what battery?

Thread: what battery?

Very Active Member

Default what battery?

I am needing to replace my battery in my 2006 M109, wondering which battery is the best on for these bikes nowdays. several years ago i remember it was the Gman battery..is that the one everyone still prefers nowdays? Ive also heard people like the mottobat also..?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I honestly believe you get what you pay for but some times something cheap can surprise you a lot. Before I took my '06 apart I had switched to an advanced auto brand (gold series) AGM, that was in 2012. I still use it for my run stand to start LS engines for run-in and testing. Can't complain about that a bit!
    "Beat it like a red-headed Ford":
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit

Very Active Member

I think I'm going to go with the mottobat for now as its a good bit less money with all that's going on right now, but will the 250 coca spin this big hog engine over fast enough when the engine is hot?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Thumbs up

I went with the YUASA
    YSA-YTX20CH-BS with 270 amp and , so far, after a year it works perfectly .
    The original Yuasa factory battery had been on the bike for 6 years , so after some research , I finally went for it . If it last another 6 years , I am happy about it and all for $89.00 with free shipping .
    One thing I like about it is that it comes dry , so you know it is brand new and will start life after it is filled up , so no wondering about how long the battery has been sitting on a shelf at some place else , maybe for months or even a year .

Last edited by josey088; 03-30-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mopower440 View Post
    I think I'm going to go with the mottobat for now as its a good bit less money with all that's going on right now, but will the 250 coca spin this big hog engine over fast enough when the engine is hot?
    I had gone through 5 MottoBatt batteries for my M109Rs over the last several years. After initially being a huge believer in the MotoBatt battery, I finally came to the belief/realization that the battery was not nearly as good/reliable as I had once thought. So, a year ago I did some research and found the Sigmas Tek brand 260 CCA, AGM battery I’ve provided in the link below. It has performed very well for me, after having it now in the bike for approximately 1 year.

No matter which battery you choose, without keeping it on a Battery Tender consistently (especially during the cold months), you’ll likely have to replace after a very short period of time.

Below is the battery I have found to be a very reliable replacement. Take a look at the link, and read the specs on this battery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223755762465

Very Active Member

I bought a motobatt last summer while I had my bike tore apart. Kept it on a trickle most of the time. It is now dead. Won’t charge past 10.1 and drops to 9.6 when trying to start. I bought it through amazon and I’m going through circles right now trying to get it warrantied. Honestly I’m not too stoked about even replacing it again with the same battery. I probably will if it gets replaced through warranty, but I’m searching for another option as well. I actually think mine was bad from the start in hind sight. The bike never started strong since the day I put it in. Maybe I just got a dud.

I think for he most part buying any battery for any vehicle is a crapshoot. I've had good luck with Walmart "Neverstart" batteries, and poor luck with a high dollar AGM from Batteries and Bulbs. I have heard more good reports about Yuasa batteries than other brands. I keep my motorcycle batteries on maintainers when the bikes are not ridden every few days. But some batteries just don't last long (more than two years).