M109 Rider Forums banner

No disrespect to the fanboys....

4K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  nicnac1789 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone broken the 12 sec mark or do I have to keep riding my Diavel for real speed and performance? Don't start with the "have you done this tune, mod, flash" BS. I am asking for a REAL answer or this cow is getting traded in for a lazy boy on 2 wheels AKA Harley. The Diavel will ALWAYS stay in the stable, if you ever ride one, You'll never consider another bike {unless the wife wants to take naps in in the backseat lol).

#2 · (Edited)
Lots of people have broken the 12 second mark on a M109R......and the 11 second mark......and some have even broken the 10 second mark on a M109R

Most of them using NOS or turbo.

It is possible to break the 12 second mark without using either of those though, and lots have done it.....but only by a couple of tenths of a second in most cases.

And you need to have good mods and a good tune or some of that "ECU Flash BS" (as you so gracefully put it) to get there. (Not to mention you not only have to know how to ride, but also need to know how to drag race to get there)

Once you hit the 12 second mark on a M109R shaving a few 10th's off of that time is more difficult than it sounds without using some sort of forced injection or juice.

The M109R is a "Cruiser", even though a lot of people tend to forget this.

If you are looking for faster than that......you should be looking at something other than a cruiser for sure.

Had a guy asking me today if I could make his 9 fast like his Busa.......its not magic folks.....if you want Busa fast......buy a Busa.

BCS

#12 ·
Lots of people have broken the 12 second mark on a M109R......and the 11 second mark......and some have even broken the 10 second mark on a M109R

Most of them using NOS or turbo.

It is possible to break the 12 second mark without using either of those though, and lots have done it.....but only buy a couple of tenths of a second in most cases.

And you need to have good mods and a good tune or some of that "ECU Flash BS" (as you so gracefully put it) to get there. (Not to mention you not only have to know how to ride, but also need to know how to drag race to get there)

Once you hit the 12 second mark on a M109R shaving a few 10th's off of that time is more difficult than it sounds without using some sort of forced injection or juice.

The M109R is a "Cruiser", even though a lot of people tend to forget this.

If you are looking for faster than that......you should be looking at something other than a cruiser for sure.

Had a guy asking me today if I could make his 9 fast like his Busa.......its not magic folks.....if you want Busa fast......buy a Busa.

BCS
< drops the mic >

Well said.

#3 ·
Clearly BOSS_man doesn't know the definition of a power CRUISER, and that's ok I guess (probably should've researched that before buying one). Everyone knows that the M109R is faster and meaner than the "La-Z-Boy". But it sounds to me like you've already put your makeup on, grabbed your purse, and made up your mind so.....

#5 · (Edited)
Another very huge factor to consider is the weight differential between the 9 and the Diavel. That is definitely going to make a huge difference going down the track, with the Diavel being very much like a naked street fighter bike weighing 481 lbs, compared to the M109R weighing 707 lbs. Personally, I think its mindless to buy an M109R with the expectation of making it a fast drag race bike. It’s a heavy muscle cruiser that’s very hard to shave weight from. Nevertheless, if someone would prefer a Harley (that’s certain to break down frequently) over an M109R, have at it. By the looks of things, Harley Davidson will be closing down soon anyway. Hopefully, Polaris may look at the whole Harley downfall as an opportunity to reintroduce their line of Victory motorcycles, which I found to be much better than the Harley line anyway.

At the end of the day, everyone has a right to do whatever they want with their own money. Personally, I wouldn’t want a Harley, even if it was given to me free of charge. I would immediately sell it to some fool, and purchase another M109R.

#28 ·
Another very huge factor to consider is the weight differential between the 9 and the Diavel. That is definitely going to make a huge difference going down the track, with the Diavel being very much like a naked street fighter bike weighing 481 lbs, compared to the M109R weighing 707 lbs. Personally, I think its mindless to buy an M109R with the expectation of making it a fast drag race bike. It's a heavy muscle cruiser that's very hard to shave weight from. Nevertheless, if someone would prefer a Harley (that's certain to break down frequently) over an M109R, have at it. By the looks of things, Harley Davidson will be closing down soon anyway. Hopefully, Polaris may look at the whole Harley downfall as an opportunity to reintroduce their line of Victory motorcycles, which I found to be much better than the Harley line anyway.

At the end of the day, everyone has a right to do whatever they want with their own money. Personally, I wouldn't want a Harley, even if it was given to me free of charge. I would immediately sell it to some fool, and purchase another M109R.
Tell it like it is Judah, I am not a fan either. Don't like the looks or the performance.

#7 · (Edited)
I get it, I have to say I was disappointed in the power of the 109 when I took my first test ride. At the time, I had a 2007 VMAX with intake mods, exhaust and perfectly jetted carbs, I was expecting the M109R to feel at least as fast as my VMAX, but it didn't even seem close. After a few years passed, I decided to give it another try and I purchased a used 2011 LE. I've always been in love with the look of the 109, but the stock performance didn't seem to match the look of the bike or my expectations. I then got the Thunder MFG Tornado intakes, exhaust and ecu flash, and it was like a completely different bike. So the things you call BS are the things that are necessary to start transforming the 109 in the direction you want. Keep in mind that an ecu flash is much more than a power commander, and is the key to getting more power out of your 109, you can find quite a bit of detail on here about that.

I'm lucky enough to have an FZ-10 too, I like having the choice of different riding experiences.

#8 ·
I have my 06 M109R, and I have my 08 B-King. Bet my B-King is faster than that Dwtf! Anyhow, having both and knowing the difference is what it's all about. One day, I just want to putt-putt around on my Nine, the next Kick Ass on my B-King. But that doesn't in anyway imply my M109R is slow. It's still a fast bike even when compared th the "Super Bikes" of the late 70's / early 80's. Look at my handle, CBXer. The mighty Honda CBX, double overhead cam 24 valve inline six cylinder. Back in the day, it was a porky pig weighing a bit over 550 pounds. Oh My God, it was heavy. Yet it only made a bit over 100 HP. Thought it was a rocket when I owned it. But the M109R is way faster than it ever was. And my B-King, my god that thing is ferocious. 185 hp at the rear wheel in Mode A. In Mode B it's more akin to my old CBX, with right around 110 hp and it weighs about the same.

Keep both, know the difference, and enjoy them for what they are.

#9 ·
I honestly don’t understand why some people buy an M109R, which is clearly advertised as a muscle cruiser bike, and expect it to perform as a sport bike or a lightweight, naked street bike. I had been riding sport bikes for over two decades, and owned an 07’ Kawasaki ZX-14R, when I purchased my first M109R (07’ model). My riding experience with the M109R was so fun, relaxing at times, and unique that I never touched my ZX-14R for the following eight months. At that point, I was fully content with selling my ZX-14R. A week or so later, I put it up for sale, and it sold within 48 hours. I haven’t missed the sport bike riding experience one day since acquiring my 07’ M109R in 2009. The M109R is the most fun and jaw-dropping bike I’ve ever owned...and I’ve had some very nice bikes over the years. In fact, I bought an 06’, an 08’, and a 14’ M109R later on down the road. I sold the 06’ model, and I currently own an 07’, 08’, and 14’ model. I’m in the process of acquiring all of the upgrades and mods I need/want to transform my 14’ LE model M109R into a Super-Beast...and it’s going to be a showstopper for sure!!!

#10 ·
I thought about a Diavel a couple years ago. A lot of bike for sure but then like NoSetFine mentions, I started reading about all the things that need to happen routinely to keep it running like that and decided it wasn't for me. The new Rocket 3 is my next bike but not until I can get one used for less than $13k.

#11 ·
I like the power of the new Triumph Rocket III, but I wouldn't buy one, due to the looks/style of the bike. It does look better now than in past years, but it's just too naked for my taste. I guess I'm extremely bias toward the M109R. Its like nothing else matches or even challenges the looks of the 9. I would love to have a 9 with the power of the Rocket III. That would be the best of ALL worlds for me.&#128526;&#127942;&#127942;&#127942;&#128513;

#16 ·
I had to read that twice to see if the OP was seriously asking if a 9 is capable of breaking into the 12's.... I ran 12.40@107 with my bone stock 18'

And as they say online, pics or it didn't happen, so here it is....

That night there was another M109 that ran 11.90's.... I'm hoping to see 11's with mine as well this year after doing exhaust, intake and tune, but whatever it runs I'll be happy with because as it's been mentioned already, it's still a cruiser

#19 · (Edited)
I ran 12.40@107 with my bone stock 18'And as they say online, pics or it didn't happen, so here it is....
These are my fastest 2 tickets on the 9.
So close but no cigar yet.
Its been about year since I was at the track it seems.......time to get back over there this time home.

I think Sledge on this forum said he made it into the high ll"s last time I talked with him.

BCS

Attachments

#21 ·
Thanks guys...

I was expecting to get ripped because of what I said, but you guys weren't to harsh on me lol. I do understand it's a "power cruiser" that's why I referred to 1/4 mile time and not top speed. The M109 will probably never be a 160MPH bike, but dammit I want to see at least mid 11's from this beast of an engine. BCS is the flash guru and (I may be mistaken) has not been under 12 yet. As far as the Diavel goes I haven't had anything done but regular maintenance. I own a BMW and a Maserati, my rule has always been, if you can't afford to fix it, you can't afford to buy it. I went to check out the Rocket 3GT yesterday, I like it but, in my opinion it looks better in pictures. It damn near ripped my arms out of their sockets, but that wasn't enough. I'm not paying $25k just to say I have the "most powerful bike" on the streets. Let me be clear I will NEVER own a Harley, I was just BS'ing. We can easily get a Victory or an Indian and not have to worry about buying a roadside assistance plan. I live in Florida and went to Orlando this week. On the way down I saw 4 H-D on the side of the road being worked on, and 3 on the way back. It's a no for me...lol. Anyway's I think you guys are right, keep them both, ride one to putt putt around town and the other for when I get the need for speed.

#22 · (Edited)
In order to see mid 11's on a heavy cruiser like the M109R you would need to have excellent reaction and shift times.......and you would need to figure out how to make the bike reach 115 -120 mph in the 1/4 mile.

If you look at the trap times you can see we are pushing hard to reach 110 mph in the 1/4 now.

I am certainly not saying its not doable, but I myself have not gotten there and with my busy schedule I will not get there anytime soon either probably.

If you want to go really fast in a straight line on a M109R.......add a NOS shot.

But like you said in your post above, "if you can't afford to fix it", then don't do it.........because when you start playing around with NOS, its eventually going to get very expensive.

BCS

#23 ·
The M109 is a muscle cruiser, but people must remember that it is not "THE MUSCLE CRUISER"! No matter what you have, and what you ride, there will always be something faster. I love the looks of the M109, and it will always have a special place in my heart. I will probably pick up another one someday.
For me, I wanted something that still fit into the cruiser category, but had a little more flexibility in the curves, and a little more power. This was after aquireing my F3T spyder. The spyder is a much more different vehicle than most will ever believe. With a flash, it is capable of keeping up with the M109 up to around 100 mph, and can handle the curves as good as any cruiser. The riding position is very much like the M109 (feet forward), and is confidence building, which allows the wife to ride with me (only bike she will ride with me on). After getting the spyder, I still wanted a bit more power, but still a cruiser. That is when I decided to pick up what is my ultimate cruiser, a second generation Vmax. It by no means looks as good as the M109. But with my highway pegs, it has the same riding position. With 197 hp stock (178 rwhp), it is able to keep up with pretty much any bike out there up to around 145 mph. After that, I tend to loose my nerves anyway. With a flash, I can bump that up to around 175 mph, and around 200 rwhp, but I do not need it. It doesn't look as good as the M109, and nothing does (in my opinion), but I am a rider. And both of my rides keep me smiling more than any other bike that I have ever owned over the past 16 bikes in my 13 years of riding. I say, ride what makes you happy, and be safe.
BTW, I have taken both of these rides to the M109 meet in Staunton and one in Maggie Valley. Ask anyone that was there if they think either of these machines is slow:doorag:
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting

#27 · (Edited)
I love my 2006 M109R. It's likely the best motorcycle I've ever owned, bar none. And I've owned a lot of them. My B-King? I like it, it looks cool as hell, just nowhere near the M109R as far as that goes. If I had to sell one today, the BK would be outta here. Had the chance back in 2010 to trade my Nine for a Max. Didn't do it. While I look the appearance, I just don't like it as much as the Nine. Face it, for every day use, the Nine has more than enough power to keep us grinning from ear-to-ear. Mine does.

#29 ·
No one mentioned the weight factor to get into the 11s? Get a 130 pound fearless rider to make your run and then you'll have your 11 second ticket to brag on.
I'm a 100 pounds beyond the possibility for that kind of time :^)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.