Weird cling when pull clutch in at 3rd.

Thread: Weird cling when pull clutch in at 3rd.

Default Weird cling when pull clutch in at 3rd.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Figured I would reach out and see if anyone might have an idea on what this might be. 2 days ago, I installed spike air intake. I rode it around after I installed them and rode fine. Took it out last night and when I was in 3rd, I pulled the clutch in and I heard a ping coming from the engine. Almost sounded like it came from the bottom right side. It only happened for a split second. When I got to my destination, I kicked it into neutral and it almost sounded like it was rattling. It was faint, but you and I know that when you listen to your engine for a long time, you know when something sounds outta place. When I left, I drove down the street and everything sounded fine, then coming home, the same ping when I was in third. Again, only for a second. When I got home, no rattling in neutral thou. I have a 2011 M109 with only 3k miles on it, so engine hasn't really been rode much. It's weird I only hear it when I am in third and only for a split second. Anyone have an idea what this might be, or if it's something I should be really worried about right now? Going to ride more today and see if I hear it. Didn't get much of a chance to ride it around yesterday, was kind of cold and windy with storms rolling in. Thanks for reading.
    "Life is what you make it..."

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Not sure exactly what the "cling" noise might be. Maybe he's mad because he's so old and barely used..😜

But seriously, I can tell you what's on that side of the engine, maybe you can think you way through the noise.
    Front to back is the actual clutch assembly, then all the output gears that leads to the primary out put shaft and balance shaft and oil pump drive. It could be the clutch disengaging the pressure plates. May have some sticking. 3rd gear may be simply the engine load allowing you to hear it.
    "Beat it like a red-headed Ford":
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit

Thanks for the reply. I took it to the shop and had the tech listen to it, he said the engine sounds fine. He wasn't able to drive it down the road. What he did say is that the new air intake might be causing some fuel/oxy issues. I've meant to get a fuel/management device, so took this opportunity to purchase one. I ended up buying the Cobra FI2000 Powrpro Black. Mainly because I'm lazy and don't want to bother messing with the setting. haha. Going to change the exhaust eventually, so this was just a needed first step anyway. We'll see if there is any change. Should be here in a few days. Thanks again for the info.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Well I installed the Cobra Fi2000 and the cling went away. Wonder if I was having some weird fuel/oxy issue. That was kind of interesting to install. I also removed my headlight, which was different. The 2011 is different that older years since the tach is attached to the housing. I'm uploading the videos to youtube, because I had a hard time finding a good descriptive video for doing both. I'll post links to the video when I get them uploaded. Taking forever to upload.

On a quick side note. The app for the Cobra Fi2000 Powrpro Black does not seem to work on android. I have a note9 with Android 10 installed. Talked with tech support and read through posts, it seems that the app has a hard time working with the new android ios. The device still works fine and since it auto tunes, there really isn't much you need to do. It's just inconvenient if you want to adjust the settings outside of the standard settings. Hopefully they will fix the app soon. Figured I'd let people know incase anyone was looking to buy this device. It works great thou, it's just an app problem.

It's nice when it's simple!
    "Beat it like a red-headed Ford":
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit