HELP!!!!

Thread: HELP!!!!

Default HELP!!!!

So yesterday as I was cruising with a couple of buddies my 109 all of a sudden made a high pitched whining noise and shut off.....

I was only doing about 40kmph and pulled in the clutch and pulled over.

I checked the oil and it looked a bit low. So I added some and well. now it was FULL FULL. I started it, it ran for about 5 seconds, still squealing so I shut it off.

I drained some oil out, and now it wont even crank. Like the engine is seized.....or atleast Hydrolocked……

Tomorrow I'm planning on tearing into it, unless you brothers have some usefull insite for me....

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I have no idea how low the oil level can get on these and be still run. However, several years ago, I changed the oil on a friend's 2006 M109R. He hadn't changed it in several years, and I told him to "bring it over here and let me do it." When I drained the old oil, I got a little over one quart of mostly smelly runny black fluid that used to be oil. His bike still ran, but the shifting was horrible. Changed the filter and refilled it with four quarts of Suzuki 20W-50, and it was good to go.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    I have no idea how low the oil level can get on these and be still run. However, several years ago, I changed the oil on a friend's 2006 M109R. He hadn't changed it in several years, and I told him to "bring it over here and let me do it." When I drained the old oil, I got a little over one quart of mostly smelly runny black fluid that used to be oil. His bike still ran, but the shifting was horrible. Changed the filter and refilled it with four quarts of Suzuki 20W-50, and it was good to go.
    This didn't help me one bit, I appreciate that you helped your buddy out.

So the guy I purchased it from says it was just serviced for the season...…

I was wondering if there is a sensor or something in the crankcase that says it has too much oil and prevents starting....does it sound like a pin bearing let go, that's why she squealed before dying....I dunno. There was no sound of interference which I'm taking as a positive...

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Doesn't sound good. According to your other post you just purchased this bike so there is a method to checking the oil but the bike must run to do it. I would first try turning the motor over by hand and if it does turn over then drain the oil completely (look for metal), change the filter (cut into it - again looking for metal). Depending on what you find then the next steps would be to fill it back up with 3.8 quarts of oil. Here is a link to the service manual for the oil checking procedure and other things.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14_D...w?usp=drivesdk

Quote Originally Posted by RigRex View Post
    So yesterday as I was cruising with a couple of buddies my 109 all of a sudden made a high pitched whining noise and shut off.....

I was only doing about 40kmph and pulled in the clutch and pulled over.

I checked the oil and it looked a bit low. So I added some and well. now it was FULL FULL. I started it, it ran for about 5 seconds, still squealing so I shut it off.

I drained some oil out, and now it wont even crank. Like the engine is seized.....or atleast Hydrolocked……

Tomorrow I'm planning on tearing into it, unless you brothers have some usefull insite for me....
    I’m no expert at this sort of thing. However, based on your explanation of what happened yesterday, it certainly sounds like the engine was on the verge of seizing up. For your sake, I hope that’s NOT the case, and it may be something else that is less serious. The good thing is that the engine started back up, which would indicate it’s not quite yet seized. Taking it all apart is probably the best thing to do at this point, to see what the problem really may be. If it turns out that it was just low or out of oil, you can rectify that. I would change all of the fluids in the bike at that point, just so I would know the bike has been drained and refilled with fresh fluids and lubricants, before starting the engine again. Be sure to refill it with oil only up 3.8 quarts...not an ounce more.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 1 Week Ago at 03:23 PM.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by UVATom View Post
    Doesn't sound good. According to your other post you just purchased this bike so there is a method to checking the oil but the bike must run to do it. I would first try turning the motor over by hand and if it does turn over then drain the oil completely (look for metal), change the filter (cut into it - again looking for metal). Depending on what you find then the next steps would be to fill it back up with 3.8 quarts of oil. Here is a link to the service manual for the oil checking procedure and other things.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14_D...w?usp=drivesdk

I would start by doing FIRST , EXACTLY what he says to do .

From your description, it may not be good. Strong signs of an engine seize. Impossible to check the oil properly if it will not crank. You might drain the oil into something clear or visible container to look for metal flakes. Remember, since you are newer to the bike, there are 2 drain plugs on the bottom of the pan. Let us know what you find.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

How long is just serviced and who did it, the owner or a dealer?

This didn't help me one bit, I appreciate that you helped your buddy out.

So the guy I purchased it from says it was just serviced for the season...…

I was wondering if there is a sensor or something in the crankcase that says it has too much oil and prevents starting....does it sound like a pin bearing let go, that's why she squealed before dying....I dunno. There was no sound of interference which I'm taking as a positive...
    While I appreciate that it didn't help you one bit, I was only saying that the bike still ran with only a little over one quart of oil in it. And what really was "used to be oil". So it's unlikely your bike was low on oil. But, as others have said, sure sounds like a seized motor. Sorry to hear that.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Check your coolant too

Quote Originally Posted by Assuie View Post
    Check your coolant too
    Yep that needs to be check too. Could have gotten hot.

In my experience 9/10 times an engine will squeal and seize if it gets hot from no water, and sounds stupid but if it's just had a full service, they could've missed refilling coolant if they drained it

Very Active Member

If you ever buy an used car or motorcycle and even a lawn mower , the first thing to do is to replace all fluids , cooling , oil and oil filters , etc . No matter that you were assured that it was serviced … that is the safest and 100% method of things to do in order not to have an unwanted reality awakening .
    Last edited by josey088; 5 Days Ago at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Assuie View Post
    In my experience 9/10 times an engine will squeal and seize if it gets hot from no water, and sounds stupid but if it's just had a full service, they could've missed refilling coolant if they drained it
    This is what I'm thinking is the case.....I drained the oil and there were no metal flakes. Im heading to pick up another motor tomorrow morning and re-re them. Then I'll look to build something a little more bullet proof for me to beat on...

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll be taking the guy to small claims court for being a dickhead. I told him whats going on, even tried to get him to split the cost of the other motor. And he says he cant help me.... Like **** man, Im trying to be fair. I belive the guy tried to **** me intenionally now. The freshly serviced bike that has never seen regular gas or regular oil as he said it, had some very dirty ass oil in it. "Just serviced" my ass.

Oh well. Time to get wrenching

This is what I'm thinking is the case.....I drained the oil and there were no metal flakes. Im heading to pick up another motor tomorrow morning and re-re them. Then I'll look to build something a little more bullet proof for me to beat on...

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll be taking the guy to small claims court for being a dickhead. I told him whats going on, even tried to get him to split the cost of the other motor. And he says he cant help me.... Like **** man, Im trying to be fair. I belive the guy tried to **** me intenionally now. The freshly serviced bike that has never seen regular gas or regular oil as he said it, had some very dirty ass oil in it. "Just serviced" my ass.

Oh well. Time to get wrenching
    I’m sorry to hear that RigRex. I absolutely HATE people who do things like that. I hope the Small Claims Court Judge rules in your favor, and makes that turd reimburse you the full cost of the motor you’re now having to pay for.

After you started this thread, and I had already responded, and went back to review your initial post. I just couldn’t understand why a recently-serviced bike would have very little to no oil, and the bit of oil that was present was pitch black, and obviously very aged. Moreover, I hope everything goes well with the engine swap.

Please keep us posted Bro.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 5 Days Ago at 06:57 PM.

Seems like you're on track already to replacing the motor, but was there a determination that the old motor is toast?
    Hate to see you go through all that effort and it was something completely unrelated to the motor and then the replacement motor doesn't fire up either cause the issue is still unresolved.
    Did you check to see if any codes stored in the ECU?
    2008 M109R2 Black - Flat black rims, Smoked turn signals, K&N Replacement filters, 2006 Exhaust Debaffled, & HealTech GiPro A-TRE G2.

Very Active Member

Too much oil will cause oil to dump out the breather tube. That's not your problem. Squealing sounds like a bearing went out. I'd make sure juice is reaching the starter first so you can rule out electrical issues. Possible the bike was ran without oil before you bought it. You can definitely recover money the seller concealed major damage which sounds kind of likely here.