Bike shuts off, for a second while riding.

Thread: Bike shuts off, for a second while riding.

Default Bike shuts off, for a second while riding.

I have a strange occurrence happen a couple of times in the last month with my M109r.

The first time it happened, I was cruising on the freeway about 85 MPH, about 15 minutes into my commute the tachometer went blank, and the bike shut off. I thought that maybe I didn't have the key all the way switched, so i reached down, turned the key off and back on, the bike started up and ran perfect. All this happened in a couple of seconds. The FI light did not come on.

The second time it happened, me and my son were coming back from the coast towards the end of a 450 mile ride. Once again, just cruising, open straight road, the tach went blank again, and then it all came back on. I told him through my headset what happened and he said my tail light didn't blink.

The bike runs great, but not sure what could cause this. I did swap in a new Odessey battery, but I cleaned the terminals with a dremel, so I know they are good. Any idea on what to check would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Mine does that . Its the kickstand on mine . It barely touches the switch. It slowly moves down and kills the engine.

Kickstand has double springs, one inside the other. There's really no way it should move down. Those are strong springs. Maybe the switch can be adjusted to keep it in firmer contact? Or maybe a previous owner removed one of the springs.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Kickstand has double springs, one inside the other. There's really no way it should move down. Those are strong springs. Maybe the switch can be adjusted to keep it in firmer contact? Or maybe a previous owner removed one of the springs.
    happens all the time to me kick it back up and it runs again.

Check the bolt on the kickstand to make sure it's tight.

When I bought the bike, the kickstand switch was jacked up, so I eliminated that 2 years ago.

After mine had sat for awhile in summer humidity and stormy weather, I had gotten water in the fuel. Had to take tank off, MT it and was fine after that. I had tried some fuel stabilizer and water remover to no avail. The ethanol I believe is especially susceptible to absorbing water from rain or right out of the humidity in the air.