M109 Rider Forums banner

New Member - How far?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  kodiakrider 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. Just joined. Strongly considering buying an M109 after doing a bunch of reading/research. I’ve seen several bikes for sale with 60k miles or more. So my assumption is they are getting ridden and can go many miles. My question is many reviews harp on they aren’t for long distance. In your opinions is that true? If it is, how many miles could I expect to Comfortably ride on the M109? I’m speaking to position comfort, wind issues, etc.

Thank You

#2 ·
Hello everyone. Just joined. Strongly considering buying an M109 after doing a bunch of reading/research. I've seen several bikes for sale with 60k miles or more. So my assumption is they are getting ridden and can go many miles. My question is many reviews harp on they aren't for long distance. In your opinions is that true? If it is, how many miles could I expect to Comfortably ride on the M109? I'm speaking to position comfort, wind issues, etc.

Thank You
That will vary for many im sure... Also long rides you WILL want upgraded seat!

#3 ·
Depends how far you want to go. I've set mine up for just that. Been a long road and compared to a Harley not as expensive. I loved the power from the start and have been riding Suzuki for 42 years and reliability is there as well. Last Saturday did a Cannonball 500 which is miles not kilometers. So over 900 kilometers when done in about 11 hours. Wouldn't be able to do that comfortably and enjoyably without Corbin seat, fairing, hard bags and top quality stereo, pull back risers, upgraded foot rests. On holiday rides for 2 weeks I can do 8 hours a day in the saddle without discomfort. This is my first season with fairing. Previously had Vstream tall touring with rifle lowers and worked great.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Two years ago I rode 3k miles in 9 days towing a trailer with zero issues other than my butt. I still had the stock seat. I got an Ultimate seat last year and rode to Sturgis from Wichita Kansas with zero butt burn. You will not regret getting one. I've had my 07 for four years now, and I still look back at her after I park and walk away.

#7 ·
Your blue bike is awesome but I don’t want to go through all that or spend all that money. I don’t think there is a bike I’ve heard of that you don’t need a seat. But I want to add a seat and some sort of windshield and be done with it - and still be able to somewhat comfortably ride 500 miles with stops. Otherwise, I may as well sacrifice power cruiser and get a voyager or nomad. I like the look of this bike stock and I don’t want to drastically change the lines.

#11 ·
I have done 500+ mile days on mine. Most of my day rides are 300+ miles. Never had a windshield on it. That said, I prefer to take longer rides on either of my other two bikes. This is mostly due to saddle bags for storage. Having a windshield and fairing is definitely a plus for comfort and less fatigue at the end of the day. It all depends on what you want and what is most important to you. A friend of mine will do 500+ mile days on a hayabusa. He has done weekend trips with us as well. He just straps on some small saddlebags and a tail bag.

#12 ·
Hello everyone. Just joined. Strongly considering buying an M109 after doing a bunch of reading/research. I've seen several bikes for sale with 60k miles or more. So my assumption is they are getting ridden and can go many miles. My question is many reviews harp on they aren't for long distance. In your opinions is that true? If it is, how many miles could I expect to Comfortably ride on the M109? I'm speaking to position comfort, wind issues, etc.

Thank You
I have never had an issue with taking long rides on my bike. Good luck!

#13 ·
While my 06 did have a Suzuki SPORT windshield on it for a year or two, and a TOURING for maybe three months, I eventually decided I don't like the looks of a Nine with a windshield. So removed them and they are holding down a shelf in my garage. I did go with a Suzuki full cut gel seat, which is a YUGE improvement over the stock s eat for distance riding. Since my bike has shorter risers than stock, I like the wind to hit me in the chest and buoy me up a little bit at speed. So a windshield would ruin that affect.

#15 ·
Long Ride Seat Comfort

Thank You
Not sure how you define a long ride. But, I had a nine in Charlotte, NC. I would ride from Charlotte to blowing rock or Fancy Gap Va. From there I would ride the Blue Ridge parkway down to Little Switzerland the to Lake Lure, finally to the express way for quick haul back to Charlotte. in all it was a full days ride - about 10 hours. I had no problem with the stock seat. As far as wind was concerned that was only an issue on the expressway. Still, there is plenty of room to lean forward to the tank and tuck under the head light which does act as a faring. No wind under there and still easy to see the road ahead. I would ride like that for about an hour back to Charlotte @80-100 mph when the expressway was clear no problem.

Best,
Glenn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.