Ceramic Coating - Cerakote

Thread: Ceramic Coating - Cerakote

Very Active Member

Default Ceramic Coating - Cerakote

So I figured I'm start a thread. Since I will be using nitrous which generates considerable heat, I figured I would add a thermal barrier ceramic coating. This Cerakote piston coating seems to be what everyone is using. There are plenty of how to videos on YouTub which I suggest you watch if you want to do this. Basically, you have to media blast with 100-120 grit aluminum oxide, spray gun the stuff on, and bake at 300 degrees. I did it with the valves in place and they easily popped loose when done with none leaking into the seats. It seems to have turned out really nice and I feel much more comfortable replacing the ceramic coating that I believe I ground off of the heads on accident. PS this took less than 1oz of product which I believe was around $40 for a 4oz bottle. One more thing - for the love of God don't even open the bottle without a proper charcoal respirator. You will be sorry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cerakote.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	386776
    Last edited by Syler; 02-10-2020 at 11:03 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

That came out nice. Can't wait to see how it handles the bottle. Do you plan on doing a dyno tune for the bottle?
    "Beat it like a red-headed Ford":
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit