stock airbox question

Thread: stock airbox question

Default stock airbox question

I was going through a few things for the new owner and was checking air filters. When I removed the left side box there is a small hose coming out of the box (plugged with cap) and then another hose coming from under tank that was not connected.
    Should the two hose connect to each other or does the one on the box stay plugged, and the one coming from motor connect to box?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

The plugged hose is the drain hose the top should be connected to the air box

Interesting, not sure why you had a cap on yours. I have a 2011 and I just recently mod'd my air filters. The small tube should be connected to the air filter. There should be a metal pinch ring that hold that hose on to your filter. It's an overflow tube. I can't remember what exactly it is called, but yes, usually it is connected to your air filter housing. Not sure why yours would be capped on the filter housing.....course I'm not a mechanic so maybe there's a purpose for that.
    "Life is what you make it..."

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fate9176 View Post
    Interesting, not sure why you had a cap on yours. I have a 2011 and I just recently mod'd my air filters. The small tube should be connected to the air filter. There should be a metal pinch ring that hold that hose on to your filter. It's an overflow tube. I can't remember what exactly it is called, but yes, usually it is connected to your air filter housing. Not sure why yours would be capped on the filter housing.....course I'm not a mechanic so maybe there's a purpose for that.
    Thanks guys- looks like it was capped from the factor and perhaps whomever installed didn't pull the cap out. Would the other hose not connected to the air box cause any driveability issues?

It's an overflow of some sort. Someone else with more exact knowledge could probably explain a bit better. I would connect it. Course that's just me. The overflow is there for a reason. Someone was probably just lazy putting the filter on and forgot about that hose. I've read posts where people have changed their filter and totally forgot about that hose to. Just not something to look for when your thinking of air filter. I would remove the cap and put the hose back on, not sure if you have the metal clip that hose on it, but it connects pretty snug, not sure if you need it. **Keep in mind, this is just my opinion, I would just remove the cap and connect it like it is suppose to go.
    "Life is what you make it..."

When the motor is over filled with oil, the oil is pushed up into the air box. It then drains down the hose you found into the intakes. Previous owner probably disconnected them to prevent ruining the air filters if the oil was ever over filled. It is not critical that they be connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    When the motor is over filled with oil, the oil is pushed up into the air box. It then drains down the hose you found into the intakes. Previous owner probably disconnected them to prevent ruining the air filters if the oil was ever over filled. It is not critical that they be connected.
    preciate it- I connected hose back and removed plug

Quote Originally Posted by treky22 View Post
    I was going through a few things for the new owner and was checking air filters. When I removed the left side box there is a small hose coming out of the box (plugged with cap) and then another hose coming from under tank that was not connected.
    Should the two hose connect to each other or does the one on the box stay plugged, and the one coming from motor connect to box?
    The plugged hose is an air box drain hose. The upper hose should be pushed in to (connected) to a small nipple in the air box. It is a crankcase breather tube.

The earlier 9’s come out of the factory with the cap in the overflow, in the unlikely event water or condensation build up in the air filter unit