Where to get Cables?!

Thread: Where to get Cables?!

Default Where to get Cables?!

Desperately trying to find a reliable source for replacement throttle and clutch cables for new bars.
    I have already ordered a brake set from Galfer.

Bandied with Venhill, Barnett, Meancycles, Magnum, Motion Pro, Baron, Fortnine, Revival... nobody seems to be able/willing to fab a set of +7" cables in black for our bike (and still waiting for some of those to answer). Then there's nylon, teflon, PE linings, vinyl, stainless, double wrapped, BYO (which is a nightmare of nearly identical parts, a "swaging" tool I don't have, etc etc). Geeze. Uss.

In today's Internet retail, I thought I'd be able to just type in my bike, click "+7 inches black" (gets some weird Google hits, mind you) and be done with it... not so much.

Forum searches here shows many with success with those brands in standard +2 and +3 sizes, but I am struggling with the custom +7" length I need.
    Suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

NSF, are you needing +7 Cables for Ape Hanger handle bars? I can’t imagine anyone needing +7 Cables for any other style handle bars.

This does not answer your question, but a hydraulic clutch set up would solve one issue.

It is easy enough to get a hydraulic line built in any size you like.

Also I have seen some of your post and know you are pretty handy in the electronics area, have you giving any thoughts to throttle by wire?

This is something I have been kicking around in my mind for quite a while but never seem to find the time to start doing the R&D on the bike.

In theory its not that difficult, 2 potentiometers, an amplifier circuit and a small servo motor with a bit of wiring is all that is needed.

Fabricating how these devices will mount is probably the hardest part.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    NSF, are you needing +7 Cables for Ape Hanger handle bars? I can’t imagine anyone needing +7 Cables for any other style handle bars.
    Hey Judah - I know, right? Seems weird, but I have measured it about 6 times now. The way the new bars run and how I want to route it, it consistently comes up as +7". The original cables are still sticking out of the front of the bike (no controls attached), so I can compare "exactly" old vs. new. I have test-run a wire to measure from the control nipple, all the way to the existing end connection and both (all 3...) cables (and the brake line) consistently show as an extra 7 inches. Whacky, I know when everyone else is +2 or +3 for basic risers - I think it is the slight turns I have included to accommodate the bars whereas a straight run without those turns is considerably shorter. I sure hope I got the brake line right - that wasn't cheap. I will find out once it arrives (no news yet on when due to slowdowns).
    Last edited by NoSetFine; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker View Post
    This does not answer your question, but a hydraulic clutch set up would solve one issue.

It is easy enough to get a hydraulic line built in any size you like.

Also I have seen some of your post and know you are pretty handy in the electronics area, have you giving any thoughts to throttle by wire?

This is something I have been kicking around in my mind for quite a while but never seem to find the time to start doing the R&D on the bike.

In theory its not that difficult, 2 potentiometers, an amplifier circuit and a small servo motor with a bit of wiring is all that is needed.

Fabricating how these devices will mount is probably the hardest part.
    Funny you'd say that, because I *did* actually consider that for a time, and I agree - one servo (or two for push/pull backup) to respond to the throttle position would do it - and some resistance on the throttle tube somehow. Might be a project in the future. If I can successfully sample the tach/RPM pulse as you helpfully contributed to suggesting to solve my "Ignition Sense" issue, I will likely try to replace/minimize my tach and signals first - but throttle by wire is definitely on my list of interesting projects.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    Funny you'd say that, because I *did* actually consider that for a time, and I agree - one servo (or two for push/pull backup) to respond to the throttle position would do it - and some resistance on the throttle tube somehow. Might be a project in the future. If I can successfully sample the tach/RPM pulse as you helpfully contributed to suggesting to solve my "Ignition Sense" issue, I will likely try to replace/minimize my tach and signals first - but throttle by wire is definitely on my list of interesting projects.
    Servo actuates in both directions, so only one would be needed.

Some sort of spring in the switch housing where the cables go in now would be need to bring the throttle back to idle position for sure. (Similar to a pull start on a lawn mower)

Would be a fun and interesting project.

If I had a second bike R&D on something like this would be much easier. As it is now with only one, I never want to take things apart for any length of time and not be able to ride it.
    Last edited by Stalker; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:54 PM.