at 40K miles metal shavings (brass) on oil pan...

Thread: at 40K miles metal shavings (brass) on oil pan...

Default at 40K miles metal shavings (brass) on oil pan...

Any suggestion on this issue at this stage of the bike milage?
    I appreciate
    Thanks
    [SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by juanramon View Post
    Any suggestion on this issue at this stage of the bike milage?
    I appreciate
    Thanks
    Really matters which drain plug it is coming from, front or rear? How low was the oil when it was drained?
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    Really matters which drain plug it is coming from, front or rear? How low was the oil when it was drained?
    Hi
    I appreciate your response. The oil is less than 2K miles. My mechanic, last year strip the threat on the oil pan ( front), which they fix with a kit of some sort , five month they replace clutch cable which broke within last week at the lever, when they when in to the replace the new one they claim to go in the motor ( right side) to make adjustment ( which they said they had to drain the oil. When putting the oil back the nut started to leak, slowly but steady...at this time they said i needed a new oil pan because of the threat issue ..... when replaced yesterday is when they notified me of the metal shavings in the old oil pan....
    [SIGPIC]

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

The only brass in the motor is the shift forks. You are likely about to have to do the famous 2nd gear repair. What is happening is your 2nd gear is putting pressure on the shift fork and grinding it. Soon it will start popping out of gear. Many threads on that repair here.

Quote Originally Posted by Syler View Post
    The only brass in the motor is the shift forks. You are likely about to have to do the famous 2nd gear repair. What is happening is your 2nd gear is putting pressure on the shift fork and grinding it. Soon it will start popping out of gear. Many threads on that repair here.
    I appreciate the response, you know what this job entails ?
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by juanramon View Post
    I appreciate the response, you know what this job entails ?
    Yes, I just did it. You will have to remove the motor, turn it upside down and remove the lower case. You will replace at least the one shift fork. You will send your gears out to be inspected and back-cut. There is a guy in FL (R&D?) or something who does it and sells an upgraded fork and slide rod. Replace all that, and reassemble. There are a couple complete build threads on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Syler View Post
    Yes, I just did it. You will have to remove the motor, turn it upside down and remove the lower case. You will replace at least the one shift fork. You will send your gears out to be inspected and back-cut. There is a guy in FL (R&D?) or something who does it and sells an upgraded fork and slide rod. Replace all that, and reassemble. There are a couple complete build threads on here.
    Thanks buddy, I will look that up!
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member

I found this the other day. This is my old shift fork. Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200629_170031_1594231389173.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	389066  

I'm heading on 37,000 soon. Haven't had the issue yet with my 06. But a friend with an 06 has. Twice. Whenever I ride with him, I think most of it is his shifting technique. I can always hear his first-to-second shift, when riding. He still to this day grinds it badly when making that shift. I keep telling him, shift it like you mean it. He doesn't, and then has second gear problems.

Hopefully, you get this issue resolved. I still see multiple 06's out here. Saw a blurple one the other day, Sunday while out riding my favorite twisty road.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Just to be clear, the shift forks are not made of brass---- a magnet would tell you that. The tips of the forks do have a discolored plating on them---- but rarely wear off. Now, if it is the transmission-- rear drain plug, then the gears are where you would see the damage and usually only one of the 3 shift forks. For repair of this, you can not just pull the engine and flip it up side down to repair it. The rear head and cylinder have to come off first and then it can be flipped over for repair. All those shavings from that area will be steel and can be proven so by a magnet.
    Now, if the shavings are from the front drain plug, well that most likely would be from a connecting rod or crankshaft bearing material. That material is not magnetic.
    Either way it will cost money to repair, either way the engine has to be pulled, either way will not be a fun route for you.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Very Active Member

Regardless of the actual type of metal, the shift forks are the only goldish brass looking metal used in the bike. I must admit I was curious as to the metal used but didn't care that much. There is a video on YouTube of a guy who appears to have removed the bottom without removing anything up top. Perhaps I missed that part because I pulled my heads for porting and polishing anyway. Bottom line, if it's a gold colored metal, it's the shift fork. There is no other gold colored metal in the bike.