Final drive hot

Thread: Final drive hot

Default Final drive hot

Just an FYI. I posted about a hot final drive as in hot enough I couldn’t hold my hand on the final drive for 3-4 seconds. Changed oil , no visible filings and nothing out of the ordinary. Another 200 km ride with a few stops and kept checking for heat. I couldn’t touch the final drive for even 1second. Not overly hot that day and no extra weight. Anyway I pulled the back wheel off and checked wheel bearings... they’re shot and transferring heat to the final drive. Wanted to let everyone know it’s something to consider if you’re having a heat issue with your final drive. 55000 kilometres on the bike.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    Just an FYI. I posted about a hot final drive as in hot enough I couldn’t hold my hand on the final drive for 3-4 seconds. Changed oil , no visible filings and nothing out of the ordinary. Another 200 km ride with a few stops and kept checking for heat. I couldn’t touch the final drive for even 1second. Not overly hot that day and no extra weight. Anyway I pulled the back wheel off and checked wheel bearings... they’re shot and transferring heat to the final drive. Wanted to let everyone know it’s something to consider if you’re having a heat issue with your final drive. 55000 kilometres on the bike.
    Good to know BMAC, thanks for sharing. That's what it's all about getting all the info on the Nine onto this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    Shot wheel bearings .. how many miles/kms on the bike ? I can't say that I've heard of worn bearings.
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by asillito View Post
    Shot wheel bearings .. how many miles/kms on the bike ? I can't say that I've heard of worn bearings.
    Yeah, me either. And here I am riding a 14 year old M109R and I've never even bothered to put my hands on the "pumpkin". Never will. Even though it's overkill, I change the final drive oil every time I change the engine oil. It's only like 10 ounces or some small number like that. I use the same 75/140 that my Lightning takes, since I always have some in the garage. Only takes a few minutes and you can do it while waiting torthe crankcase to finish draining.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by asillito View Post
    about 32000 miles/ 55000 kilometers. I found it odd as well. I change final drive oil every year. I took the bike for a ride to warm everything up before a engine and final drive oil change. During the oil change I noticed that the pumpkin seemed warmer than it should be which made me check it frequently. I went for a ride with a couple buddies with 109's and checked their final drive temperature against mine. Theirs was warm (could keep my hand on it without any problems) mine was so hot you couldn't touch it for a second. Anyway pulled the back tire off to check things out and found the bearings were grinding badly. They are a sealed bearing. I couldn't find anything that would suggest that there is anything else failing. I guess those bearings were just at the end of their life. Will see if I find anything else wrong in there and make sure to post any findings.