Oversquare motors rock

Thread: Oversquare motors rock

Thanks for the add! Long time gearhead here. If it drives, rides, flies or floats I’m in. Traded my Husky dirt bike for a VTX 1300 to go riding with my girl. Always rode sport bikes, new to cruisers - but wow, 61 hp ain’t much when the bike weighs over 700 lbs with gear loaded up in the trunk and saddlebags....imagine my delight to find that the M109R’s rear cover comes right off - leaving room for a rear seat! I haven’t been this excited to buy a vehicle in many moons. This big-piston overquare factory rat motor will be mine all mine! Any advice before I buy would be appreciated. My first question: The “R2” in ‘08 is supposed to be a bit smoother due to the minor crankshaft change. Can you really even notice? Is it worth finding an R2? Or should I just pick my favorite color lol?
    Last edited by Mach5; 2 Days Ago at 11:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Welcome aboard. Just pick the color you like unless you prefer the headlight on the R2. The crank shaft change you mentioned is news to me. If Suzuki made a change to it, I seriously doubt it was only done to the R2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach5 View Post
    Thanks for the add! Long time gearhead here. If it drives, rides, flies or floats I’m in. Traded my Husky dirt bike for a VTX 1300 to go riding with my girl. Always rode sport bikes, new to cruisers - but wow, 61 hp ain’t much when the bike weighs over 700 lbs with gear loaded up in the trunk and saddlebags....imagine my delight to find that the M109R’s rear cover comes right off - leaving room for a rear seat! I haven’t been this excited to buy a vehicle in many moons. This big-piston overquare factory rat motor will be mine all mine! Any advice before I buy would be appreciated. My first question: The “R2” in ‘08 is supposed to be a bit smoother due to the minor crankshaft change. Can you really even notice? Is it worth finding an R2? Or should I just pick my favorite color lol?
    I love my R2 and was only made '08&09 but never heard of this shaft change but others here know a lot more than myself...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tire.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	389008
    https://www.tiktok.com/@stitchsloftl...951301?lang=en

LINK to TOP SPEED review for 2008...

REVIEW from FIRST RIDE
    "The R2 is being called "a variation of the original," but the only tweak here is the headlight and an upgrade to metal engine covers (from plastic). The aerodynamic configuration features a less bulky nacelle than the M109R's-the R2 takes that nacelle and slices it at an angle, much like you would a piece of bologna. The result seems sportier, but really we're just happy the Boulevard-iers didn't screw with the original's dyno-chart-busting performance."
    Last edited by StitchsLoft; 23 Hours Ago at 11:28 AM.
    ~Stitch

2008 M109R2 AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. by STARK INDUSTRIES

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Thanks appreciate the info! I’ll just pick a color but it’s a bit harder than I thought lol. Sometimes the better price/deal is on the less favorite color bike....you know how it goes.