M109 Rider Forums banner

Year Differences

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  BorderlandBiker 
#1 ·
Looking at buying one but struggling to find info on what changes were made over the years, the only real noticeable one I know of is the rev counter placement. Does anyone know what changes were made over the years? Also from looking at owners manuals it appears Canadian models have a different primary drive ratio which would overall lower the gearing, is this true? I live in NZ but we do have a few import models that were sold over here.

#2 ·
Welcome! In 2011 (2010 in parts of the world that sold them), there was the movement of the tack and a gear indicator was added. They also did a slight clutch upgrade to the transmission. They also changed the manufacturer of the wheels and went to a 5 spoke instead of the 6 spoke pattern of 2009 and older. With that change, the quality was a little lower. This is only noticable if you want to have your wheels chromed or polished. They are still good, but has a few more imperfections than the previous models when they are stripped. Starting in 2007, there was always 3 colors per year, and one LE color (one of the colors was always black). But in 2014 they had 3 colors, a LE color, and the first Boss (blacked out version). In 2015 black as a color and chrome for the exhaust was taken away from the options. Starting that year, you could only get what was called their BOSS editions. It has been that way up until today. I hope this helps you some. I have owned 4, and am always on the look out for my next one. Although it has been almost 2 years since I sold my last one, a 2013. Good luck.

#5 · (Edited)
Nice bike. But check very carefully and ask questions. The reason it has the earlier wheels is because it is not a 2011. In the US, that color scheme was for a 2009 LE model. Question them on the model year. Good luck.
BTW, the tack relocation is something that was a mod done to many who had the earlier models. Check to see if the relocated tack has a gear indicator on it. My guess would be no.

#8 · (Edited)
Lol, yup spoke to the seller today, even though he is arguing like hell its a 2011 he told me it doesn't have the gear position indicator and he did indeed relocate the rev counter so yup, its 100% a 2009, pity as it is a pretty nice bike, I'm sticking to my guns and definitely want a 2010 or later as due to illness this will be my last bike ever so want to get exactly what I want. For similar money I may go and look at this one as its pretty close to where I live, its an American import as what happened over here in NZ is Suzuki used to run summer specials and the used to import left over stock from the USA and sell them here as cheaper summer deals, which probably makes this silver and black one actually a 2014.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2664308566

#12 ·
There are some good deals out there if you are patient and know where to look. Found a 2014 with 300 miles for $7,000, found an 06 with 9400 miles for $4,000, and then found an 2013 with under 11k miles for $6,000. The 2013 seemed to be the best deal if you want a modded one. It had fairing, corbin seat, sideburner exhaust, hard bags, and a killer stereo (speakers also mounted in the bags). I am just trying to decide if I am going to pick up my 5th 9. Wife is looking at another car, but not sure which direction I am going.

#13 ·
If I'm not mistaken, from a certain tear on (2009 or 2011) Suzuki improved the design of the crankcase forks, probably to prevent the 2nd gear failure.

Plenty of info here on the board.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.