Anyone with low mounted driving lights?

Thread: Anyone with low mounted driving lights?

Default Anyone with low mounted driving lights?

I am interested in installing some driving lights but I don't have engine guards due to the conflict with my Tornado intakes and I want them as low on the bike as possible without scraping the ground....

Has anyone done this and if so I would greatly appreciate some information, photos or whatever you can share.

Additionally, if anyone has ever seen or has any idea how one would mount them somewhere around the footpeg area I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you and safe riding!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

not sure what others have done, but i have a set that i am thinking of installing down where the front reflectors are.
    seems like a decent spot with the right mounts and lights.
    just want to make sure the install and wiring are clean so they don't get hung up on anything or look gaudy.
    you got your jesus on the dashboard, the devil's under my hood. you're takin' down to legal, i'm pulling it up to no good. god is your co-pilot, i let satan ride shotgun, you pay a toll to get to heaven, but on the road to hell there's none.....

Navy - Its not just a job, its an adventure

I mounted mine on the reflector hole. Its nice as they follow the wheel in a turn to provide light where im going.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190527_190702_HDR-01(1).jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	388506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	388508

BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Mean cycles offers a replacment radiator cover with a built in chin scoop that has the lights mounted down in the chin.

https://www.meancycles.com/store/parts/view.cfm?partID=224191

Name:	566359_1419029208626.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	388510

Very Active Member

The problem with these and others aftermarket chin scoops is the paint … it has to be painted to the bike`s color and that is the problem . To get a perfect match is difficult and of course , the paint job is an added expense on top the cost for the chin scoop .
    I have thought about putting a chin scoop on my 9 for some time , but the color match and the paint job in general had stopped me . Nothing is as worst as looking at a mismatched paint on a bike , in my opinion .
    Last edited by josey088; 6 Days Ago at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    I mounted mine on the reflector hole. Its nice as they follow the wheel in a turn to provide light where im going.

Name:	20190527_190702_HDR-01(1).jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	388506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	388508
    I really like the idea of this..... Did you wire them up to the headlight or ? Do you happen to have any part numbers of the stuff you used? I was thinking of the chrome Kuryakyn bullets myself as far as the lights themselves go... I am going with the Flatz too when MeanCycles get them back in stock so they look like they would line up and make it look pretty good as well as giving off some pretty good light on the road.

Something like this
    Made a bracket from stainless bent 90 deg, bit that fastens to the foot peg mount needs to be shaped like an upside down P.
    Powered through switch and micro relay with trigger power from sidelight and main from a fused feed from battery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200520_172428_com_1589991942279.android.gallery3d.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	388512  

Quote Originally Posted by The Prospector View Post
    Something like this
    Made a bracket from stainless bent 90 deg, bit that fastens to the foot peg mount needs to be shaped like an upside down P.
    Powered through switch and micro relay with trigger power from sidelight and main from a fused feed from battery.
    I went with the front reflector light location, seems to work well.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200430_163200.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	388514Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200430_162851.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	388516

Quote Originally Posted by wills1970 View Post
    I really like the idea of this..... Did you wire them up to the headlight or ? Do you happen to have any part numbers of the stuff you used? I was thinking of the chrome Kuryakyn bullets myself as far as the lights themselves go... I am going with the Flatz too when MeanCycles get them back in stock so they look like they would line up and make it look pretty good as well as giving off some pretty good light on the road.
    I got the lights themselves from the local autozone. I think the brand was ALPENA or something like that, I can double check when I get home. I have mine wired up to the high beams, so they only come on when the high beam is triggered. I went with more of a spot than flood for the light pattern and have them angled out slightly to help light up the ditches.

Very Active Member

I , instead , went on another direction : I installed a couple of SMD 3030 JDM ASTAR 1157 Switchbacks LED bulbs on the factory front turn signals . They project 1500 lumens each with a 6000k superb white light normally but they also contain a circuit that work as flashing amber lights when the turn signal are switched on .
    These two L.E.D bulbs add a whopping 3000 lumens to the main highlight , so the visibility is impressive , with no mods at all (well, you also need to replace the flash relay too, but I had that done before for the rear LEDs ) , so , just take the factory bulbs out and twist in the new ones .
    These are a little expensive , but the lighting projection is impressive , so it is worth it , in my humble opinion .
    Here is a pic of the bulbs lighted on :

here is the led bulb

Last edited by josey088; 5 Days Ago at 10:44 AM.

I got the lights themselves from the local autozone. I think the brand was ALPENA or something like that, I can double check when I get home. I have mine wired up to the high beams, so they only come on when the high beam is triggered. I went with more of a spot than flood for the light pattern and have them angled out slightly to help light up the ditches.
    Mine is not wired in yet, that is something that I would be interested in. Did you have to use a relay or just straight to the high beams.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBarros View Post
    Mine is not wired in yet, that is something that I would be interested in. Did you have to use a relay or just straight to the high beams.
    Im running a LED headlight that's a lower watt than the OEM standard bulb. The driving lights are also LED, so I just connected the hot wire on the driving lights to the hot wire for the high beam on the harness. Depending on what light and driving light combo you have, that may or may not be the best solution for your bike. You don't want to over draw on the circuit. Im building a HID retrofit projector for my bike now, when I done with that, I need to power the Devil/Angel eye. I will be running a separate fused line from my box to power them and a new independent switch for the driving lights, so im able to use them any time I feel a need.

Very Active Member

Im running a LED headlight that's a lower watt than the OEM standard bulb. The driving lights are also LED, so I just connected the hot wire on the driving lights to the hot wire for the high beam on the harness. Depending on what light and driving light combo you have, that may or may not be the best solution for your bike. You don't want to over draw on the circuit. Im building a HID retrofit projector for my bike now, when I done with that, I need to power the Devil/Angel eye. I will be running a separate fused line from my box to power them and a new independent switch for the driving lights, so im able to use them any time I feel a need.
    Just to make sure in case anyone would want to get these L.E.D. bulbs , they draw only 6.5 watts of power , so no need for power worries . My main hi/low headlight is also L.E.D. that draw very little power, too , compared to the factory bulb . No heat either on any of those bulbs , which is great .
    I have the switchbacks installed for more than a year , with no problems at all whatsoever .
    Cheers to everyone ...
    Last edited by josey088; 5 Days Ago at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by josey088 View Post
    Just to make sure in case anyone would want to get these L.E.D. bulbs , they draw only 6.5 watts of power , so no need for power worries . My main hi/low headlight is also L.E.D. that draw very little power, too , compared to the factory bulb . No heat either on any of those bulbs , which is great .
    I have the switchbacks installed for more than a year , with no problems at all whatsoever .
    Cheers to everyone ...
    I am liking this. I have looked thru other threads looking for pictures showing them off. I have an 06 so I would need to get clear lenses. Are they just stock?

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by UVATom View Post
    I am liking this. I have looked thru other threads looking for pictures showing them off. I have an 06 so I would need to get clear lenses. Are they just stock?
    All stock . My 9 is 2013 so I have clear lenses . Don`t forget that you need to replace the flash relay too .