Anyone running the ME888 300

Thread: Anyone running the ME888 300

Very Active Member

Default Anyone running the ME888 300

I’m looking to get a real world measurement of actual width of the Metzeler ME888 300 mounted. Trying to compare it to my Avon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

BP, I have no real world measurements to confirm the actual width of the either the METZELER or AVON 300/35/VR18 tire. However, some time back a few members on this Forum actually confirmed that the METZELER tire was clearly wider than the AVON tire, because the METZELER, when mounted on a 10Ē wheel, rubbed against the inside of the 300 Swing Arm, and the AVON tire did not...using the same 10Ē wheel and Swing Arm that was used with the METZELER tire. Several members here have chosen to go with the AVON tire, because itís a bit more narrow than the METZELER, and fits better inside the 300 Swing Arm. As it pertains to the 300/35/VR18 size tire, Iíve only ran the METZELER ME880 tire. So, I have nothing to compare to it.

Very Active Member

I saw a post on FB where they were saying the ME888 280 isn’t as wide as the ME880 it replaced. I’m trying to figure out if that holds true with the 300 as well. And if so, is it a viable option on the 300 arm without rubbing, like the Avon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapa View Post
    I saw a post on FB where they were saying the ME888 280 isnít as wide as the ME880 it replaced. Iím trying to figure out if that holds true with the 300 as well. And if so, is it a viable option on the 300 arm without rubbing, like the Avon.
    I certainly canít confirm whether or not thatís true BP. However, Iíd be willing to bet if the 280 ME888 is more narrow than the 280 ME880, the same would be the case with the 300 ME888 compared to the ME880. By the way, what is the lowest price youíve seen on a METZELER 300/35/VR18 ME888 tire? Everything Iíve thus far seen has been super-expensive.

Very Active Member

I haven’t even got to the point of pricing them out yet. I was focused on fitment first. I’m not really in need, Just curious of what options would easily work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapa View Post
    I havenít even got to the point of pricing them out yet. I was focused on fitment first. Iím not really in need, Just curious of what options would easily work.
    Unless you come across some distributor out there whoís selling the ME888s for much less than the others, youíre going to find that they are quite a bit more expensive than the AVON Chrome tires.

Avon makes a better tire too, in my opinion.

- My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    - God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the vision to tell the difference.

I can testify the mezt is wider. About 3/16. Both on the same rim and Metz rubbed. Back to the Avon. Love it.
    Chrome frame,Chrome belly pan,Chrome DLP swingarm, 10" wheel w/300 Avon,Chrome one piece fork tubes,Chrome front and rear brake calipers,Chrome Galfer wave brake rotors,Chrome Sumo-x 9 deg trees, 26" front wheel, Front and Rear air ride, Corbin heated seats, HID projection headlamp conversion, Six channel Led system.

Very Active Member

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. I have about a credit card worth of room with the Avon, so sounds like the Metz is a no go. Appreciate it!