Key Mod?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Key Mod?

Default Key Mod?

Anyone modify one of their keys for looks yet? I ordered 3 different sized spike lug nut covers from a trucking supply site (I want to see which one looks best) that I plan on fastening my spare key into. I'll trim the straight section shorter. Just a little detail into the overall clean look of the bike...
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_1682.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	388160

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

I've seen several key mods in person and maybe some of the guys/ladies will post up pictures.

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by JJKeller50 View Post
    Anyone modify one of their keys for looks yet? I ordered 3 different sized spike lug nut covers from a trucking supply site (I want to see which one looks best) that I plan on fastening my spare key into. I'll trim the straight section shorter. Just a little detail into the overall clean look of the bike...

Name:	IMG_1682.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	388160
    Thats one of the first and oldest mods ever introduced to the M109R community. I think it first surfaced on this Forum back during the 2006-2007 timeframe. Nevertheless, it is a slick look for the M109R. I did it on my 07 model 9 back around 2009, which I still have today. Folks who dont own a 9, look at my bike and have no idea where the ignition is located. 😁😎👍👍👍😎😁

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

My favorite so far is the small K&N filter key mod. I thought it was pretty cool. I’ve been wanting to do one but scared I’ll screw something up. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by TexasM109r View Post
    My favorite so far is the small K&N filter key mod. I thought it was pretty cool. Ive been wanting to do one but scared Ill screw something up. Lol
    No need to be afraid to try the key mod you like Bro. Just take one of your stock keys to either a Locksmith shop or WALMART, have a few duplicates made, and give it a try using those duplicates. I think youll find that its much easier than you think. 😎👍

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    My favorite so far is the small K&N filter key mod. I thought it was pretty cool. I’ve been wanting to do one but scared I’ll screw something up. Lol
    No need to be afraid to try the key mod you like Bro. Just take one of your stock keys to either a Locksmith shop or WALMART, have a few duplicates made, and give it a try using those duplicates. I think you’ll find that it’s much easier than you think. 😎👍

I will eventually try it. Need to find the part I want to use first. Lol. Thanks bud.

I agree one of the oldest mods on here and one of the best cause people have no idea where the key is.I would choose the one that is the same size as the ignition.here is mine,I hardly ever take the key out of my bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	472EFE1E-3667-4D7C-AA17-ACE0A13EBE67.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	388162
    06 custom, dripping in chrome....lowered front and rear ....160/280....custom paint....:BOTM AUG 2014

I epoxided a spare key into an old factory grip cap. It matches all the other covers in shape and size so it hides nicley. The only issue I had with it, was that the grip cover is just a tad to big to fit into the gas cap, due to the hindged lock cover. Be sure to check that fitment on yours before you go for a ride and need to fill up.

BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    I epoxided a spare key into an old factory grip cap. It matches all the other covers in shape and size so it hides nicley. The only issue I had with it, was that the grip cover is just a tad to big to fit into the gas cap, due to the hindged lock cover. Be sure to check that fitment on yours before you go for a ride and need to fill up.
    That's something I hadn't thought about checking! The other thing I'll have to make sure on is that I cut it short enough that I'm not going to jam myself in the leg while riding at all!

I had seen a couple of these with a rounded cap and wanted to try it. Managed to find these on sale individually and thought I'd go a step farther. Thanks all! I'll post up a pic once I'm done.

I have the same chrome cap that K109 has. Its a chrome cap that fits over the bolts that secure the toilet to the floor. It is the exact diameter of the ignition cylinder/housing, so it fits flush when the key is inserted. It also fits just right when you lift the flap on the gas cap to insert the key, and remove the gas cap. I bought mine at Lowes in the toilet section, for only a couple of dollars. I think they were sold as a pair.

That's something I hadn't thought about checking! The other thing I'll have to make sure on is that I cut it short enough that I'm not going to jam myself in the leg while riding at all!

I had seen a couple of these with a rounded cap and wanted to try it. Managed to find these on sale individually and thought I'd go a step farther. Thanks all! I'll post up a pic once I'm done.
    By the looks of the three you purchased, the shortest one would likely be your best bet to use to avoid being poked in your leg. Plus, you should have no problem with it fitting in the area to remove your gas cap.

I also made the oil dip stick out of one but had to take it off once I put the key cover on.I couldn’t get it out without scratching the hell out of the chrome cap.I think it hides the key even more causes they looked the same

Name:	3D65F9D3-2F0E-44A0-89CE-AFCD4E145507.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	388184
    06 custom, dripping in chrome....lowered front and rear ....160/280....custom paint....:BOTM AUG 2014

Quote Originally Posted by k109 View Post
    I also made the oil dip stick out of one but had to take it off once I put the key cover on.I couldnt get it out without scratching the hell out of the chrome cap
    I like that stealthy look K109, as that was a keen idea. I hate that it didnt quite work out the way you had planned.

Thanks,Coming from you thats one awesome compliment seeing you have one of the nicest 9s on here.No big deal I like the ignition more.I will keep working on it

My favorite key mod so far is the small K&N filter. I thought it was pretty cool. Ive been wanting to do one but scared Ill screw something up. Lol
    The small K&N filter is also one of my favorites. I was looking around for something that I might be able to use at auto Click image for larger version.

Name:	20200416_154921.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	388192zone and came up with this one. I was going to choose the black one then I decided why not be bold and do red the color of the bike. Shortly after mine was done I saw a picture of one posted by a member of this forum some time ago. Although I did not see his before I found mine all credit must go to him. Awesome mod!

Quote Originally Posted by MrBarros View Post
    The small K&N filter is also one of my favorites. I was looking around for something that I might be able to use at auto Click image for larger version.

ID:	388192zone and came up with this one. I was going to choose the black one then I decided why not be bold and do red the color of the bike. Shortly after mine was done I saw a picture of one posted by a member of this forum some time ago. Although I did not see his before I found mine all credit must go to him. Awesome mod!
    How does the key attach to the filter?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks,Coming from you thats one awesome compliment seeing you have one of the nicest 9s on here.No big deal I like the ignition more.I will keep working on it
    Maybe the solution to your Oil Dip Stick Cap would be to find a smaller but similar cap that would fit into that space, while allowing you to remove the whole unit without any issues. I really like that idea you had. Oh, by the way, thank you for the kind words regarding my 9. I must tell you Bro, your 9 has always been top shelf, in my opinion. It is certainly one of my ABSOLUTE favorites on this Forum!!!
    😁😎👍✋🏆🏆🏆✋👍😎😁

Thats pretty slick Bro. Do you have any problems fitting your key into the gas cap to remove it for refueling, due to the size of that Filter?

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Thats pretty slick Bro. Do you have any problems fitting your key into the gas cap to remove it for refueling, due to the size of that Filter?
    Thanks, unfortunately it will not work on the fuel cap because of the size, so I just have to carry a spare key from now on. In order for the key to work on the fuel cap the filter would have to be more narrow than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    How does the key attach to the filter?

The filter already has a hole in the back that the key fits into perfectly. Before gluing the key into the filter you have to cut about 1/2 inch of a hard plastic sleeve in order to have the filter sit closer into the ignition once the modded key is inserted.
    When you have a duplicate key made, make sure you tell them you want a long stem key because that will work better when you are trying to glue it into the base.

The filter already has a hole in the back that the key fits into perfectly. Before gluing the key into the filter you have to cut about 1/2 inch of a hard plastic sleeve in order to have the filter sit closer into the ignition once the modded key is inserted.
    When you have a duplicate key made, make sure you tell them you want a long stem key because that will work better when you are trying to glue it into the base.
    Thanks, Im gonna give it a try

I epoxied a key into a chrome curtain rod end. $22 done. As with other key mods, it doesn't do the tank. I carry a cut down key with no head (keeps it small) for fuel and seat. The key is set deep with epoxy filling about half the end. The end is a perfect fit to cover the ignition barrel.
    Have same setup on a another bike as well.

Name:	20180713_064317.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	388196

Name:	20180712_161744.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	388198

Name:	20180712_162001.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	388200
    Last edited by Sneikz; 04-28-2020 at 08:46 AM.
    Live long and ride hard \\ //

Did this mod years back. Used JB Weld to hold the key in a stock bar end cap. Cut a spare I had down to fit. Measured mine out so it would fit in the gas cap. Liked the mod so much I did it on other bikes I have.

Name:	IMG_3125.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	388202
    2009 M109 LE
    ISO grips, Swing Wing pegs, Shifter/Brake pedal MOD, Rivco 2" Risers, V-Stream Windshield, Cobra Sissy Bar/Rack, Tach Relocated, Mini Bullet Signals, Scythe 2 Mirrors, Debadged, DeBeaved,
    RaceTech fork Springs, Progressive 465, LA Choppers 2" bones, Cycle House Kickstand, Chrome Stock Wheels, Freedom Exhaust, Goldwing Intake MOD + K&N filters, Cobra Power Pro

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    I also used the end cap from the stock grips for my key mod. When I had the 07, the dealership screwed up the key and it would only turn the switch if placed in the correct position. If you turned it 180 degrees, it would not turn the switch. That was the perfect one to modify. That way I could leave it in the bike and just turn it 180 degrees when I shut the bike off. If someone tried to get on the bike and turn the "key", it would not turn and hopefully they would loose interest and walk away. But I was never very far from my bike anyway.

The 15/16" spike that I bought was the right size (the middle one) to line up with the ignition body. I cut most of the straight cylinder off with a hacksaw before trimming the spare key and fixing in place with JB weld. Now to where I messed up... I wasn't out by the bike when I did the weld. Key is centered and all, but I didn't get it far enough into the spike for my liking. There's about 1/8-3/16" of a gap between the edge of the cover and the ignition. I'll probably get another one (the spike was less than $2) and a different key to try to get a better fit. It DID open the gas tank the way it was, so maybe it's a trade off between that and the gap by the ignition...

I appreciate the other pictures and ideas!
    2009 M90 - Cobra Swept, Fi2000, K&N Filter, Lowered 2", Corbin drivers seat w/backrest, LED signals, fender eliminated, Suzuki hybrid bags, 1" handlebar risers

The 15/16" spike that I bought was the right size (the middle one) to line up with the ignition body. I cut most of the straight cylinder off with a hacksaw before trimming the spare key and fixing in place with JB weld. Now to where I messed up... I wasn't out by the bike when I did the weld. Key is centered and all, but I didn't get it far enough into the spike for my liking. There's about 1/8-3/16" of a gap between the edge of the cover and the ignition. I'll probably get another one (the spike was less than $2) and a different key to try to get a better fit. It DID open the gas tank the way it was, so maybe it's a trade off between that and the gap by the ignition...

I appreciate the other pictures and ideas!
    Mine has a 1/16 gap between the edge of the cap and the face of the ignition housing. When I did mine, I took some pre-measurements, mock-fitted both the cap and key to the ignition, then I meticulously ground down the part of the key to just where it fit snug inside the cap. Next, I re-fit the cap to the face of the ignition housing (with the key inserted inside the cap) to check how well/how close they matched up. Once I had it where I was totally satisfied, I added some 2-minute Epoxy to the inside of the cap, with the key in the exact place it needed to be. After allowing the Epoxy to begin to harden, I then insert the key with cap into the ignition to make sure everything was properly spaced and aligned. Lastly, once I quickly had it just where I wanted it. I removed the key and cap carefully, and sat the unit down and let it harden completely. Ive had my original key mod on my bike now for 11 years, and it still looks like I just did the mod a few minutes ago. 😁😎👍🏆👍😎😁

Ok thats kinda badass... Wow I never seen any of these! Now I want one! LOL

I agree one of the oldest mods on here and one of the best cause people have no idea where the key is.I would choose the one that is the same size as the ignition.here is mine,I hardly ever take the key out of my bike
    Do you ever worry about theft? OR just lock handlebars with another key?

Quote Originally Posted by StitchsLoft View Post
    Just got the bike recently and have not had the chance to ride it much but I plan on leaving it in the ignition when I am going to be nearby. I just had to have it, I've had many compliments. Most people seem to think it is a performance mod.

Quote Originally Posted by StitchsLoft View Post

No,but I do take the key out if I am at a big car/bike show and walk far away from bike but other then that I leave it in all the time.funny story,I left my first 9 at a local bike shop for some Maintenance.I came back a few hrs later and noticed the bike in the same spot.I went inside to see what was up.The owner says you didnt leave the key.I laugh and take him outside to show him.He thought that it was a cool idea but I would have to bring bike back the next day cause he started working on another bike