M109 Rider Forums banner

Black or chrome exhaust on BOSS

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  phatm9 
#1 ·
Should I put chrome or black exhaust on a M109R BOSS?
I'm about to install a set of Cobra swept exhaust on my '17. I knew there's a black option and figured I would go that route due to the bike being blacked out, and figured it would be cheaper too. NOPE! Why do they cost so much? Are they taking a chrome set and stripping the chrome off and powder coating them? I can only find the black set at mean cycles.
If I save the money and go with chrome I'm afraid its going to look out of place.
What would you do/have you done?

#3 ·
It's really going to be a matter of personal preference.

I am old school and love my chrome.....gotta have it.

I have not seen a set of chrome cobra swept on a boss model but I have seen a few chrome VPR exhaust on boss models.

Not sure if you have the mat gray or blue/black color scheme, but I have seen the chrome VPR on a '17 blue/black and it looked great.
Could not find a photo of that bike but I did find this '15 model on the internet to show as an example.

If you added chrome intakes and splash of chrome here and there around the bike I think the chrome exhaust combo on the boss would look pretty darn good myself.
You would certainly not look like every other boss on the road and would set your bike apart of the pack.

Chrome Freedom Performance Sharp Curved Radius would probably look great also on the boss with some additional chrome accents. (since FPSCR is also a short exhaust)
Would have to bolt the long Cobra Swept on the bike and have a look to really know if the longer pipe would seem out of place or not.
(Or photo shop a set on just get an idea if you don't have access to an actual set of pipes)

Again, its really a personal preference.....beauty is in the eye of the beholder...... the murdered out (all black) look personally does not excite me as much a bike with some chrome on it.

BCS

Attachments

#5 ·
I went with black on my boss, but I will say that when done right the black n chrome combo does look really good.

I do feel like the black shows scratches n rock chips more n can't just be polished out like chrome.

Really all about your personal preference and the direction you see your styling going in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I love a bike that’s loaded with chrome. I’ve never been a big fan of the all blacked out look. But, I do like the black contrast cut look. In fact, I think it’s HOT, and will be for years from now. So, as a result, on my 14’ model LE I’m going with a totally custom Black & Ghost LE paint job, along with the black contrast cut look throughout the entire bike, to include wheels, fork tubes, radiator grille and chin spoiler, handlebars and control housings, risers, hand grips, foot pegs, fuel cap, exhaust, taillight, and bolts and screws throughout the custom painted parts on the bike.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the advice.
I agree that some contrast between the black and chrome would be good but I don't see myself changing anything else on the bike to possibly have an opportunity to add more chrome. Having only one thing on a boss being chrome will most likely look out of place, so I'll just bite the bullet and pay the extra for the black.
Thanks again

#11 ·
Pockets, have you at least considered going with a black Shorty 2 into 1 exhaust for your 9? The 2 into 1 exhausts produce more power than 2 into 2 exhausts, and the Shorty versions have an even deeper exhaust note. Additionally, the Shorty exhausts make it much easier to perform rear tire changes, because you don't have to remove the exhaust before removing the rear wheel.

#13 · (Edited)
Exhaust does not need to come off in order to remove the rear wheel when running a long pipe.
The axle slides out from the final drive side. :bigthumbsup:

Might be the case if you have a 2 piece swing arm with a 300 tire....but I have not crossed that bridge so not sure on that one.

But 100% its not a problem with stock size rim and up to 260 tire....have done lots of them.

BCS

#15 ·
Exhaust does not need to come off in order to remove the rear wheel when running a long pipe.
The axle slides out from the final drive side. :bigthumbsup:

Might be the case if you have a 2 piece swing arm with a 300 tire....but I have not crossed that bridge so not sure on that one.

But 100% its not a problem with stock size rim and up to 260 tire....have done lots of them.

BCS
:agree:
I was going to add that but didn't want to start a debate

#14 ·
Pockets...good to see you went with black.

Not trying to hijack the thread but since we are talking about exhaust....
Has anyone tried gutting the OE exhaust and tune for performance? Studying it, there's a lot of meat on the bones to work with and the bends that merge to the exhaust valve and cat are actually done well and nicely sized. Oh and did I mention that I'm cheap which only AIDS my desires to make things better without using my wallet.

#18 ·
Very well stated BCS, and I stand corrected on my response about the exhaust needing to be removed. Back some years ago, there were lots of guys on this Forum talking about how they had to remove the stock exhaust in order to get the rear wheel off, because otherwise they would have to remove the final drive, which was/is a pain to put back in place most of the time. Maybe that was pertaining to the 10” wheel w/280 tire mounted on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.