JB WELD OR LOC-TITE (BLUE)?

Thread: JB WELD OR LOC-TITE (BLUE)?

Default JB WELD OR LOC-TITE (BLUE)?

I need some opinions on this guys. Which would be better to use on something like an aftermarket headlight mount...JB WELD or LOC-TITE (blue)? I was advised by a mechanic today to use JB WELD instead of the Blue LOC-TITE, because according to him, the JB WELD has better holding capabilities than the Blue LOC-TITE.

I would like to hear what some of you guys think, before I just jump and act on that mechanic’s advice. Once I get this thing tightened down and secured in place, I will have no need to ever take it off again.

Thanks,
    Bobby

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

So it depends on where an what you are repairing.there are many products for all . Plastic , metal etc.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    ]

If you are bolting something on, blue loc-tite should be sufficient. If you use JB Weld, you will likely never be able to get it off. You may think you will never need to remove it, but as soon as you JB weld it, you will find a reason why you need to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I use either blue Locktite or fingernail polish for things that I might want to remove. However, if you are really concerned about them loosening, use red Locktite.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    If you are bolting something on, blue loc-tite should be sufficient. If you use JB Weld, you will likely never be able to get it off. You may think you will never need to remove it, but as soon as you JB weld it, you will find a reason why you need to.
    Very well stated P. I always thought of JB WELD as being a product that would make it impossible to remove a bolt or screw after it was applied, whereas Blue LOC-TITE would hold the bolt securely in place, and prevent it from backing out, due to vibration...but you could loosen and/or remove the bolt if needed. The mechanic I referred to in my initial post told me today that JB WELD was just like Blue LOC-TITE, but actually better...and you could loosen the bolt later on if needed. I didn’t think that was true, but I wanted to hear from you guys to see if I my belief was correct or not.

Thanks P.

"JB Weld" and "Loctite" are both manufacture name brands.

They both put out many different products under these name brands.

Both of these name brands sell "Blue Thread-locker"

I am sure your mechanic just prefers one brand over another, but they are essentially the same thing.

https://www.jbweld.com/product/perma-lock-blue-threadlocker
    Last edited by Stalker; 04-06-2020 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    I use either blue Locktite or fingernail polish for things that I might want to remove. However, if you are really concerned about them loosening, use red Locktite.
    Blue has plenty of holding power as you need to heat red up to get it to get lose. As said there are different products for different things.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker View Post

They both put out may different products under these name brands.

I am sure your mechanic just prefers one brand over another, but they are essentially the same thing.

I knew they were companies that each make different products, but I had no idea JB Weld made blue lock tight. Learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker View Post

They both put out many different products under these name brands.

Good call. I had no idea that JB Weld mad a blue thread locker product. Thanks for the info!

I use blue loc-tite for almost everything. Never had anything fall off or come loose with blue. Red loc-tite is considered permanent. I've never used it. Even the supercharger on my Lightning, all bolts in or around it blue loc-tited.

There are some things you have to be careful with how you apply it. I use it on the idler pulleys on my Lightning. However, I evidently over applied it to one once, got some in an area I shouldn't have. It caused the pulley to bind up, and it came off while driving one day. The rotational direction is such, that it loosens them, rather than tightens them. So the loc-tite in a wrong area caused the bearing to stick to the pulley boss, and it unwound itself. Fortunately it got flung into a corner of the engine compartment, and I found it and got it back on. Figured out what I did wrong, and took pains not to let it happen again. Instead of putting loc-tite on the bolt and sliding it through the bearing, I now put the bolt in the bearing first and put the loc-tite on the threads that protrude out the back of the bearing. No more problems.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 04-07-2020 at 12:35 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    Blue has plenty of holding power as you need to heat red up to get it to get lose. As said there are different products for different things.
    I always thought it was blue for the Japanese Bikes and Red was for the Harley's!
    H.C. Velocity Pro, Cobra Power Pro Black, Cobra Engine Guards, ISO Blk Grips, National Cycle VStream Tour, Kuryakyn Switchblade Pegs, G/M TRE, .....

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman349 View Post
    I always thought it was blue for the Japanese Bikes and Red was for the Harley's!
    Makes sense to me!