crash bars

Thread: crash bars

Default crash bars

Installed a set of engine crash guards that came with my bike ,no hardware. Installed using stock hardware without issue,took for test ride and bad vibration in front end that wasn't there previous. Could the wrong hardware cause this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CORMORANT View Post
    Installed a set of engine crash guards that came with my bike ,no hardware. Installed using stock hardware without issue,took for test ride and bad vibration in front end that wasn't there previous. Could the wrong hardware cause this?
    I would doubt it as the upper mount is mounted to the frame and the rear mounts to the frame with the foot peg mounts.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

The left side foot rest bracket bolts also secure the front left motor mount bracket to the frame.

Which is why the OEM service manual calls for the engine to be supported by a jack before removing the left side foot rest bracket bolts.

If you added OEM engine guards to your bike then you had to remove one of these bolts.

If you added Cobra engine guards to your bike then you removed both of these bolts.

It is very possible that your left front motor mount bracket is not secured properly if you did not uses longer bolts once you added the engine guards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left foot rest.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	387720  
    Last edited by Stalker; 04-07-2020 at 07:13 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I'll say this, IF, you mounted Suzuki brand bars without factory hardware, and used regular bolts, you need to check the left upper mount to make sure the tip of the bolt isn't making contact with the coolant hose that runs right behind that location. Yo'll for sure have a coolant leak once it wears through that rubber. Sorry, no help on the vibration

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

If you got no hardware , did you make the shims , or at least use a big bolt as a shim , where the shim goes ??
    called mounting spacer , #4 in instructionds , like a big washer but 3/8 to 1/2 thick .
    If I remember correctly , the 1/2 inch thick shim could go on different sides of the guard ,
    I ended up putting it on opposite side compared to installation instructions , it's been a while ....+/_ 12 years .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0226.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	387738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0227.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	387740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0228.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	387742  
    Every Time You Lift Your Tank Beware Of This .