Found a couple of 9 for sale - thinking of driving 4.5hrs to go look at it. opinions?

Thread: Found a couple of 9 for sale - thinking of driving 4.5hrs to go look at it. opinions?

Question Found a couple of 9 for sale - thinking of driving 4.5hrs to go look at it. opinions?

Bike 1: Lower km's but has (IMO) a stupid wrap and plasti-dip on it.. I can take it off but yeah.. It's also a 2007 and I'm worried about transmission.
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...09r/1504207758

Bike 2: HIGH km's - 2008, looks nice.
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...09r/1503254527

Any feedback would be great.. Going to see a friend in that area tomorrow so I'm debating on taking a trailer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default 9 for sale

Personally, i would go for bike two...
    The bike is stock and you can do your own thing to make it "your bike" by adding or removing things to your taste and it really looks well maintained.
    Chrome is a bit of a git to keep shiny, and bike two is still shiny.. to the last owner took time and care over it and that means everything to me.

Andy

I second that opinion, bike number two looks a lot cleaner. More than likely better maintenance comes along with cleaner looking. Bike number one looks kind of beat up, only my opinion. Another draw back to bike number one would be it requires some cleaning up before you can comfortably ride around town on it. Keep this in mind, it may seem easy to clean up, but it’s never as easy as it seems. It almost always turns into a bigger project than you imagined after rolling up your sleeves and delving into it. Go ahead and bring that trailer down there, you won’t regret it. Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I would go with no 2 for sure, the mileage isn't an issue if its had regular oil changes. "Custom" to me usually translates as bodged

Default Miles not an issue?

I was thinking the same in a way.. the miles on it just scare me that's all.. 48,000km's .. I mean it is a 2008 which did better on the 2nd gear issue? .. maybe I'm wrong on that..
    However the first bike being a 2007 which for SURE was an issue that I've read, AND with things like a power commander on it etc.. I'm thinking it wasn't used for Sunday drives.. that 18,000km's is probably harder than all 48,000 of the other bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Winner View Post
    I was thinking the same in a way.. the miles on it just scare me that's all.. 48,000km's .. I mean it is a 2008 which did better on the 2nd gear i ssue? .. maybe I'm wrong on that..
    However the first bike being a 2007 which for SURE was an issue that I've read, AND with things like a power commander on it etc.. I'm thinking it wasn't used for Sunday drives.. that 18,000km's is probably harder than all 48,000 of the other bike.

They all have 2nd gear issues. Earlier ones had hollow shift forks and a few other items were upgrades after 2012. But 2nd gear can happen to any of them. There are no "better" years then others to be honest. I have seen 100,000 miles 2006 models with no issues and 2019 model with 1300 miles with 2nd gear issue. But you will find more early models with problems then later ones. And I think part of that is... drum roll... because they are older, partly, and some of it is how people ride and if they have the weaker shift fork. But to summarize no specific year is problem free of possibly 2nd gear issues.

Default Good way to test?

I have heard from a few people if you're going to test ride one. Take it out and straight.. Get it on a road and shift into 2nd.. get it up to 6000rpm and hold it for a bit. If it drops .. it drops.
    ?
    Maybe that's right or not? I don't know.
    If there's any other "pro tips" i'm open to hear them.
    Like everyone - I don't wanna drive a long way.. fork over a lot of cash and then be sunk on it..
    I don't "custom" my bikes except for after market seats and grips for comfort.
    I don't care to do power comannders etc.. I treat my bikes like they were made of glass and love them like a child. So I don't plan on honking on it.

Number 2 ould also be my choice much cleaner machine and looks better maintained jmo. Good luck which ever you decide

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

Number two would be my choice. Ask if the front motor mounts been changed.

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by BIG MIKE 109R View Post
    Number two would be my choice. Ask if the front motor mounts been changed.
    May I ask why?

Bike 2, make it yours... Bike 1 has whole lot going on there!
    ~Stitch

2008 M109R2 AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. by STARK INDUSTRIES

Front motor mounts are relatively soft rubber that wear, people usually replace them with the ones for the rear of the engine as they are made from harder rubber, not a difficult job if you have basic skills, plenty of information on this site about them.

neither #1 nor #2. I saw that you are looking for around 6k bike so my choice would be:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-moto-chopper...3000?undefined

Default I got the 109!

Quote Originally Posted by Winner View Post
    looks good, congratulations and welcome to the club. Good decision. I would have done the same. While checking out the pictures I noticed two things that I would do immediately. I would remove the reflectors front and rear and also remove the chrome edging at the tip of the front fender if the paint is not damaged. It would make the bike look just a little cleaner in my opinion. I think you might be right about the decal, I would replace it with the oem badge, the current one looks a little overwhelming. Good luck and enjoy that beast!