customs/duties/taxes on EBAY items from UK

Thread: customs/duties/taxes on EBAY items from UK

Very Active Member

Default customs/duties/taxes on EBAY items from UK

Hi,

I am interested in a motorcycle accesory for my C109 from a UK seller on EBAY. $160 item, $50 shipping. Listing says I need to contact local customs to see if there will be customs/duties/taxes from buying and importing the item. I spent some time on the web in general and US Customs web page trying to figured out what the hell the extra cost might be if any. Figured someone might here might have bought a motorcycle accessory from UK that might be able to share what they paid for a ~$160 item. I would think there is a $ value below which there is no extra cost.

thanks,

Rich

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pankyb1261 View Post
    Hi,

I am interested in a motorcycle accesory for my C109 from a UK seller on EBAY. $160 item, $50 shipping. Listing says I need to contact local customs to see if there will be customs/duties/taxes from buying and importing the item. I spent some time on the web in general and US Customs web page trying to figured out what the hell the extra cost might be if any. Figured someone might here might have bought a motorcycle accessory from UK that might be able to share what they paid for a ~$160 item. I would think there is a $ value below which there is no extra cost.

thanks,

Rich
    I have ordered items on Ebay from all over the world and I have never had to pay anything extra to customs. I guess there is always that possibility. Good luck.

Hey Rich.
    My quick check says Duty=$73 but you should check - I had to guess on a few items.

All import products are grouped into Tariff Chapters. Motorcycle parts/Accessories are Chapter 87.
    (You can search it yourself, here)
    • Chapters are grouped into headings.
    • Motorcycles are heading 8711.
      • Parts for vehicles under 8711 are heading 14, so, so far you have drilled down to 8714 = "Parts and accessories of vehicles of headings 8711 to 8713: "
        • Headings have subheadings. Parts are subheading 10.00 So: 8714.10.00 = "Of motorcycles (including mopeds) "
          • Subheadings have suffixes - Parts for 8714.10 has 3 suffixes: -10 = Seats, -20 = Wheels, -50 = Other.

So your final applicable "HS Code" for import duty is: 8714.10.00.50.
    You will see that code at the bottom of the report if you query your import using this website: Duty Calculator Online
    The website should help you calculate import duties.
    I use something similar for Canada which is accurate but I have never done it for USA, so I can't vouch for its accuracy... just that it is the same sort of tool I use for Canada.

Governments are "hilarious" - you need to buy something they don't make, so YOU do all the work to go find it, SOMEONE ELSE makes it and ships it to you... and YOUR government (and mine) charges you a fee to charge you tax on the item, the shipping, THE FEE they charged you... so you can get something they had nothing to do with. UN ** ING BELIEVABLE to me. A favourite pet peeve. The best is they charge you a fee to charge you a fee, then tax you on that fee. bwaaahaha.. If I only I could make money with that business model.

Good luck with your import.

EXTRA NOTE: MrBarros is correct however - it will also depend on the current level of apathy for your border guys. Canada routinely nabs me for anything over $200, but only bothers me 30% of the time for imports of lesser amounts.
    Last edited by NoSetFine; 05-19-2020 at 10:57 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I've purchased a couple items from UK and a pair of riding boots from Italy (they sell them in Canada but couldn't get my size...10.5)...didn't pay duty on any of them.
    In both cases the item plus shipping was under $200 CAD...and not to mention the ridiculously fast turn around time with just regular shipping.
    2008 M109R2 Black - Flat black rims, Smoked turn signals, K&N Replacement filters, 2006 Exhaust Debaffled, & HealTech GiPro A-TRE G2.

Very Active Member

Default Thanks for the responses!

Thanks for the responses. I will pass on the item because at $210 (price plus shipping) I was on the edge of whether the item was worth the cost. If duties were imposed and the cost became $283 ($210 plus the $73 duty) I would definately say no.

The item I was interested in was rear crash guards/saddlebag protectors for a C109. Nice but not $283 nice.

Gotta love the Gub'ment in all its guises (city, state, federal).

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Sasnuke View Post
    I've purchased a couple items from UK and a pair of riding boots from Italy (they sell them in Canada but couldn't get my size...10.5)...didn't pay duty on any of them.
    In both cases the item plus shipping was under $200 CAD...and not to mention the ridiculously fast turn around time with just regular shipping.
    Canadian Tariff Code for "(Other) Footwear with outer soles of rubber, plastics, leather or composition leather and uppers of leather."
    = 6403.19.90 00 = Duty Free if from United Kingdom, previously of EU, under CEUT tariff treatment...

Riding footwear, other = 6403.19.20 00 = Duty Free from Italy under CEUT also.
    Last edited by NoSetFine; 05-20-2020 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks for the responses. I will pass on the item because at $210 (price plus shipping) I was on the edge of whether the item was worth the cost. If duties were imposed and the cost became $283 ($210 plus the $73 duty) I would definately say no.

The item I was interested in was rear crash guards/saddlebag protectors for a C109. Nice but not $283 nice.

Gotta love the Gub'ment in all its guises (city, state, federal).

Rich
    You could "try" and see if you get lucky, as technically you can refuse to accept delivery and the courier is then required to ship it back to the sender... but that can be dirty, and then it's between you and the sender to get you a refund for the original purchase. Fairly risky...

Hi,

thanks,

Rich
    IF your in the USA you will be fine... we do not have IMPORT FEEs like may other countries like the UK will hammer them with 22% import TAX - THATS what they have to pay! I ship all over the world and order stuff from UK and Canada I have never been changed any taxes like they have...

Now crossing border physically with good you have to declare with customs id different!

Happened to me. I bought a carport from Canada,I had it for 3yrs before the IRS caught up with me.I explained that I didn’t know I had to claim it. All I had to pay was the original taxes.The IRS lady also explained to me that technically even if I go to NH and I buy something I am supposed to claim it and pay taxes here in mass, “ya right”.I couldn’t get away with the carport cause of the size it went thru custom as freight.
    06 custom, dripping in chrome....lowered front and rear ....160/280....custom paint....:BOTM AUG 2014

Quote Originally Posted by k109 View Post
    Happened to me. I bought a carport from Canada,I had it for 3yrs before the IRS caught up with me.I explained that I didn’t know I had to claim it. All I had to pay was the original taxes.The IRS lady also explained to me that technically even if I go to NH and I buy something I am supposed to claim it and pay taxes here in mass, “ya right”.I couldn’t get away with the carport cause of the size it went thru custom as freight.
    Lol. this one always makes me laugh also - same in Canada. If I buy cheap beer in Quebec I'm technically supposed to pay Ontario provincial taxes once I drive it home... uhm... no.

There was actually a recent a Supreme Court decision in Canada (here) for which a guy who bought 14 cases of beer in one province got jammed by the Feds driving home to the neighbouring one. He challenged our original founding charters which state Canada was founded as a national group of friendly provinces - that failed! So, technically, you can be charged in Canada for moving alcohol from province to province. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by StitchsLoft View Post
    IF your in the USA you will be fine... we do not have IMPORT FEEs like may other countries like the UK will hammer them with 22% import TAX - THATS what they have to pay! I ship all over the world and order stuff from UK and Canada I have never been changed any taxes like they have...

Now crossing border physically with good you have to declare with customs id different!
    ...you have import duty, however? Whatever you want to call it, PLENTY of stuff is taxed/duty at the border - your current President routinely uses that as a source of income when he is upset with another country!