Weird Clutch Issue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Clutch Issue

Default Weird Clutch Issue

So, I went on a short spirited run this afternoon. Plenty of hard acceleration through the gears, and some high speeds. All in all, about 7 miles. When I pulled into the garage, with the clutch pulled and in first gear, the bike was still trying to pull forward. Tried to get it into neutral, but it wouldn't come out of first. Shut it down and looked at the clutch lever, and it was way out of adjustment. I adjusted it, and all is good. Is my cable stretching or about to break? It's a 3+ motion pro cable with 2800 miles on it. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mxboost View Post
    So, I went on a short spirited run this afternoon. Plenty of hard acceleration through the gears, and some high speeds. All in all, about 7 miles. When I pulled into the garage, with the clutch pulled and in first gear, the bike was still trying to pull forward. Tried to get it into neutral, but it wouldn't come out of first. Shut it down and looked at the clutch lever, and it was way out of adjustment. I adjusted it, and all is good. Is my cable stretching or about to break? It's a 3+ motion pro cable with 2800 miles on it. Any thoughts?
    That +3 Motion Pro Clutch Cable should not be malfunctioning with only 2800 miles on it. My first thought is that your Tube Nut has possibly loosened, and needs to be tightened down with some Blue (Medium Strength) Loc-Tite.

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    That +3 Motion Pro Clutch Cable should not be malfunctioning with only 2800 miles on it. My first thought is that your Tube Nut has possibly loosened, and needs to be tightened down with some Blue (Medium Strength) Loc-Tite.
    So, the nut on the motor side. I pulled the cover off to check it, and it was a little loose, but not that much. I'll do the loc-tite. Funny thing is the exact same thing happened to my Ninja about 3 months ago. It has had a clutch cable break on me, so I went ahead and ordered a new one for it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

So, the nut on the motor side. I pulled the cover off to check it, and it was a little loose, but not that much. I'll do the loc-tite. Funny thing is the exact same thing happened to my Ninja about 3 months ago. It has had a clutch cable break on me, so I went ahead and ordered a new one for it.
    Hopefully, that will fix the issue, and you won’t have any problems with it from that point on...or until your Clutch Cable simply needs to be replaced from normal wear and tear.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

The Tube nut sits on the inside of the clutch basket behind the hub.
    You would have to pull all your clutch plates and your hub in order to get to it.
    The nut you were looking at is probably the hub nut and it should be locked in place by a retaining ring that would need to be pried open before you could spin that nut. (You do not need to loctite the hub nut)

But honestly I don't think the Tube Nut is your problem. The Tube Nut coming loose would not cause slack in the clutch cable, since it would only be effecting things after the arm.
    The Tube Nut coming loose will make the clutch seem like it is out of adjustment function wise, because the rods and push pin would no longer be able to move the pressure plate. But this should not cause slack in the clutch cable that you would notice in the clutch lever at the bar.
    If the Tube Nut were loose your clutch cable itself from the lever to the arm would not feel excessively slack since the arm is retained by spring tension.

From what you describe I would tend to think its a clutch cable issue.

You are likely on the right path by ordering a new cable and replacing it.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 4 Days Ago at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    The Tube nut sits on the inside of the clutch basket behind the hub.
    You would have to pull all your clutch plates and your hub in order to get to it.
    The nut you were looking at is probably the hub nut and it should be locked in place by a retaining ring that would need to be pried open before you could spin that nut.

But honestly I don't think the Tube Nut is your problem. The Tube Nut coming loose would not cause slack in the clutch cable, since it would only be effecting things after the arm.
    Which will put the clutch out of adjustment but should not cause slack in the clutch cable that you would notice in the clutch lever at the bar since the arm is retained by spring tension.

From what you describe I would tend to think its a clutch cable issue.

You are likely on the right path by ordering a new cable and replacing it.

BCS
    Thanks Judah and BCS. I was looking at threads on replacing the clutch with the '11 up parts just last night. Something I may do down the line. Think I'll order a new cable and swap it out. I'll cut the old one open just to see if anything was going on in the cable. I'll check the tube nut when I do the clutch replacement.

Thanks Judah and BCS. I was looking at threads on replacing the clutch with the '11 up parts just last night. Something I may do down the line. Think I'll order a new cable and swap it out. I'll cut the old one open just to see if anything was going on in the cable. I'll check the tube nut when I do the clutch replacement.
    Just to confirm....you could feel that there was excessive slack in the cable itself when you were having the problem.....right?

In other words the lever on the bars had a lot more play in it than normal?

BCS

Just to confirm....you could feel that there was excessive slack in the cable itself when you were having the problem.....right?

In other words the lever on the bars had a lot more play in it than normal?

BCS
    Yes. Like the cable had stretched.

Yes. Like the cable had stretched.
    Ok, a new cable should fix you up then.

Be careful riding on the one that is on the bike now......you are probably just a full pulls of the clutch lever away from it breaking.

Been there myself and can tell you its not a lot of fun if it breaks when you really need to be stopping quick.

Stay safe out there.

BCS

Ok, a new cable should fix you up then.

Be careful riding on the one that is on the bike now......you are probably just a full pulls of the clutch lever away from it breaking.

Been there myself and can tell you its not a lot of fun if it breaks when you really need to be stopping quick.

Stay safe out there.

BCS
    Yeah, I was two hours into a trip on my Ninja, in Branson MO, when I noticed my clutch cable hanging on by threads. Turned around, only using the clutch to start off, then shifting without it from then on. Fun fun.

BCS, do you think it's possible to stretch the cable if the motor mounts are bad? I was hammering her pretty hard.

BCS, do you think it's possible to stretch the cable if the motor mounts are bad? I was hammering her pretty hard.
    Freaky stuff happens now and then for sure.

I has a 3+ motion pro clutch cable do the exact same thing you describe.

And just a few months ago the exact same thing happened to me with a set of 3+ motion pro throttle cables. (Yes, throttle cables....believe it or not.....I posted about it on this forum)

I had the bike on the dyno and of course going from 2k to the WOT stop over and over again during the day.....all of a sudden my throttle was slack....very slack.

Adjusted both cables out all the way and it was still slack.

Ordered a new set of 3+ motion pro again from Meancycles, JC had them in stock and shipped to me in 2 days so I could get back at it.

Has worked fine since.

If your motor mounts are worn go ahead and get those replaced, no since putting it off.
    You can inspect the fronts pretty easy with a flashlight, just look at the left mount from the right side of the bike and the right mount from the left side of the bike, so you are looking at the inside of the mount.
    You will be able to see if they are out of sorts pretty easily.

I have to do my fronts when I get back also.
    Will be in quarantine for 2 weeks when I get home before I can get near my family, so perfect time to get it done.
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 3 Days Ago at 08:51 PM.

Thanks for stepping in and adding some true expertise to this matter. Again, I’ve learned something I was previously not aware of. Although I was aware that the Tube Nut is located on the Clutch Plates side of the bike, I had no idea that bad motor mounts could lead to the stretching of Clutch Cables and Push/Pull Cables.

Thanks again Bro,
    Bobby

Also check and see that your cable is routed outside the motor mounts. When they come from the factory, they are routed this way. There used to be a how-to on the routing procedure but not sure if they are still around.

Hello Shane. Not too long ago, someone posted on a different thread that it was better to route the Clutch Cable outside of the Front Motor Mounts, because as the mounts would wear down with the Clutch Cable routed on the inside it would put stress on the Clutch Cable and cause it to stretch and malfunction sooner rather than later. What are your thoughts about that?
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 3 Days Ago at 11:18 AM.

About 2.5 years ago , I installed the 2" Revo risers o the bike and I needed to replace the cables , which I did by ordering the Motion Pro +3" cables .
    Since then , every few months , 3 or four , whenever I remember , I take a thin syringe with a long hypoderm needle (which I once stole from my vet`s office, lol ) , fill it with Motion Pro cable lube oil and then I insert it carefully inside the cable end on the handlebar lever . I discharge the syringe slowly into the cable with the handlebars turned all the way to the right , so the left side if higher and the oil will flow in .
    Then , I take the syringe out , I deprease the clutch lever a few times and that is it ... the cable now is lubricated , not perfectly , but lubricated nonetheless .
    Result : I have never , ever , have had a single problem with the clutch cable ... no streching , breaking , stuck ... nothing , zero issues and the clutch works perfectly .
    I understand that not everybody does things the same way . I waste 10 minutes every few months doing it , but it works for me .
    The Motion Pro cable Lube is a super slick special oil made just for that .

Quote Originally Posted by josey088 View Post
    About 2.5 years ago , I installed the 2" Revo risers o the bike and I needed to replace the cables , which I did by ordering the Motion Pro +3" cables .
    Since then , every few months , 3 or four , whenever I remember , I take a thin syringe with a long hypoderm needle (which I once stole from my vet`s office, lol ) , fill it with Motion Pro cable lube oil and then I insert it carefully inside the cable end on the handlebar lever . I discharge the syringe slowly into the cable with the handlebars turned all the way to the right , so the left side if higher and the oil will flow in .
    Then , I take the syringe out , I deprease the clutch lever a few times and that is it ... the cable now is lubricated , not perfectly , but lubricated nonetheless .
    Result : I have never , ever , have had a single problem with the clutch cable ... no streching , breaking , stuck ... nothing , zero issues and the clutch works perfectly .
    I understand that not everybody does things the same way . I waste 10 minutes every few months doing it , but it works for me .
    The Motion Pro cable Lube is a super slick special oil made just for that .
    That sounds like a very good practice Josey. I like it a lot, and I’m going to give it a try on all three of my 9s. By the way, where can I purchase that Motion Pro Cable Lube Oil from, and how much do you use each time you lube the Clutch Cable?

Thanks for stepping in and adding some true expertise to this matter. Again, I’ve learned something I was previously not aware of. Although I was aware that the Tube Nut is located on the Clutch Plates side of the bike, I had no idea that bad motor mounts could lead to the stretching of Clutch Cables and Push/Pull Cables.

Thanks again Bro,
    Bobby
    Read that again.....I think what you may have gotten that by reading between the lines.

I never said the motor mounts stretched the clutch cable.

Just said freaky stuff happens sometime and that if your motor mounts are bad, you should change them, no since putting it off.

BCS

Motion Pro Cable Lube Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKfKkvz6VwU

Although I will admit, that I never lube my stainless steel cables.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 3 Days Ago at 01:31 PM.

Read that again.....I think what you may have gotten that by reading between the lines.

I never said the motor mounts stretched the clutch cable.

Just said freaky stuff happens sometime and that if your motor mounts are bad, you should change them, no since putting it off.

BCS
    No Bro. I fully understood exactly what you stated, and I totally agree with the comments you made. I wasn’t referring to you or your comments, when I said someone here on this Forum (I cant remember who it was) replied on a thread a while back stating “it was better to route the Clutch Cable on the outside of Motor Mounts to prevent the possible stretching of the Clutch Cable as the Motor Mounts lose their original form.”

order it online
    That sounds like a very good practice Josey. I like it a lot, and I’m going to give it a try on all three of my 9s. By the way, where can I purchase that Motion Pro Cable Lube Oil from, and how much do you use each time you lube the Clutch Cable?
    You can order the Motion Pro Cable Lube 6oz 15-0002 spray can online everywhere (ebay , J&P Cycles, etc) and I use about a centimeter or little less of oil inside the thin syringe .. really not too much . The good thing about it is that you ca do it without having to take out the cable .

There are two places to adjust the cable. On the handle bars and on the motor. Make minor adjustments at the bar and major ones at the motor. The jam nut backed off on mine at the motor one day while riding. Got it home and pulled out the replacement cable only to discover the cable wasn't broke and just that the adjustment screw had vibrated down. You can tell by both adjustment locations when your cable has stretched too much.

Quote Originally Posted by josey088 View Post
    order it online
    You can order the Motion Pro Cable Lube 6oz 15-0002 spray can online everywhere (ebay , J&P Cycles, etc) and I use about a centimeter or little less of oil inside the thin syringe .. really not too much . The good thing about it is that you ca do it without having to take out the cable .
    Thanks Josey. I’m going to order that lube tonight. I found some syringes with needles on Amazon. I just don’t know what size I should get that would allow the lube to get inside to the cable.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 3 Days Ago at 07:06 PM.

If your motor mounts are worn go ahead and get those replaced, no since putting it off.
    You can inspect the fronts pretty easy with a flashlight, just look at the left mound from the right side of the bike and the right mount from the left side of the bike, so you are looking at the inside of the mount.
    You will be able to see if they are out of sorts pretty easily.

I checked my front motor mounts. Could not really see the left one due to the starter being in the way, but the right one is definitely bad. I'll assume the left looks the same. Guess I have a project in the near future.

Also, my clutch cable is run between the front motor mount and the cross bar of the frame. Is that good?

The red arrow is pointing to the bolt for the left side motor motor mount.

Run the clutch cable on the outside of this bracket so you would be able to see it in this photo when you are done.

BS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Motor mount.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	387386  

The red arrow is pointing to the bolt for the left side motor motor mount.

Run the clutch cable on the outside of this bracket so you would be able to see it in this photo when you are done.

BS
    Thanks. I love pictures. That's what I thought. I definitely need to reroute mine. And, hard motor mounts ordered.

Hello Shane. Not too long ago, someone posted on a different thread that it was better to route the Clutch Cable outside of the Front Motor Mounts, because as the mounts would wear down with the Clutch Cable routed on the inside it would put stress on the Clutch Cable and cause it to stretch and malfunction sooner rather than later. What are your thoughts about that?
    Completely agree with routing them out side. Once you see how worn/flat the front motor mount can get you can see how the sag of the motor would pull/stretch the clutch cble

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks Josey. I’m going to order that lube tonight. I found some syringes with needles on Amazon. I just don’t know what size I should get that would allow the lube to get inside to the cable.
    You can also use a can of the cable lube with the red needle. When you pull in the clutch lever it gives enough room to get the red needle in and spray some down, but is a bit more messy than the syringe.

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    You can also use a can of the cable lube with the red needle. When you pull in the clutch lever it gives enough room to get the red needle in and spray some down, but is a bit more messy than the syringe.

I was thinking about that last night, as I was researching the Cable Lube on eBay. I thought it would mostly come with a thin red spraying tube/needle, which I thought might be a bit messy...which is likely the reason Josey elected to use a thin syringe and needle.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 2 Days Ago at 02:32 PM.

I was thinking about last night, as I was researching the Cable Lube on eBay. I thought it would mostly come with a thin red spraying tube/needle, which I thought might be a bit messy...which is likely the reason Josey elected to use a thin syringe and needle.
    Yep prob so. I have a new can of the lube with the red needle tube if you want to give it a go. I havent used it yet. I got it 2 years ago and its just been sitting on the shelf