at 40K miles metal shavings (brass) on oil pan...
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: at 40K miles metal shavings (brass) on oil pan...

  1. #1
    Very Active Member juanramon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Longwood,Florida
    Posts
    503

    Default at 40K miles metal shavings (brass) on oil pan...

    Any suggestion on this issue at this stage of the bike milage?
    I appreciate
    Thanks
    [SIGPIC]

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member futurR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    2,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juanramon View Post
    Any suggestion on this issue at this stage of the bike milage?
    I appreciate
    Thanks
    Really matters which drain plug it is coming from, front or rear? How low was the oil when it was drained?
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

  4. #3
    Very Active Member juanramon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Longwood,Florida
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    Really matters which drain plug it is coming from, front or rear? How low was the oil when it was drained?
    Hi
    I appreciate your response. The oil is less than 2K miles. My mechanic, last year strip the threat on the oil pan ( front), which they fix with a kit of some sort , five month they replace clutch cable which broke within last week at the lever, when they when in to the replace the new one they claim to go in the motor ( right side) to make adjustment ( which they said they had to drain the oil. When putting the oil back the nut started to leak, slowly but steady...at this time they said i needed a new oil pan because of the threat issue ..... when replaced yesterday is when they notified me of the metal shavings in the old oil pan....
    [SIGPIC]

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    334

    Default

    The only brass in the motor is the shift forks. You are likely about to have to do the famous 2nd gear repair. What is happening is your 2nd gear is putting pressure on the shift fork and grinding it. Soon it will start popping out of gear. Many threads on that repair here.

  7. #5
    Very Active Member juanramon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Longwood,Florida
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Syler View Post
    The only brass in the motor is the shift forks. You are likely about to have to do the famous 2nd gear repair. What is happening is your 2nd gear is putting pressure on the shift fork and grinding it. Soon it will start popping out of gear. Many threads on that repair here.
    I appreciate the response, you know what this job entails ?
    [SIGPIC]

  8. #6
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juanramon View Post
    I appreciate the response, you know what this job entails ?
    Yes, I just did it. You will have to remove the motor, turn it upside down and remove the lower case. You will replace at least the one shift fork. You will send your gears out to be inspected and back-cut. There is a guy in FL (R&D?) or something who does it and sells an upgraded fork and slide rod. Replace all that, and reassemble. There are a couple complete build threads on here.

  9. #7
    Very Active Member juanramon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Longwood,Florida
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Syler View Post
    Yes, I just did it. You will have to remove the motor, turn it upside down and remove the lower case. You will replace at least the one shift fork. You will send your gears out to be inspected and back-cut. There is a guy in FL (R&D?) or something who does it and sells an upgraded fork and slide rod. Replace all that, and reassemble. There are a couple complete build threads on here.
    Thanks buddy, I will look that up!
    [SIGPIC]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->