Exhaust question for the 109r gurus

Thread: Exhaust question for the 109r gurus

Very Active Member

Post Exhaust question for the 109r gurus

I was examining my black Cobra 2 to 1 exhaust and I noticed that the paint is fading in a few spots .
    The exhaust , besides that, is in perfect condition , and, so, I want to re-paint it in black with either VHT exhaust flat (2000 degrees) or VHT Satin Ceramic calipers (900 degrees) . I would prefer the Satin paint to make it look like factory ,but it is only 900 degrees .
    Now , having said that , I have 2 questions :
    1) Should I use the Satin black paint or the flat black paint ? I think that 900 degrees is more than enough because only the exhaust covers are painted , but I don`t want to make a mistake , so I am asking .
    2) Where can I purchase the 2 exhaust gaskets for the headers ? I have no idea as if the gaskets are metal or ceramic or what and if is too difficult or not to loosen the header bolts . Please, detail how to do it . I would not want to get a leak after the install, so I need to make sure I am doing the job correctly .
    Thanks to all

Last edited by josey088; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Chances are, you won’t need to change the gaskets if you are careful. I had 2 different exhaust on mine over the years and have not changed them and have had no leaks. It is good to have the gaskets on hand tho, just in case. Warning... the old ones are a PITA to get out. Just order them from any of the online OEM part stores. Cheap cycle parts, partzilla, Oneida suzuki, etc.

I don’t do the black exhaust and have no idea what kind of temps it will see. I would pick up a temperature gun and see what kind of temps the exhaust sees and go from there on the paint. Temperature gun comes in handy for lots of things. Trust me, you will find lots of uses from mechanical, to HVAC, to BBQ grill temp, to just screwing around with it.

Very Active Member

Thanks , Poseidon .
    Gasket number 14181-10F00
    I`ll be ordering from Partzilla and I have decided to go with the VHT Satin caliper paint . It holds up to 900 degrees F.
    Thanks again … J

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

When I put the chrome Cobra 2-into-1 on mine, I didn't mess with the gaskets. Took the stock pipes off, put the Cobra on. Hasn't ever leaked in the ten years it's been on the bike.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

I just installed a set of Delkevic mufflers on my St-1300 and they came with RTV silicon to use wherever the pipes join and there are no gaskets.

If you determine you do need new header gaskets, MEANCYCLES sells them as well, for approximately $25.00 per pair. As well, my recommendation would be to find a good powder coating and ceramic coating company in your area, and have them apply High Temp Black Powder Coat to your exhaust. In my opinion, that exhaust paint is on the lower end of quality applications, and most of the ceramic coating available nowadays is applied so thin the exhaust scratches very easily. The High Temp Powder Coat is more durable than exhaust paint or ceramic coating.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:10 PM.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    If you determine you do need new header gaskets, MEANCYCLES sells them as well, for approximately $25.00 per pair. As well, my recommendation would be to find a good powder coating and ceramic coating company in your area, and have them apply High Temp Black Powder Coat to your exhaust. In my opinion, that exhaust paint is on the lower end of quality applications, and most of the ceramic coating available nowadays is applied so thin the exhaust scratches very easily. The High Temp Powder Coat is more durable than exhaust paint or ceramic coating.
    Hi, Judah : yeah , I thought of them first but they were charging me $12 for shipping the 2 gaskets and I am at 120 miles from them on the same state Florida ...
    So, I went to Partzilla and saved $11 total including shipping .
    About the coating... the original factory black coating of the Cobra exhaust is very thin (just paint , no powder coating at all ) and so far it has lasted for 7 years , so I will try the ceramic paint with 3 or 4 coats that would be much thicker than the original coating , anyway .
    If that doesn`t result in a good finish , there is also the powder coating option , Thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by josey088 View Post
    Hi, Judah : yeah , I thought of them first but they were charging me $12 for shipping the 2 gaskets and I am at 120 miles from them on the same state Florida ...
    So, I went to Partzilla and saved $11 total including shipping .
    About the coating... the original factory black coating of the Cobra exhaust is very thin (just paint , no powder coating at all ) and so far it has lasted for 7 years , so I will try the ceramic paint with 3 or 4 coats that would be much thicker than the original coating , anyway .
    If that doesn`t result in a good finish , there is also the powder coating option , Thanks .
    Sounds like a good plan Josey. I hope it works out just fine for you Bro. BTW, I don’t blame you for going a different route to get the gaskets cheaper.

Keep us us posted on the outcome.😎👍

If I was going to do them black, I'd definitely go the powder coat way. Much more durable and forgiving finish. But, I have done ceramic coat on exhaust before, it works pretty well. I had a 72 Suzuki GT-750J Lemans (Water Buffalo), and it had 3-into-3 chambers. Had them ceramic coated to look like polished aluminum.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger