Help with OEM Guards and Tornado's Please.....

Thread: Help with OEM Guards and Tornado's Please.....

Default Help with OEM Guards and Tornado's Please.....

Several years ago I bought the Tornado's and the OEM engine guards. Before they arrived, I hopped on here to look for some tips on install. Unfortunately, I came across postings that said the 2 would not work with one another. When they arrived, I installed the intakes and the guards have been sitting in their box ever since.... I have googled and googled to see that there are actually quite a few images out there showing the 2 installed together without a problem, of course since they are just images I have no way of knowing whether they had to modify anything or not?

Anyway. I started by putting the left side on of course the intake was in the way. I removed the intake thinking maybe it would fit afterwords, but no such luck. I am attaching a photo which shows that I am actually sticking out past the bar by a good amount. Yes I could force it, however, then the filter would be crooked as heck and rubbing on the top of the guard.....

Any hints, ideas or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Also, just an FYI, I have the filter shoved up onto the housing as far as I can get it without deforming the filter....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine Guard.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	388388

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Hello Wills1970,

I received your PM before seeing this thread you started. In response to your comments, I’m very certain you have a set of the “new” OEM Engine Guards, instead of the “original spec’d” OEM Engine Guards. As a result of the new OEM versions having been modified, the upper portion of the Engine Guards now come back 1.25 to 1.5” closer to the intakes, causing there to be insufficient space to properly install your Tornado Intakes. As I see it, there are three options for this unfortunate situation.

1. Remove the Engine Guards, and go without any Engine Guards. This is the least expensive solution to your problem.

2. Replace those Engine Guards with a different style that WILL work with your Intakes. Sell the Engine Guards you currently have. Minimal loss, once you sell the current Engine Guards.

3. Replace your Intakes with a totally different style that will work with your current Engine Guards. Sell the Tornado Intakes you currently have. Slightly more loss than option #2.

I hope this helps you Bro.

Bobby

I appreciate your response. Yeah I was hoping since I have had them for a few years that they were the old number but unfortunately not the case. I LOVE the intakes and have had the bike for over 10 years without the need for the bars so "KNOCK ON WOOD" I will forgo them.... I wanted to add some cruising pegs and driving lights to them if they did fit but after just getting the one side on, I don't think I would have really liked the look.....

Guess I am off to the "FOR SALE" part of the site.... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Hello Wills1970,

I received your PM before seeing this thread you started. In response to your comments, I’m very certain you have a set of the “new” OEM Engine Guards, instead of the “original spec’d” OEM Engine Guards. As a result of the new OEM versions having been modified, the upper portion of the Engine Guards now come back 1.25 to 1.5” closer to the intakes, causing there to be insufficient space to properly install your Tornado Intakes. As I see it, there are three options for this unfortunate situation.

1. Remove the Engine Guards, and go without any Engine Guards. This is the least expensive solution to your problem.

2. Replace those Engine Guards with a different style that WILL work with your Intakes. Sell the Engine Guards you currently have. Minimal loss, once you sell the current Engine Guards.

3. Replace your Intakes with a totally different style that will work with your current Engine Guards. Sell the Tornado Intakes you currently have. Slightly more loss than option #2.

I hope this helps you Bro.

Bobby

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member WindyCityDave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wills1970 View Post
    I appreciate your response. Yeah I was hoping since I have had them for a few years that they were the old number but unfortunately not the case. I LOVE the intakes and have had the bike for over 10 years without the need for the bars so "KNOCK ON WOOD" I will forgo them.... I wanted to add some cruising pegs and driving lights to them if they did fit but after just getting the one side on, I don't think I would have really liked the look.....

Guess I am off to the "FOR SALE" part of the site.... LOL

Had a similar problem. Might want to pm Alien to see if he has a solution.

WCD

Did you end up finding out another way to handle this? I just bought a 9 and it has the tornados also. I was looking at highway bars too, but, luckily, saw this post before pulling the trigger.