Any ideas?

Thread: Any ideas?

Default Any ideas?

Hi all,

New to the forum

So I recently purchased a 2011 M109R with 33,000kms on (I'm Australian) and whenever I buy a bike or car always do an extensive service on them so I know everything's good.

Cruising on the bike it feels like it's got a slight surge here and there through most the gears, no particular rpm, when I get into the higher rpms it tends to go away so I thought it might be plugs

After I pulled the plugs out I noticed they look really brown and rusty and the top front one look liked it hadn't been changed in forever. After changing them with iridium cr8eix plugs, I took it for a quick run, the surging was somewhat better, but now I have a slight flat spot when initially taking off till I get a bit higher into the rpms, the change to second, slight flat spot on accelerating.

The bike is stock standard, no mods.

My thought is the fuel filter? So I ripped it out quickly and it looks black, so I called around every dealer and here in Aus we aren't privileged enough to be able to get something like that same day, so I just tried cleaning it using some brake cleaner, it didn't stop running black, then I soaked it in petrol, it kept running black Everytime I lifted if out of the petrol, and washed the brake cleaner off thoroughly before putting back in the bike.

Do y'all think I'm on the right track or should I be looking at something else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Assuie View Post
    Hi all,

New to the forum

So I recently purchased a 2011 M109R with 33,000kms on (I'm Australian) and whenever I buy a bike or car always do an extensive service on them so I know everything's good.

Cruising on the bike it feels like it's got a slight surge here and there through most the gears, no particular rpm, when I get into the higher rpms it tends to go away so I thought it might be plugs

After I pulled the plugs out I noticed they look really brown and rusty and the top front one look liked it hadn't been changed in forever. After changing them with iridium cr8eix plugs, I took it for a quick run, the surging was somewhat better, but now I have a slight flat spot when initially taking off till I get a bit higher into the rpms, the change to second, slight flat spot on accelerating.

My thought is the fuel filter? So I ripped it out quickly and it looks black, so I called around every dealer and here in Aus we aren't privileged enough to be able to get something like that same day, so I just tried cleaning it using some brake cleaner, it didn't stop running black, then I soaked it in petrol, it kept running black Everytime I lifted if out of the petrol, and washed the brake cleaner off thoroughly before putting back in the bike.

Replacing the Fuel Filter is a good thing to do, considering the condition you described it to be in. However, I think that flat spot issue may be the result of those Iridium CR8EIX Spark Plugs you installed on your bike. A plethora of members here have had bad experiences with that particular Iridium Spark Plug. As a result, most removed the Iridium Plugs, replaced them with the Stock OEM Spark Plugs, and their bikes ran like a top immediately upon making the change.

Thanks Judah,

I guess I'll race down and get some standards ones, thought was a bit strange that it started happening straight after I changed them.

Attached picture is not my filter. But it looks identical.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1589776871623_1589806055148.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	388472  

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Did you change all 4 plugs? Even thought its a V-Twin motor, there are 2 plugs per cyclinder that need to be replaced.

BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Thanks Judah,

I guess I'll race down and get some standards ones, thought was a bit strange that it started happening straight after I changed them.

Aussie, you’re doing the right thing by ordering a new Fuel Filter, and getting a new full set of Stock OEM Spark Plugs. As well, I recommend you get yourself a good Fuel Treatment Additive to assist in cleaning the fuel you’re running in your bike. My recommendation is a product called Marvel Mystery Oil. It is regarded as “The Original Oil Enhancer & Fuel Treatment.” It also...

1. Improves Compression, Power, & MPG

2. Lubricates Upper Cylinder for Smoother Idling.

3. Keeps Engine Clean from Sludge.

Below is a link to show you what it looks like. I’m not sure if it’s sold in your country, but perhaps you all have something very similar, if not. It was recommended to me by a gang of members here, and I’m so glad I took their advice. The stuff is amazing. My bike motors operate and run about as good as one good ever expect.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TW_M...CABEgJYNfD_BwE

Please keep us posted on the outcome of having replaced your Fuel Filter and Spark Plugs.

Yeah I changed all 4

Thanks Judah,

Here is another option for the fuel filter. From what I have seen the OEM one is fairly expensive and have a tendancy of breaking when being installed. A long time member her named BigPapa109 (Harris) found these to have the same connector as the OEM ones and at about a buck a piece, its a great alternitive to the high priced OEM one. They are smaller and he said it caused slight issues with the amount of miles per tank compaired to stock. I dont ride mine down to empty often, so I figured thats not a big deal to me.

Either way, here is a link if you have difficulty locating a OEM one for a resonable price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-Strainer-fuel-pump-filter-For-Suzuki-motorcycle-GSXR1000-600-750-2001-2012/192497972279?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649

BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Very Active Member

I am not a big fan of putting oil on the fuel , no matter what everybody would say . I guess it is a bias of some kind, but anyway , I get wonderful results from using Sea Foam motor treatment . Just pour two ounces of it every other full fuel tanks and that will keep your fuel injection and hoses , filter etc , in top shape . That stuff is wonderful and most of all , cheap at about $7.00 a bottle of 16 oz .
    Last edited by josey088; 1 Week Ago at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by josey088 View Post
    I am not a big fan of putting oil on the fuel , no matter what everybody would say . I guess it is a bias of some kind, but anyway , I get wonderful results from using Sea Foam motor treatment . Just pour two ounces of it every other full fuel tanks and that will keep your fuel injection and hoses , filter etc , in top shape . That stuff is wonderful and most of all , cheap at about $7.00 a bottle of 16 oz .
    Josey, I totally understand your position on the issue of adding “oil” to your fuel. Before switching to the Marvel Mystery Oil product, I was an avid believer, user, and advocate of the Seam Foam product. I thought it was the absolute best product on the market, after having used it for such a very long time, and feeling like I was getting great results. That is, until I finally gave into the fact that I was grossly outnumbered during a debate over the two products here on the Forum by a storm of members who were emphatically-adamant about the characteristics and benefits of the Marvel Mystery Oil. I decided to give it a try, and I must admit, they were not lying. That product is phenomenal, and after adding 4 ounces to a full tank of 93% Octane Fuel on my 07’ model, and riding it for a continuous 35-40 minutes, the bike seemed to hit a level of smooth, calm but yet aggressive efficiency that I had never detected in that bike before. I went into that process hoping and expecting the Marvel Mystery Oil would not live up to its billing, but that’s not what happened at all. It was the total opposite of what I had anticipated, and as a result, I now keep a minimum of at least 2 of the 32 Fluid Ounce bottles on hand in my garage at all times. I have to admit, it did out perform the Sea Foam...tremendously. One thing that sticks out most to me, is just much snappier each of my bike’s responses are to every twist of the throttle. I even put some in my Dodge Charger SRT-8, and noticed a significant change in it as well.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Josey, I totally understand your position on the issue of adding “oil” to your fuel. Before switching to the Marvel Mystery Oil product, I was an avid believer, user, and advocate of the Seam Foam product. I thought it was the absolute best product on the market, after having used it for such a very long time, and feeling like I was getting great results. That is, until I finally gave into the fact that I was grossly outnumbered during a debate over the two products here on the Forum by a storm of members who were emphatically-adamant about the characteristics and benefits of the Marvel Mystery Oil. I decided to give it a try, and I must admit, they were not lying. That product is phenomenal, and after adding 4 ounces to a full tank of 93% Octane Fuel on my 07’ model, and riding it for a continuous 35-40 minutes, the bike seemed to hit a level of smooth, calm but yet aggressive efficiency that I had never detected in that bike before. I went into that process hoping and expecting the Marvel Mystery Oil would not live up to its billing, but that’s not what happened at all. It was the total opposite of what I had anticipated, and as a result, I now keep a minimum of at least 2 of the 32 Fluid Ounce bottles on hand in my garage at all times. I have to admit, it did out perform the Sea Foam...tremendously. One thing that sticks out most to me, is just much snappier each of my bike’s responses are to every twist of the throttle. I even put some in my Dodge Charger SRT-8, and noticed a significant change in it as well.
    Well, Judah , I guess that I would have to overcome this long held bias of mine , lol... But I would give it a try once I empty up the Sea Foam bottle that I have .

Quote Originally Posted by josey088 View Post
    Well, Judah , I guess that I would have to overcome this long held bias of mine , lol... But I would give it a try once I empty up the Sea Foam bottle that I have .
    I am another avid user of Sea Foam that will have to at least give Marvel Oil additive a shot.

Default Iridium spark plugs and fuel filter

Hi all,

New to the forum

Hi ,

I have used Iridium plugs in my M109r 2008 and had no problems.

There are Fuel filters for about AUD $18 delivered a pair on E Bay, they look just like the factory original , I have got some but before i saw them i cleaned my original one like you did and it has been fine since.

Symptoms were similar to what you describe prior to cleaning. I soaked it for a few days then washed and dried it it in the sun before reinstalling it.

Gez.
    1 De/sticker .<br />2Iso grips throttle boss x 2 red accent rings.<br />3Engine bars<br />4Drive shaft cover.<br />5# Plate (Gez 09) chrome<br />6Exhaust ( baffles ) modded. <br />7Chrome side mount rego holder.<br />8Tank bra <br />9Jsd-3m<br />10Polished M109R res cover<br />11Smoke Indicator Lenses.<br />12Stebel horn &nbsp;right cover).<br />13Suzuki backrest and rack.<br />14Widow pegs <br />15Polished M109R engine cover.<br />16Blueant Inter .<br />17Nokia 6110 nav phone.<br />18Home made rad grille suz +&#39;s&#39;.<br />19) Braided brake lines.<br />20KN filters/modded holleys.<br />21Elite 3 250 f/b<br />22KM tach <br />23Swing arm cover<br />24pc3 /rc mods<br />25c/f gel seats<br />26bc clutch

Aussie, you’re doing the right thing by ordering a new Fuel Filter, and getting a new full set of Stock OEM Spark Plugs. As well, I recommend you get yourself a good Fuel Treatment Additive to assist in cleaning the fuel you’re running in your bike. My recommendation is a product called Marvel Mystery Oil. It is regarded as “The Original Oil Enhancer & Fuel Treatment.” It also...

Below is a link to show you what it looks like. I’m not sure if it’s sold in your country, but perhaps you all have something very similar, if not. It was recommended to me by a gang of members here, and I’m so glad I took their advice. The stuff is amazing. My bike motors operate and run about as good as one good ever expect.

Please keep us posted on the outcome of having replaced your Fuel Filter and Spark Plugs.
    Not to hijack the thread because we don't need another marvel thread but mix it 1:4 acetone:marvel and you have the best ever super creeping penetrant for breaking apart anything. Even 2 million year old big block Chevy exhaust manifold bolts.
    "Beat it like a red-headed Ford":
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit

I run premix with a 13b turbo rotary I own so oil in fuel doesn't phase me.

I guess it's one of those situations that I'll take in everyone's advice and see what works for me. I'll try the new filter and see how that goes for now. Takes 5 days to get here tho don't really want to ride until I get the new filter in tho.

Thanks Judah,

Don't appear to be able to get that brand of fuel additive. Don't know how similar this is but I tend to use this

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...070201#start=2

Don't appear to be able to get that brand of fuel additive. Don't know how similar this is but I tend to use this

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...070201#start=2

Hi Assuie, this is what I use mate.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	httpss3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.combikebizimagesimages42efa1f557f6905fc0c34731092233b0dd92662d.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	388474

So I got my new filter, whacked her in,

Took it for a quick run, still seems to have the excessive surge there. Next will be whack some more fuel cleaner in it and change back the plugs to cr8ek instead of iridium

What chance do I have of it being somethung like the pump or injectors have a bit of **** in them or something, I opened up the old filter and it was clean as on the inside of the filter so I wouldn't imagine much would get up into the pump or injectors