Builder be ware!

Thread: Builder be ware!

Default Builder be ware!

So I spoke on the phone to a guy some of you may know (Matt) and asked him,'what should I check while I'm in the engine that may not be obviously?'
    He told me that sometimes the oil pumps get scarred. Well I took it off and yes the outer gear did have some light scarring as you can see in the pics. I'm not one to chance it and it would probably be fine for a long time but I bought outer oil cogs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	386668   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	60 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	386670  
    "Beat it like a red-headed Ford":
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Today it was supposed to be oil pump and water pump install. The tech manual doesn't show pics of the whole oil pump broken down but it does tell you to remove inner and outer oil pump gears. So I spun the pump shaft and it seemed a little rough. Took it apart and my wallet sank just a little more in my pocket. I will be ordering one tonight. All these little findings are eating into my 2into1 and ECM flash fund!!! Not happy.....

*Do not over look the inner oil gears if you have had any reason to get into the engine!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	51 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	386672   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	49 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	386674  
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit

Well after tonight. I think I'm done! I just priced out the rest of the parts, not including the oil pump which I already purchased I'm at $1300 for all the new clutch upgrades and new rotors. I till need fork seals, tires, brake pads and I honestly don't see the point in making my total build in the $3600 on a bike that will likely have more problems! Maybe I'm just going to buy a newer one that already has all the updated parts! But I'm surely done.

I don't know what I'm going to do with it but building is no longer an option.😔
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Where are you at in GA

Beware in one word.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Beware in one word.
    I'm in Ga...spelling or any type of grammar isn't really a thing of concern here. But thanks.

WEedahoe... I'm in kingsland
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

Give me a call if you are wanting to sell some of the engine parts or all the parts.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    Give me a call if you are wanting to sell some of the engine parts or all the parts.
    Oh man you just put me in a hard spot... I love this engine so much! Almost brought home a 2019 BOSS white/blue. If that happens then I may need you to offset some cost.
    I do have access to a several lathes and mill machines that will allow a flange in place of the output drive gear and just see how long the clutch lasts on a mini rail. Matt I will surely keep you in mind.

Do the 2019 models have solid shift shafts? I don't remember seeing any upgrades in the parts...
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

Frotosride... wow, dude. So sorry to see all that genius engine effort expended only to hit another wall. What scares me is not "Builder" be ware but "Buyer" be ware - maybe even "Responsible but Un a ware Owner" be ware!. (two words throughout... just to bug cbxer... lol)

Even as a responsible owner I would have no way of knowing (until failure) that my engine was suffering any of the afflictions your meticulous disassembly and inspection uncovered. Freaks me out a little, but I guess "it is what it is" - I'm not taking my engine apart so I will just need to hope my regular oil changes will do what needs to be done.

So sorry you got so far only to be c0ck-blocked like that my friend.
    You sound like the type able to trudge onward however, so I hope it doesn't set you back too far to soon enjoy this beautiful machine.

NoSetFine, thanks. I'm not 100% sure about the bike just yet. I'm stubborn and when it comes to starting projects I have to finish them. This engine will go back together for sure. I just don't know how long it will be before the bike is back on the road. Part of me wants to get ride of it but that's only my wallet.

I'm wheelin and dealin with the stealership on a 2019 boss so we will see. They are wanting to charge me all the usual fees like shipping, assembly, random dealer fee to the tune of $2600. So I'm waiting them out a few weeks. The worst part is they are the only ones within 200 miles with a decent price on this specific color combo. And the only one with the white and blue within that distance as well.
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

Well the oil pump will be here Tuesday. I'm going to push forward and just keep the bike. It will surely take some time to get all the money together especially since I still plan on getting a new B.O.S.S. Sorry Matt but unless something drastically changes I'm going to use this as my test mule. I think body bods will be first. Maybe learn to shape aluminum and make new fairings.

I will surely get a spare harness to set up my current run stand to hold thi engine prior to putting it back in the bike.
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

Very Active Member

Most of the stuff you mentioned are wear items that will need to be replaced on any bike eventually. Have you priced these parts online? I understand not wanting to do a major repair, but you can't really use the cost of wear items like tires in that equation. Tires on this bike are good for 3 seasons IIRC. Any bike you buy will need tires, brakes and clutch from time to time so what do you gain? I would add up the cost of non-wear stuff in making that call.

Quote Originally Posted by Syler View Post
    Most of the stuff you mentioned are wear items that will need to be replaced on any bike eventually. Have you priced these parts online? I understand not wanting to do a major repair, but you can't really use the cost of wear items like tires in that equation. Tires on this bike are good for 3 seasons IIRC. Any bike you buy will need tires, brakes and clutch from time to time so what do you gain? I would add up the cost of non-wear stuff in making that call.
    Uuumm, when you have 4 kids, mortgage and work for Uncle Sam everything is part of the equation... Besides I'm not getting rid of the bike just putting off the complete build and doing it over time.
    Of course I went online to get my parts. Closest dealer is 50 miles plus the extra cost of buying through a dealer...

Idk why you are explaining preventative maintenance to me as if I just jumped in to owning my first piece of mechanical engineering.i retire as an engineer in three years I understand that things wear out.
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

On the other hand if that's you way of opening me up to your truss fund... Explain away and I'll send you the shopping list. 🤑
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frotosride View Post
    Uuumm, when you have 4 kids, mortgage and work for Uncle Sam everything is part of the equation... Besides I'm not getting rid of the bike just putting off the complete build and doing it over time.
    Of course I went online to get my parts. Closest dealer is 50 miles plus the extra cost of buying through a dealer...

Idk why you are explaining preventative maintenance to me as if I just jumped in to owning my first piece of mechanical engineering.i retire as an engineer in three years I understand that things wear out.
    My bad, I didn't look at who posted this. I also thought this was a decision between fixing the bike or buying something else. Having other priorities is of course another matter entirely.

Another lesson learned. When the tech manual shows inspecting and reinstalling the oil pump prior to putting the case together....Its for a reason. So needless to say my case is split again. Good news is I'm an expert at opening this thing up!🤔
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander