160 Avon Tires will not seat properly please help

Thread: 160 Avon Tires will not seat properly please help

Default 160 Avon Tires will not seat properly please help

Has anyone experienced this problem in the past. Today I finally found a Suzuki dealer that would install my Avon 160 rear tire on the front rims in reverse direction. The only problem is the tire would not seat against the rim properly. The mechanic put 70 pounds of pressure and a 5 inch portion of the tire would not seat correctly against the rim. He did not want to add more pressure because he was afraid he was going to damage the tire. He suggested I bring the tire home and let it sit in the sun for a while causing it to heat up and pop against the rim. I left it in the sun all day but it remains the same. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Lube it up, and if that does not work lube it some more. Oh and use tire lube or dishwashing soap.
    I would hate to see you smack some grease in there.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Keep your fingers out of the way when lubing it up unless you let the air out of the tire first. Lube it up. Air it back up if you deflated it. Let it sit in the sun. Once it warms up, either bounce the tire on the ground or hit it with a rubbe mallet on the center of the tread above where the tire hasn’t seated.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I am worried that if I let the air out I will end up with a large gap in between the tire and rim and I will not be able to get air back in the tire.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBarros View Post
    I am worried that if I let the air out I will end up with a large gap in between the tire and rim and I will not be able to get air back in the tire.
    You don’t have to let it all out. Just enough that it won’t remove the tips of your fingers if it decides to seat while you are lubing it up.

Take it down to less than 10 PSI, wrap a ratchet strap around the center of the tire and ratchet it down tight, then air the tire back up.

Have done this many times with farm and off road equipment.

I am assuming you did not have the tire balanced yet since its not seated properly, be sure to have it balanced before putting the rim back on the bike.

If you were planning to use balancing beads then a dry lube should have been used to lubricate the bead of the tire and not soapy water or dish washing liquid.

Soapy detergents and balancing beads do not mix well and can cause the balancing beads to clump together and not function properly.

Thanks for the info gentlemen, I will try all the above tomorrow.

Very Active Member

I don`t understand it . I was present when the mechanic at the shop (not a dealer shop but a motorcycle shop) installed the tire , a 160-60 Avon 3D tire on the front wheel, balanced it and then put it back on the bike … no problem at all . He also then proceeded to do the rear tire , a Dunlop 250-40 also without any problems .
    If I remember correctly , the only problem was that the guy mounted the fenders extenders the wrong way . So, when I got home I found that out , so I had to take them out and install them back on correctly . That was it .
    BTW , awesome tire this Avon …!!!
    Last edited by josey088; 04-06-2020 at 11:57 PM.

Lube the area that isn't seating (use a brush), pound on the tire tread over the area where the tire isn't seating and add more pressure.

Default Final Results

After trying all the suggestions above, we still could not get the tire to seat properly. Must be a defective tire. There appears to be excess rubber along the area that slants against the rim to keep the air from escaping while trying to bead the tire. The side that seats with no problem did not have this excess rubber. I am going to send the tire back for a new one. Thanks for your help fellas!

After trying all the suggestions above, we still could not get the tire to seat properly. Must be a defective tire. There appears to be excess rubber along the area that slants against the rim to keep the air from escaping while trying to bead the tire. The side that seats with no problem did not have this excess rubber. I am going to send the tire back for a new one. Thanks for your help fellas!
    Post a pic

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Default Avon 160 Front Tire mounted

I finally got my new Avon 160 front tire mounted and seated on the rims. I inflated it to 70 pounds of pressure at home and they would not seat. So I decided that I was going to bring it to my local gas station and just inflate it until it either blows up or get seated. I inflated away and finally at 108 pounds I heard two familiar pops, boy what a relief that was. If you have this issue don't be afraid just inflate away!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200416_150630.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	387914

Very Active Member DutchM1800R2's Avatar

For the experts out there.. and out of curiosity.. can inflating a tire to this kind of pressure cause any damage to it?

I just remembered a Honda dealer having difficulty mounting a standard tire on the rear of my Gold Wing. They lubed, pounded, over pressurized, and bounced the wheel and tire against the concrete floor and it still wouldn't seat. Eventually they found that they were using the wrong diameter tire.

Being a dealer, that should have been the first thing they checked before going through all that.

I finally got my new Avon 160 front tire mounted and seated on the rims. I inflated it to 70 pounds of pressure at home and they would not seat. So I decided that I was going to bring it to my local gas station and just inflate it until it either blows up or get seated. I inflated away and finally at 108 pounds I heard two familiar pops, boy what a relief that was. If you have this issue don't be afraid just inflate away!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200416_150630.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	387914
    If they had used a proper amount of lube, there should not have been that issue. Glad to hear you finally got it seated

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

That looks badass

Looks cool, does that tire fit the stock rim with no mods? And did you notice any changes handling wise? Is it any better or worse?

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Habitat666 View Post
    Looks cool, does that tire fit the stock rim with no mods? And did you notice any changes handling wise? Is it any better or worse?
    Well,if we are referring to the front 160-60 tire , for one it is much more cushy , so the ride is improved big time . It also handles better and more steady on curved roads , even thou it sounds fictitious , but it is true : before , with the original 130 tire , I had to be pushing the handlebars and applying pressure to take a curve with the bike and with the 160 , the bike literally follow the road effortlessly without having to push the handlebar , just start turning and the bike will follow thru easily.
    No mods necessary , just need to add fender spacers (Meancycles) in order to have more space in between the fender and the tire , otherwise if a little stone or anything gets in between it will damage the fender .
    Last edited by josey088; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by josey088 View Post
    Well,if we are referring to the front 160-60 tire , for one it is much more cushy , so the ride is improved big time . It also handles better and more steady on curved roads , even thou it sounds fictitious , but it is true : before , with the original 130 tire , I had to be pushing the handlebars and applying pressure to take a curve with the bike and with the 160 , the bike literally follow the road effortlessly without having to push the handlebar , just start turning the bike will follow thru easily.
    No mods necessary , just need to add fender spacers (Meancycles) in order to have more space in between the fender and the tire , otherwise if a little stone or anything gets in between it will damage the fender .
    Josey, you explained that extremely-well Bro. My experience with, and evaluation of the 160/60 as a front tire is exactly the same as yours. I would just like to add, I have found through my experiences that the 160/60 is absolutely the best option to run in combination with a 300 rear tire setup. The 160/60 tire works perfectly in concert with the rear 300 tire, as they both lean and perform in harmony in turns and cornering. There’s absolutely no struggle with pushing the handle bars to get the bike through the turns. With a stock 130/70 front tire and a 280 or 300 rear setup, the front tire has the constant tendency to lean/dive into turns and corners very quickly, while the rear tire is barely leaning at all. This makes for a bit of a struggle balancing and maneuvering the bike through turns/corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitat666 View Post
    I was so in love with the appearance of the 160 in front that the very first mod I had done was install the tire as soon as I picked up the bike. All I can tell you is that the bike rides and handles the corners beautifully. Looking back, I should have ridden the bike for a while with the stock front tire just so I could see the difference between the two. The 160 tires was installed on the stock front rims. I did buy the fender extenders from Meancycles and intended to have them installed but as of yet I have not installed them. The picture that you see that compares the 160 and the stock front tire show the gap between the tire and the fender without using the fender extenders.

I was so in love with the appearance of the 160 in front that the very first mod I had done was install the tire as soon as I picked up the bike. All I can tell you is that the bike rides and handles the corners beautifully. Looking back, I should have ridden the bike for a while with the stock front tire just so I could see the difference between the two. The 160 tires was installed on the stock front rims. I did buy the fender extenders from Meancycles and intended to have them installed but as of yet I have not installed them. The picture that you see that compares the 160 and the stock front tire show the gap between the tire and the fender without using the fender extenders.
    Manny, after having reviewed your pic of the 160/60 tire and front fender installed, it looks like you already have plenty of clearance, and you’ll likely never need to add Fender Extenders. If you were to add them, I think the gap would be so profound that it wouldn’t look good at all.

Your bike looks GREAT Bro.😁😎👍🏆👍😎😁

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Manny, after having reviewed your pic of the 160/60 tire and front fender installed, it looks like you already have plenty of clearance, and you’ll likely never need to add Fender Extenders. If you were to add them, I think the gap would be so profound that it wouldn’t look good at all.

Your bike looks GREAT Bro.😁😎👍🏆👍😎😁
    Thanks Judah, that is exactly why I haven"t installed them yet, so far I have not had an issues with any over sized pebbles getting stuck in my tires. I will hold on to the fender extenders just in case I need them in the future. Now I understand what you and Josey are talking about when you say that the bike handles great around the windy roads with the 160 front. I wish I got a chance to try the stock front before I installed the 160 so that I could experience the difference. Stay Safe guys!

Very Active Member

Manny , I got curious when I read that you have no fender extenders on the bike , so I got my mm rule and went to measure my tire gap .
    Here is what I have :
    At front , at the center of the tire tread I measured 23 mms gap between my Avon 160-60 tire and the INSIDE of the front fender.
    Now , having said that , also at front but at the sides of the fender, , I measured 12 mms gap between the tire and the INSIDE of the fender . The 160 is a much more wider tire . The real gap problem is with the sides of the tire , not the center .
    These measurements are "WITH THE FENDER EXTENDERS" ALREADY INSTALLED .
    I am convinced that without the fender extenders, the gap would be extremely tight , susceptible for any small stone or debris that cut get inside that small gap and would destroy the fender or damage it heavily .
    So, in order to save hundreds or perhaps a thousand if I count the paint job and the pissed off with myself , I spent a few dollars and no more worries .
    As the pics will show , the gap with the fender extenders installed , is normal .
    But, it is your bike , my friend , so if you think it is ok like that , then it is ok .
    Pics :

Last edited by josey088; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:56 PM.

Manny , I got curious when I read that you have no fender extenders on the bike , so I got my mm rule and went to measure my tire gap .
    Here is what I have :
    At front , at the center of the tire tread I measured 23 mms gap between my Avon 160-60 tire and the INSIDE of the front fender.
    Now , having said that , also at front but at the sides of the fender, , I measured 12 mms gap between the tire and the INSIDE of the fender . The 160 is a much more wider tire . The real gap problem is with the sides of the tire , not the center .
    These measurements are "WITH THE FENDER EXTENDERS" ALREADY INSTALLED .
    I am convinced that without the fender extenders, the gap would be extremely tight , susceptible for any small stone or debris that cut get inside that small gap and would destroy the fender or damage it heavily .
    So, in order to save hundreds or perhaps a thousand if I count the paint job and the pissed off with myself , I spent a few dollars and no more worries .
    As the pics will show , the gap with the fender extenders installed , is normal .
    But, it is your bike , my friend , so if you think it is ok like that , then it is ok .
    Pics :

I totally get it Josey, I respect your opinion, safety is extremely important. I see what you mean about the center of the tire having more clearance than the sides. It's killing me to put it on because it is going to dramatically change the appearance of the front end. With the extenders installed, not only will it seem like it's too much of a gap between the top of the tire and the fender but it also changes the appearance on both sides in the area where the fender screws into the fork. I do have the extenders and I'm keeping a close eye on it.

I definitely feel you on that. I also want to go with a 160 on the front but I feel like I won't be able to achieve the look I want with the fender extenders, so I won't be installing them.
    Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.

Very Active Member

I totally get it Josey, I respect your opinion, safety is extremely important. I see what you mean about the center of the tire having more clearance than the sides. It's killing me to put it on because it is going to dramatically change the appearance of the front end. With the extenders installed, not only will it seem like it's too much of a gap between the top of the tire and the fender but it also changes the appearance on both sides in the area where the fender screws into the fork. I do have the extenders and I'm keeping a close eye on it.
    Manny, I tried some different air pressures on the Avon 160 when it was first installed , and I found out that , at least to me , 40 PSI was the best of them all . Less that that , the tire will flex too much on turns and you will experience wiggling from side to side .
    Higher than that , the tire is overinflated and will not wiggle but it is too hard and the hot air expansion from the friction with the road at speed can cause problems .
    So, to me that is the ok psi for performance and comfort .
    The rear Dunlop III 250 I keep it at 42 PSI.
    These are suggestions , of course . You may have arrived to different conclusions . I weight 185 lbs and I ride Solo , so those numbers are based on those facts . I also live in very hot Florida , where the pavement is really hot in summer .
    Cheers … J
    Last edited by josey088; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:05 PM.

Manny, I tried some different air pressures on the Avon 160 when it was first installed , and I found out that , at least to me , 40 PSI was the best of them all . Less that that , the tire will flex too much on turns and you will experience wiggling from side to side .
    Higher than that , the tire is overinflated and will not wiggle but it is too hard and the hot air expansion from the friction with the road at speed can cause problems .
    So, to me that is the ok psi for performance and comfort .
    The rear Dunlop III 250 I keep it at 42 PSI.
    These are suggestions , of course . You may have arrived to different conclusions . I weight 185 lbs and I ride Solo , so those numbers are based on those facts . I also live in very hot Florida , where the pavement is really hot in summer .
    Cheers … J
    That's exactly what I have mine at 40 PSI, I got it from somewhere on this forum, I think it was one of your posts. I happen to weigh 175 lbs but it works for me.