M109 Rider Forums banner

160 Avon Tires will not seat properly please help

3K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  MrBarros 
#1 ·
Has anyone experienced this problem in the past. Today I finally found a Suzuki dealer that would install my Avon 160 rear tire on the front rims in reverse direction. The only problem is the tire would not seat against the rim properly. The mechanic put 70 pounds of pressure and a 5 inch portion of the tire would not seat correctly against the rim. He did not want to add more pressure because he was afraid he was going to damage the tire. He suggested I bring the tire home and let it sit in the sun for a while causing it to heat up and pop against the rim. I left it in the sun all day but it remains the same. Any ideas would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Keep your fingers out of the way when lubing it up unless you let the air out of the tire first. Lube it up. Air it back up if you deflated it. Let it sit in the sun. Once it warms up, either bounce the tire on the ground or hit it with a rubbe mallet on the center of the tread above where the tire hasn’t seated.

#6 ·
Take it down to less than 10 PSI, wrap a ratchet strap around the center of the tire and ratchet it down tight, then air the tire back up.

Have done this many times with farm and off road equipment.

I am assuming you did not have the tire balanced yet since its not seated properly, be sure to have it balanced before putting the rim back on the bike.

If you were planning to use balancing beads then a dry lube should have been used to lubricate the bead of the tire and not soapy water or dish washing liquid.

Soapy detergents and balancing beads do not mix well and can cause the balancing beads to clump together and not function properly.

#8 · (Edited)
I don`t understand it . I was present when the mechanic at the shop (not a dealer shop but a motorcycle shop) installed the tire , a 160-60 Avon 3D tire on the front wheel, balanced it and then put it back on the bike … no problem at all . He also then proceeded to do the rear tire , a Dunlop 250-40 also without any problems .
If I remember correctly , the only problem was that the guy mounted the fenders extenders the wrong way . So, when I got home I found that out , so I had to take them out and install them back on correctly . That was it .
BTW , awesome tire this Avon …!!!

#10 ·
Final Results

After trying all the suggestions above, we still could not get the tire to seat properly. Must be a defective tire. There appears to be excess rubber along the area that slants against the rim to keep the air from escaping while trying to bead the tire. The side that seats with no problem did not have this excess rubber. I am going to send the tire back for a new one. Thanks for your help fellas!

#11 ·
After trying all the suggestions above, we still could not get the tire to seat properly. Must be a defective tire. There appears to be excess rubber along the area that slants against the rim to keep the air from escaping while trying to bead the tire. The side that seats with no problem did not have this excess rubber. I am going to send the tire back for a new one. Thanks for your help fellas!
Post a pic

#12 ·
Avon 160 Front Tire mounted

I finally got my new Avon 160 front tire mounted and seated on the rims. I inflated it to 70 pounds of pressure at home and they would not seat. So I decided that I was going to bring it to my local gas station and just inflate it until it either blows up or get seated. I inflated away and finally at 108 pounds I heard two familiar pops, boy what a relief that was. If you have this issue don't be afraid just inflate away! Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

#16 ·
I finally got my new Avon 160 front tire mounted and seated on the rims. I inflated it to 70 pounds of pressure at home and they would not seat. So I decided that I was going to bring it to my local gas station and just inflate it until it either blows up or get seated. I inflated away and finally at 108 pounds I heard two familiar pops, boy what a relief that was. If you have this issue don't be afraid just inflate away! View attachment 387914
If they had used a proper amount of lube, there should not have been that issue. Glad to hear you finally got it seated

#14 ·
I just remembered a Honda dealer having difficulty mounting a standard tire on the rear of my Gold Wing. They lubed, pounded, over pressurized, and bounced the wheel and tire against the concrete floor and it still wouldn't seat. Eventually they found that they were using the wrong diameter tire.:eek:

#19 · (Edited)
Well,if we are referring to the front 160-60 tire , for one it is much more cushy , so the ride is improved big time . It also handles better and more steady on curved roads , even thou it sounds fictitious , but it is true : before , with the original 130 tire , I had to be pushing the handlebars and applying pressure to take a curve with the bike and with the 160 , the bike literally follow the road effortlessly without having to push the handlebar , just start turning and the bike will follow thru easily.
No mods necessary , just need to add fender spacers (Meancycles) in order to have more space in between the fender and the tire , otherwise if a little stone or anything gets in between it will damage the fender .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.