Couple of brake pedal problems...

Thread: Couple of brake pedal problems...

Default Couple of brake pedal problems...

I try to do the majority of the work on my bike myself, but I will state upfront that I have been an electrician for 20+ years and not a mechanic by any means but I can visualize stuff and follow instructions.

I installed the Rivco brake pedal and got both springs hooked up. Unfortunately, the bottom bolt of the peg holder cross threaded so I took a 10x1.25 tap to try to "clean" the threads in the frame. Unfortunately, I believe the tap actually followed the cross thread and not the original thread so when I tightened the bolt, I could not torque it to spec as it feels stripped out. I got the top bolt torqued and blue loctite on both. Any suggestions for what I can do about the bottom bolt?

Secondly, when I press the brake pedal, it stays down and does not return? As it worked fine with the stock lever, does anyone have any suggestions? I can move it back to position with my hand and it doesn't really feel like it is binding or anything? Does anyone have a side photo of this lever installed so that I can see the geometry as I am thinking it should be straight ahead of the peg instead of slightly above it or am I incorrect? When adjusting the level of the lever, I have the split in the lever lined up with the hash mark on the mounting spline like the old one was as that is what the instructions said, is this critical and I should make all adjustments on the threaded nut and rod adjuster for the rear brake or can I rotate the lever itself and not worry about the split lining up with that hash mark?

Thank you in advance for any assistance and photo's.

Will.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Thumbs up First part answered...

I got the first part answered, Helicoil kit for the stripped hole...

I could still use some help on the other part though...

Quote Originally Posted by wills1970 View Post
    I try to do the majority of the work on my bike myself, but I will state upfront that I have been an electrician for 20+ years and not a mechanic by any means but I can visualize stuff and follow instructions.

I installed the Rivco brake pedal and got both springs hooked up. Unfortunately, the bottom bolt of the peg holder cross threaded so I took a 10x1.25 tap to try to "clean" the threads in the frame. Unfortunately, I believe the tap actually followed the cross thread and not the original thread so when I tightened the bolt, I could not torque it to spec as it feels stripped out. I got the top bolt torqued and blue loctite on both. Any suggestions for what I can do about the bottom bolt?

Secondly, when I press the brake pedal, it stays down and does not return? As it worked fine with the stock lever, does anyone have any suggestions? I can move it back to position with my hand and it doesn't really feel like it is binding or anything? Does anyone have a side photo of this lever installed so that I can see the geometry as I am thinking it should be straight ahead of the peg instead of slightly above it or am I incorrect? When adjusting the level of the lever, I have the split in the lever lined up with the hash mark on the mounting spline like the old one was as that is what the instructions said, is this critical and I should make all adjustments on the threaded nut and rod adjuster for the rear brake or can I rotate the lever itself and not worry about the split lining up with that hash mark?

Thank you in advance for any assistance and photo's.

Will.

I got the first part answered, Helicoil kit for the stripped hole...

I could still use some help on the other part though...

Sounds as if you are missing the return spring on your new brake pedal.

There has to be a spring to keep upward tension on the pedal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brake Spring.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	388488  

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

thank you, however as it was a bear to get on the Rivco lever, I know it is there.... If the lever is not rotated horizontally enough, would that cause not enough tension on the spring? I think I have the angle the same as the stock one I took off and it worked fine prior so I am completely perplexed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker View Post
    Sounds as if you are missing the return spring on your new brake pedal.

There has to be a spring to keep upward tension on the pedal.

Default All Good!

thank you, however as it was a bear to get on the Rivco lever, I know it is there.... If the lever is not rotated horizontally enough, would that cause not enough tension on the spring? I think I have the angle the same as the stock one I took off and it worked fine prior so I am completely perplexed.
    Ok. So apparently it wasn't moving forward either like I thought. LOL It was locked down solid. I ended up having to remove the lever and the footpeg bracket so that I could turn the splined shaft about a quarter of a turn and then put it all back together again for the 5th time... Everything is working as it should and I have a much nicer looking rear brake lever now!