Turn signal recommendations

Thread: Turn signal recommendations

Default Turn signal recommendations

So I changed out the oem signals for some smaller led one. Originally the had a clear front , but turned opaque after a year. Any recommendations on some good one ?
    I read some people using switchback with the original lollipop signals...
    thanks in advance

Velocity pro short, flashed ecu, k&n filters, kuryakyn grips, de-beavered, led head light and turn signals, led knight rider strip.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    So I changed out the oem signals for some smaller led one. Originally the had a clear front , but turned opaque after a year. Any recommendations on some good one ?
    I read some people using switchback with the original lollipop signals...
    thanks in advance

I have the Flatz up front - https://www.meancycles.com/store/par...?PartID=222604

I have an integrated rear, but have been thinking about doing something different for better visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos109 View Post
    I have the Flatz up front - https://www.meancycles.com/store/par...?PartID=222604

I have an integrated rear, but have been thinking about doing something different for better visibility.
    I do like the integrated rear but feel the same about visibility.

Those signals are very nice , but I can’t bring myself to spend around 200 (canadian) for a pair.
    Last edited by Loki; 1 Week Ago at 10:34 AM.

Velocity pro short, flashed ecu, k&n filters, kuryakyn grips, de-beavered, led head light and turn signals, led knight rider strip.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

I do like the integrated rear but feel the same about visibility.

Those signals are very nice , but I canít bring myself to spend around 200 (canadian) for a pair.

I see you have the knight rider strip, if you like the sequential signal type, Oxford has some.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...d-turn-signals

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos109 View Post
    I see you have the knight rider strip, if you like the sequential signal type, Oxford has some.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...d-turn-signals
    live seen these.. not sure how they would look on the nine.

Very Active Member

live seen these.. not sure how they would look on the nine.

Yea, I went through the same thing. By the time you find some that look good from a reputable brand, they get pretty pricey.

These are pretty cool. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...t-turn-signals
    Last edited by Kratos109; 1 Week Ago at 11:53 AM.

My recommendation would be to go with the Flat-Z Front Turn Signals in combination with the Super Stealth Rear Turn Signal Array. Both are manufactured by Raw Design Cycles, and are made of extremely-high quality materials/components, and with extremely-bright LEDs that can be very-easily seen by other vehicle operators any time day or night. I’m stating this from my experience with both of those products. In addition, those helps to create a streamline and more clean look of our Big Beast M109R. I’ve had one of the Rear Stealth Turn Signal Arrays on my 07’ model M109R for over 11 years, and it still looks and works as well as it did when I bought and installed it over 11 years ago.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 1 Week Ago at 10:05 AM.

Saw these (Kuryakyn Kellermann) recently being demo'd at a MC show.
    INSANE brightness - strangely, the smaller ones actually seemed more intense than the larger dual "Bullet 1000" style, but still incredible.
    Buddy and I literally (no exaggeration) had to shield our eyes to look at the detail when lit.
    Would be on my shopping list but... like you, unfortunately it doesn't solve the "pricey" problem for me...

I put these KiWav's on some time ago and still really enjoy them.
    These particular mirrors are all metal and in my opinion of EXCELLENT build quality.
    Also, the KiWav service is extraordinary - from Taiwan to my house in Canada in 72 hours.
    They are sequential flashing, but require a small mod to allow the sequence to run fully because of how our bikes flash vs. Harley.
    I enjoyed the sequential look for a couple seasons but will be rewiring them to a full-on full-off style instead - too much flashy-flash on my bike.
    Full disclosure - the mirror surface is a leeeetle bit small, but I quickly got used to a bit of a "bob and weave" technique when shoulder-checking lanes.
    I decided the look was more important than actually being able to see out of them... lol (Hey just noticed they have a "convex lens" version now... hmmm)
    Lots of other flasher-in--mirror options there also if that's your thing.

Good luck with your search.

I just ordered these as auxiliary tail/brake lights for my VTX. The seem to be of high quality and the brake light or directional connection is very bright. The lights come with red, amber, and another color lenses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FLATZ signals up front all day long and twice on Sunday!!

https://www.meancycles.com/store/par...?PartID=222604

Chrome Glow signals/fender eliminator at the rear for the win!!

https://www.meancycles.com/store/par...?partID=230223

You LITERALLY wonít find a more streamlined, low profile setup anywhere else. Just my two cents...Good luck!

I agree with you 100% BUGSTUF. What you have is one of, if not the best look and quality turn signal combinations for the 9, in my honest opinion. Both front and rear are extremely bright and visible day or night. Iím also a huge advocate for the streamlined look. I canít stand the look of those big lollipop turn signals. They just look so out of place to me.

On my 14í model LE Iím going to do a one-off combination using the Flat-Z Front Turn Signals along with the Super Stealth Rear Turn Signal Array, and combine both with micro-bullet turn signals. This will give me a unique, two-way turn signal setup in the front and rear of the bike without using either of the turn signals as running lights. I donít want them to be seen unless/until they are flashing.

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    I agree with you 100% BUGSTUF. What you have is one of, if not the best look and quality turn signal combinations for the 9, in my honest opinion. Both front and rear are extremely bright and visible day or night. Iím also a huge advocate for the streamlined look. I canít stand the look of those big lollipop turn signals. They just look so out of place to me.
    I appreciate it Judah! The only other thing I MIGHT consider at some point is the bar end turn signal rings just for extra visibility, but Iím definitely happy with the current outcome. Iím interested to see what you end up with at the end of you modification, post some pics when you do!

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSTUF View Post
    The only other thing I MIGHT consider at some point is the bar end turn signal rings just for extra visibility
    Those bar end lights are much better in theory than they work out to be in reality.
    You have to drill your handlebars to fish the wiring and you have to drill out the counter weights in the ends of the bars also.
    Its a pretty big PITA for such little return on investment.

My 2008 had a set on it when I bought it. but I ended up taking them off within a week of owning the bike. (Replaced the handlebars as well)

Different strokes for different folks though, maybe you will care for them more than I did.

BCS

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Those bar end lights are much better in theory than they work out to be in reality.
    You have to drill your handlebars to fish the wiring and you have to drill out the counter weights in the ends of the bars also.
    Its a pretty big PITA for such little return on investment.
    And THAT right there was the one thing that has been holding back honestly...I appreciate the opinion BCS!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSTUF View Post
    I appreciate it Judah! The only other thing I MIGHT consider at some point is the bar end turn signal rings just for extra visibility, but Iím definitely happy with the current outcome. Iím interested to see what you end up with at the end of you modification, post some pics when you do!
    I certainly will Bro.

I have the FLATZ front signals and the guys I ride with say they difficult to see passed the light of the headlight... I also have the REVO headlight but I still wouldnít call them super visible during the day

So something Iíve been considering adding as well for more visibility are these RIVCO mirrors with built in signals

Found them on meancycles, available in black or chrome

https://www.meancycles.com/store/par...?partID=224086

Iíve never had a Revo Headlight installed on any of my 9s, so I canít speak to that experience with the Flat-Zs. But, when I had the Flat-Z style Front Turn Signals on my 06í model 9, they were extremely bright, and were never washed out by the light from the Headlight...even with the bright lights on during day or night. That doesnít mean that what youíve stated is not true. I CAN see how that could be possible.

I agree, Iíve always felt the FLATZ were bright as well until my buddyís said they werenít too easy to see passed the headlight.... I just have to take their word for it until another rider is behind me with the same setup lol

You donít have to wait until someone else is behind you with the same setup. You can simply start your bike up, turn your signals on, walk out in front of your bike, and view it for yourself.

You donít have to wait until someone else is behind you with the same setup. You can simply start your bike up, turn your signals on, walk out in front of your bike, and view it for yourself.

True, but looking at the bike with my eyes versus through a mirror gives a different perspective I guess

Crispy, I strongly doubt that’s the case Bro. I think most, if not all of us agree that front turn signals are to alert oncoming vehicle operators of our intent to turn. They’re not to alert vehicle operators traveling in the same direction who are ahead of us. So, I’m not sure why you’re concerned about how the Flat-Z front turn signals look in someone’s mirrors. I’m certain that if you stand at various distances in front of your bike (let’s say 20 to 30 yards or further) with your headlight and front signals on, and you can clearly see the turn signals (day or night) from where you’re standing, the chances are extremely-high that others on the road in front of you will see the signals just as clearly as you did.

By the way, I had the earlier version of the Flat-Zs, which some have stated in the past were brighter than the newer version. I’m not sure of that, but I will find out once I order and install my set of the newer version Flat-Zs on my 14’ model.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 6 Days Ago at 05:46 PM.

My recommendation would be to go with the Flat-Z Front Turn Signals in combination with the Super Stealth Rear Turn Signal Array. Both are manufactured by Raw Design Cycles, and are made of extremely-high quality materials/components, and with extremely-bright LEDs that can be very-easily seen by other vehicle operators any time day or night. Iím stating this from my experience with both of those products. In addition, those helps to create a streamline and more clean look of our Big Beast M109R. Iíve had one of the Rear Stealth Turn Signal Arrays on my 07í model M109R for over 11 years, and it still looks and works as well as it did when I bought and installed it over 11 years ago.
    Just wondering if the stealth tail signal will work with the knight rider light ?

Just wondering if the stealth tail signal will work with the knight rider light ?
    Yes, it will Loki. Thereís been a few guys on here who have already installed that same exact setup, and they reported it works great. Itís the same setup I plan to use, along with the addition of the Kuryakyn Kellerman turn signals to create my two-way signal affect. But, at the rear of the bike there will be a three-way, due to the Knight Rider component.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 5 Days Ago at 10:28 PM.

I would get the Kuryakyn Kellerman turn signals over the Flatz. Even their smallest model has really bright output. Flatz are nice but don't seem that bright on a sunny day.

Quote Originally Posted by jdirving View Post
    I would get the Kuryakyn Kellerman turn signals over the Flatz. Even their smallest model has really bright output. Flatz are nice but don't seem that bright on a sunny day.
    They are very small, but very bright indeed. Kuryakyn is very well known for producing high-quality, and extremely-bright LED Turn Signals. Iím going to use a set of them in combination with my Super Stealth Rear Turn Signal Array, and a set in combination with my Flat-Z Front Turn Signals.