New Clutch Cable Broke in 4 month/ Opinions please

Thread: New Clutch Cable Broke in 4 month/ Opinions please

Default New Clutch Cable Broke in 4 month/ Opinions please

Four month ago i had the barnnet clutch cable replaced ( lasted over ten years) , had replaced by similar product but to Barnet ( My mechanic told me they dont make it any more for the 9, it broke few days ago at the lever, the cable started to unravel. Mechanic says the 9 is a common issue....but... 4 month? inexpensive product or bad assemble?
    Opinions are appreciated
    Thanks
    [SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Hard to say from this side of the computer monitor.

But most cases of this are due to the cable adjustment being to tight.

If you have the proper slack in the cable, when you accelerate you will notice the cable tighten up and pull the lever to mount on the bars.

But f you have the cable adjusted to tight its still going to give that extra pull during acceleration due to the centrifugal forces on the clutch.

Without the proper slack it is going to break the cable or start pulling it from the ferrule on the end.
    Last edited by Stalker; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker View Post
    Hard to say from this side of the computer monitor.

But most cases of this are due to the cable adjustment being to tight.

If you have the proper slack in the cable, when you accelerate you will notice the cable tighten up and pull the lever to mount on the bars.

But f you have the cable adjusted to tight its still going to give that extra pull during acceleration due to the centrifugal forces on the clutch.

Without the proper slack it is going to start break the cable or start pulling it from the ferrule on the end.
    You may want to check your front lower motor mounts to be sure they are not worn out.
    Last edited by Fishman349; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:39 PM. Reason: Additional Info
    H.C. Velocity Pro, Cobra Power Pro Black, Cobra Engine Guards, ISO Blk Grips, National Cycle VStream Tour, Kuryakyn Switchblade Pegs, G/M TRE, .....

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Cable adjustment. Number one cause of premature failure. I've been through Barnett and Motion Pro. I'm back to a stock cable routed away from the front motor mount. The initial adjustment was 3-5mm or 2 quarters stacked together and used as a feeler gauge at the clutch lever and the perch. They then revised that adjustment to 5-8 mm or three quarters at the perch.

The problem is we think the adjustment is good when we're squeezing the lever at a stand still. The engine pulls some of the slack out during acceleration. If your adjustment is too tight, it'll pull on the cable like you're squeezing the lever. This causes stress to the cable and can slip the clutch discs, causing premature wear.

To verify proper adjustment, keep a finger on the clutch lever, pulling just enough to remove the slack without disengaging the clutch while you're riding. With your finger on the lever , accelerate. If the lever pinches tight against the perch, loosen the clutch cable adjustment.

-Josh

My original cable lasted from 06 to 14. Put a new stock cable on then and it's still good. As has been said, adjustment is everything. Most people run them too tight. Not a forgivable offense on the Nine.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman349 View Post
    You may want to check your front lower motor mounts to be sure they are not worn out.
    What is the relationship with the motor mount and the cable?
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    My original cable lasted from 06 to 14. Put a new stock cable on then and it's still good. As has been said, adjustment is everything. Most people run them too tight. Not a forgivable offense on the Nine.
    My mechanic said that on the 9 he gives it more slack at the lever than most bikes....
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member

3 years ago I installed 2" risers so I had to replace the cables with extra+3" Motion Pro cables for everything , front brakes , the two throttle ones (push and pull) and clutch . So far , they are all perfect and clutch is OK . so I guess you had it installed too tight .
    Last edited by josey088; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:50 AM.

Appreciate guys for your responses
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by juanramon View Post
    What is the relationship with the motor mount and the cable?
    The problem is the cable is routed behind the motor mount, causing tension on the cable upon acceleration. So when the new cable is installed, it needs to be mounted in front of the mount (towards the rear of the bike, not the front if you get my meaning) to alleviate the tension. Also, make sure the new one is adjusted properly

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Ah Yes cable cable cable. D'ESSE AUSTRALIA HYDRAULIC CLUTCH KIT Eliminate the cable Set and forget Now Available from L&H Cycles Maryland Send or Fit.

Fit genuine, I have a standard Suzuki cable with 2" over pull backs (run out side of the engine mounts) and no problems, tried a Slinky cable didn't last 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by davinci View Post
    Ah Yes cable cable cable. D'ESSE AUSTRALIA HYDRAULIC CLUTCH KIT Eliminate the cable Set and forget Now Available from L&H Cycles Maryland Send or Fit.
    Very expensive, most won't spend the money for it when the cable is just fine. I won't.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by juanramon View Post
    My mechanic said that on the 9 he gives it more slack at the lever than most bikes....
    Your mechanic is correct. Good for him. Test for free play while accelerating, not standing still. Adjust accordingly.

When I put the new cable on my bike in 2014, it took quite a few accelerations, then stops and adjusting, to get it dialed in where I like it. Oddly enough, since then, haven't had to adjust it once. That's a good thing, means I got it right and it's not stretching.

Oh. My original cable didn't "break" per se. The cable pulled out of the barrel on the bottom end. I still have that barrel, strangely enough. LOL!!
    Last edited by cbxer55; 1 Week Ago at 12:07 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING