New to 109riders

Thread: New to 109riders

Default New to 109riders

Presently working hard on finding the right M109R for myself, looking for advice on what to check to find the good one !
    Thanks for adding me to this great forum !

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

Welcome to the forum! When I am looking for a new bike (especially a M109) I keep in mind that the prices can be all over the place. But the fact is that the beast has been mostly unchanged since 2006. With that being said, there are some 10 year old bikes out there with under 15k miles. I would prefer to go with a 2011 or newer, as there were a couple of upgrades that might help with the dreaded transmission issue. Keep in mind also that not all older bikes had 2nd gear issues, and not all new ones are going to be good. The only thing to do is test ride it. Go through the gears and then give it the juice in 2nd gear. If it doesn't try to jump out of gear, then that is a good sign. Even though the older ones are just as dependable, and I like the chrome more than the 2015 and up "boss" editions, I do know that for me the 2011 and up shifted smoother. Also when pricing, if someone starts telling you the KBB or NADA price is , walk away. No one pays KBB anymore (atleast I don't). I try to buy any vehicle between trade in value and private party value. Many people will overprice their vehicles, wanting to get the money out of their mods. But keep in mind that mod money is only worth about $.50 on the $1.00. And most important is to be patient and shop around. Good luck shopping.

Welcome, watch for Poseidon or JUDAH-9 some other guys that forgotten more than I know! LOL
    ~Stitch

2008 M109R2 AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. by STARK INDUSTRIES

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Welcome to the forum! When I am looking for a new bike (especially a M109) I keep in mind that the prices can be all over the place. But the fact is that the beast has been mostly unchanged since 2006. With that being said, there are some 10 year old bikes out there with under 15k miles. I would prefer to go with a 2011 or newer, as there were a couple of upgrades that might help with the dreaded transmission issue. Keep in mind also that not all older bikes had 2nd gear issues, and not all new ones are going to be good. The only thing to do is test ride it. Go through the gears and then give it the juice in 2nd gear. If it doesn't try to jump out of gear, then that is a good sign. Even though the older ones are just as dependable, and I like the chrome more than the 2015 and up "boss" editions, I do know that for me the 2011 and up shifted smoother. Also when pricing, if someone starts telling you the KBB or NADA price is , walk away. No one pays KBB anymore (atleast I don't). I try to buy any vehicle between trade in value and private party value. Many people will overprice their vehicles, wanting to get the money out of their mods. But keep in mind that mod money is only worth about $.50 on the $1.00. And most important is to be patient and shop around. Good luck shopping.
    ^^^^^ That is the best response the OP could hope for. You hit the nail on the head with your response B.L. I currently own an 07’, 08’, and 14’ model M109R. Without any mods or upgrades, my 14’ shifts like butter, compared to my 07’ model, which has had the Push Pin modified, but will soon be getting a G-Man Bushing or a Shift Star installed, because it still shifts a bit to hard from 1st to 2nd gear. However, my 08’ shifts just as smooth as my 14’ model, due to the fact that it has a Shift Star added, and the Push Pin mod has been performed on the bike. To reiterate what B.L. stated...let patience be your guide and best friend, in your search for a very good used M109R. Don’t jump at the first thing, just because it looks like a good deal on the surface. Do your due diligence by test riding it (if possible), asking all the questions you can think of about the history and maintenance of the bike, and ask the current owner to provide documentation of the service history of the bike. For example, this is what happened when I bought my used 2014 LE model M109R in September, 2019. I purchased my used 14’ model M109R with only 1,306 miles on it for a mere $7,000.00. It already had a practically brand new Full Length Black Ceramic Coated Velocity Pro exhaust, aftermarket Spiked Air Intakes, and a Cobra Fi2000 Fuel Tuner installed. In my case, I wasn’t able to test ride the bike, because I was in San Antonio, TX. and the seller was located in Tennessee. Plus, there wasn’t much the seller could provide me, in terms of service records, due to the bike having only 1,306 miles on it. However, we had lots of detailed conversations over the phone, he provided me with tons of pictures of the bike, and he provided me proof of everything he had in the way of documentation, from the day he had bought the bike brand new from the dealer in 2015.

To the OP...good luck with your search, and be diligent about every single detail and aspect of any/every M109R you’re interested in. Things will work out just fine, and you’ll finally become the owner of an M109R BEAUTIFUL-BEAST!!!😎😁😊👍👍👍😊😁😎

Second gear seems to be a problem for some. Mine has 95,000 miles or so and yes the shift from first to second is tricky but I started to shift early at low rpms and it shifts fine. I have not had it shudder even once that I can think of but again others do; so they do the pin mod.

Things to look at or ask about are the motor mounts, clutch cable, look at any mods that have been done and make sure they seem to be done right. There is a lot of bad wiring out there. If you can ride it then check for clutch slippage depending on the mileage. The most important thing is to talk and look at the current owner. A lot of the time you can tell how the bike has been treated by impressions you get from the owner. This is a power cruiser so they tend to be abused. If he looks like a "wheelie guy" then move on to the next one.

The best advice is to check here with pictures and price before buying and a lot of info can be given by the members here.

Older models are chrome and the tach is on the bars. Newer models have the tach behind the cowl and have a gear indicator. The clutches were updated in 2011 but mostly it's the same bike from 06. If it's a BOSS then it's probably the same as a brand new one which really can be purchased for a really good price right now. I just prefer the chrome myself.
    Last edited by UVATom; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:52 PM.

Welcome aboard! There is not much that I could add that hasn’t already been said. Good luck with your search. Don’t completely exclude brand a new 9. I’ve seen brand new 9s advertised for $9k- $10k on a regular basis. I even saw one on the dealer floor with $8799 a couple of years back. There are definitely deals to be had in the used market on low mileage 9s tho. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramster109R View Post
    Presently working hard on finding the right M109R for myself, looking for advice on what to check to find the good one !
    Thanks for adding me to this great forum !
    I applaud you for joining this forum while actively looking for a nine. Many people buy the bike before joining, it could be a costly mistake because you really don't know what to be on the lookout for. Good luck in your search.

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

Welcome to the Forum! I spent three months researching information on the forum. I spent another four months looking for my 109 and drove three hours from home to purchase it. I've been smiling the eight years that she's been in my possession. Let the Good Times Roll!

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE