digits on many occasions. I remember riding with my son in Florida with a group of sport bikes. There were 100 bikes and only two cruisers (C90 and M109R) among them. We opened up our bikes on a new 5 mile stretch of highway. I got up to 135 mph and the 12 women in the group on Hayabusas shot around me like I was standing still. The road captains were great and we had no accidents. Since then I make sure to ride with ATGATT because a casual ride could turn into a spirited ride.
    Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_4012 (1).jpg†
Views:	94†
Size:	70.0 KB†
ID:	389266
    I hear you Bro. I knew you were a bit of a ďRoad Burner.Ē 135 feels so good and liberating on an M109R. However, itís just simply not nearly enough to compete with those Busas. I did the same thing to riders on Cruisers, when I had my my Kawasaki ZX-14R. That thing was a MONSTER!!! Having just said that, the M109R is my all time favorite of all the bikes I have ever owned.😎😁👍🏽👊🏽🏆🏆🏆👊🏽👍🏽😁😎

Default So Can I go wrong?

Thanks
    Ok, so you all set me straight with regards to not needing 6th gear. There are less than 25 of these for sale across the country. Five or less Touring models. I notice there is no Ivan ECU mod for the 109 either. So this bike is rare for sure. Any way I can go wrong choosing this big cruiser? What donít you like about it?

I sat on one last Saturday. I didnít have a helmet that fit (unexpected find for sale when I was out of town) so I couldnít ride it. It is definitely a beast! And that tank is so wide. Are the reviews accurate that once you get it moving itís surprisingly easy to handle?

I rode my Vulcan 900 today 125 miles on the backroads. THe entire trip all I could think was how much fun it would be on a bigger bike with more power to hit some of the straights. And he 20 miles I did on the freeway - not to get blown all around!

So I guess Iím looking for some straight feedback. Whatever I get this time Iím going to have awhile - or get divorced. I was leaning towards this, then the Concours 14. But as much as I like the Concours and the sport/touring style, Iím not sure I want to deal with all that plastic (especially if it falls) or the heat from the full fairing. I think the cruiser style is going to have to be it. Now, which bike These are priced very low and have great reviews so itís hard to justify not getting one. I like the M109 but I think Iím going to want to go some distance so the C109 is better suited.

Appreciate any input.

Thank you!

Ok, so you all set me straight with regards to not needing 6th gear. There are less than 25 of these for sale across the country. Five or less Touring models. I notice there is no Ivan ECU mod for the 109 either. So this bike is rare for sure. Any way I can go wrong choosing this big cruiser? What donít you like about it?

I sat on one last Saturday. I didnít have a helmet that fit (unexpected find for sale when I was out of town) so I couldnít ride it. It is definitely a beast! And that tank is so wide. Are the reviews accurate that once you get it moving itís surprisingly easy to handle?

I rode my Vulcan 900 today 125 miles on the backroads. THe entire trip all I could think was how much fun it would be on a bigger bike with more power to hit some of the straights. And he 20 miles I did on the freeway - not to get blown all around!

So I guess Iím looking for some straight feedback. Whatever I get this time Iím going to have awhile - or get divorced. I was leaning towards this, then the Concours 14. But as much as I like the Concours and the sport/touring style, Iím not sure I want to deal with all that plastic (especially if it falls) or the heat from the full fairing. I think the cruiser style is going to have to be it. Now, which bike These are priced very low and have great reviews so itís hard to justify not getting one. I like the M109 but I think Iím going to want to go some distance so the C109 is better suited.

Appreciate any input.

Thank you!
    you asked for straight feed back so...

For what you are wanting it for, my advice probably will not be the popular vote on this site. I would recommend the Concours14. With the power windshield, you can get plenty of air flow if you want it and have great protection from wind and rain when you donít want it, all at the touch of a button It offers lots of storage, performance, excellent handling, and in my opinion, a comfortable ride in stock form. (ie no aftermarket seat, bars, risers, etc needed) just make sure you get a 2015 or newer one. The upgrades, while subtle, make a huge difference. Aftermarket pipe and an ECU flash will get you 150hp+ to the rear wheel and over 100 ft lbs of torque.

if you eliminate the Connie, then it is going to boil down to which one of the 9s (M or C) has the Features that are most important to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    you asked for straight feed back so...

For what you are wanting it for, my advice probably will not be the popular vote on this site. I would recommend the Concours14. With the power windshield, you can get plenty of air flow if you want it and have great protection from wind and rain when you donít want it, all at the touch of a button It offers lots of storage, performance, excellent handling, and in my opinion, a comfortable ride in stock form. (ie no aftermarket seat, bars, risers, etc needed) just make sure you get a 2015 or newer one. The upgrades, while subtle, make a huge difference. Aftermarket pipe and an ECU flash will get you 150hp+ to the rear wheel and over 100 ft lbs of torque.

if you eliminate the Connie, then it is going to boil down to which one of the 9s (M or C) has the Features that are most important to you.
    Well, I already let the perfect 2015 go with 4500 miles because I couldnít pull the trigger. Pretty much the available ones within a reasonable distance are 2012. Iím not going to pay the prices they want for the 2015s on the market after I could have gotten one for $2k less. I have read about the changes but the guys who have pre-2015 love them just the same. Best would be the better braking set up and the windshield changes. But I appreciate the input. I agree with your thoughts but like I said, I think what drives me away from the Connie is the plastic and the cost if anything happens to it. When I rode the 2015 I still felt plenty of wind at 85 on I-95 and in the forum guys are still chasing against the wind, better seat, etc. Hard to decide!!!

I have only owned two bikes, my 2014 Vulcan 900 and now this M109R and I have not ridden a Connie. I will tell you, the difference between my Vulcan and M109R is night and day. I am not sure which Vulcan you had, mine as a custom that has that very narrow tire, even with the wider front tire, I feel like the M109R handles better and groves in the pavement do not upset the bike near as much. If yours is the classic, it would have handled differently and probably not have been upset by those grooves as bad as my custom.

As far as wind, I am not sure, I feel a lot more wind and feel like I am tossed more on the M109R than the Vulcan but, the Vulcan had a windshield and the M109R didn't so I can't really compare the two. The things I do like a lot better is the transmission is much smoother on my Vulcan and the throttle not as touchy but that comes with the power difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mfolkert View Post
    I have only owned two bikes, my 2014 Vulcan 900 and now this M109R and I have not ridden a Connie. I will tell you, the difference between my Vulcan and M109R is night and day. I am not sure which Vulcan you had, mine as a custom that has that very narrow tire, even with the wider front tire, I feel like the M109R handles better and groves in the pavement do not upset the bike near as much. If yours is the classic, it would have handled differently and probably not have been upset by those grooves as bad as my custom.

As far as wind, I am not sure, I feel a lot more wind and feel like I am tossed more on the M109R than the Vulcan but, the Vulcan had a windshield and the M109R didn't so I can't really compare the two. The things I do like a lot better is the transmission is much smoother on my Vulcan and the throttle not as touchy but that comes with the power difference.
    I have the Vulcan 900 Classic LT. Again I waited too long and the C109RT I was considering was sold today. I got me a brand new mustang seat for the Vulcan today for half price. If this seat solves the butt issues, I think I’m going to just ride the Vulcan until off season and hope I find the exact bike I want. I like the C109 in burgundy. I think I’ll skip the touring if I get a C109 and add my own batwing fairing And a 9” spoiler screen.. Or, if I find another great deal on a 2015 and up Concours, may still do that. The longer I ride the Vulcan however the more likely I’ll stick to a cruiser. Every time I’m on the backroads for 50 miles or more I enjoy the laid back ride - minus the butt pain! Just would like a bit more boost when I want it or the Vulcan would be perfect. Saying that, I should just keep the Vulcan and buy a Concours too! Yep, I think that is the best plan...

I have the Vulcan 900 Classic LT. Again I waited too long and the C109RT I was considering was sold today. I got me a brand new mustang seat for the Vulcan today for half price. If this seat solves the butt issues, I think Iím going to just ride the Vulcan until off season and hope I find the exact bike I want. I like the C109 in burgundy. I think Iíll skip the touring if I get a C109 and add my own batwing fairing And a 9Ē spoiler screen.. Or, if I find another great deal on a 2015 and up Concours, may still do that. The longer I ride the Vulcan however the more likely Iíll stick to a cruiser. Every time Iím on the backroads for 50 miles or more I enjoy the laid back ride - minus the butt pain! Just would like a bit more boost when I want it or the Vulcan would be perfect. Saying that, I should just keep the Vulcan and buy a Concours too! Yep, I think that is the best plan...
    The mustang seat will solve the butt pain on the Vulcan, that was the best mod on my Vulcan, I would have gotten a mustang for the M109R if they made one.

Quote Originally Posted by mfolkert View Post
    The mustang seat will solve the butt pain on the Vulcan, that was the best mod on my Vulcan, I would have gotten a mustang for the M109R if they made one.
    Yeah, not at all... the Mustang doubled my distance before the butt burn/numbness. But right at 70ish miles it kicked right in full bore. Plus, Iíve lost seat room. That back wedge thing is too far toward the tank and effectively cut the seat depth by 25% or more. Itís like a seat for my wife! Definitely not the answer for me...

Lucky I got a great deal so I can resell it to someone it may work for. First, Iím going to send my stock seat in to Russell Day Rider. If that donít work nothing will...

Itís very disappointing that whatever forum Iím in people are chasing seat comfort if they do anything beyond 25 mile cruise the strip rides. Makes no sense for MFGs not to spend R&D dollars to develop a seat that will allow the bike to be ridden without pain.

Although a bit on the expensive side of things, the Corbin Seats are undeniably a very comfortable solution to the uncomfortable seat issue. Many might assert that they are the BEST solution. I for one, are one of those folks. Iíve had modified stock seats, Suzuki Gel Seats, and Ultimate Seats for my 9s over time. However, none of them could even come close to comparing to the comfort and high-quality workmanship of the Corbin Seats I have. For me, the Corbin Seats are in an ultra-elite league, all by themselves. Iíll definitely be purchasing another full set with both rider and passenger backrests for my 14í model 9, once the majority of the custom work and upgrades have been completed. I also have a full Corbin Seat for my Honda Rune, and itís incredibly comfortable.

Although a bit on the expensive side of things, the Corbin Seats are undeniably a very comfortable solution to the uncomfortable seat issue. Many might assert that they are the BEST solution. I for one, are one of those folks. Iíve had modified stock seats, Suzuki Gel Seats, and Ultimate Seats for my 9s over time. However, none of them could even come close to comparing to the comfort and high-quality workmanship of the Corbin Seats I have. For me, the Corbin Seats are in an ultra-elite league, all by themselves. Iíll definitely be purchasing another full set with both rider and passenger backrests for my 14í model 9, once the majority of the custom work and upgrades have been completed. I also have a full Corbin Seat for my Honda Rune, and itís incredibly comfortable.
    Yeah, unfortunately everyoneís butt and back is different. Many in the forums say the Corbin didnít work for them. Many swear by Mustang. Others by Ultimate. Still others, the Russell. I think each person has to keep trying (at great cost) until they [hopefully] find the right one for them. If I donít get a C109 Iím looking at a Kawasaki Concours with a Corbin. If I go that way, hopefully it feels GREAT on my butt and my search will be over 😉