M109 Rider Forums banner

Can any tell me what happened here

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Ambuttrey 
#1 ·
I recently just did a large Preventive Maintenance job myself and was conducting a test drive. On my drive I heard what I thought possibly a loose bolt fall off the bike. It wasn’t until i came home and saw I was leaking oils when I found this.(see pictures attached). It Is a 2007 and has about 48,000 miles. The work I did was replace the clutch disks and springs, new K&M air filters, fuel filter, spark plugs and oil change. Any help is appreciated, I’m taking her to the shop Tuesday. Just want to know if there is something I messed up?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I recently just did a large Preventive Maintenance job myself and was conducting a test drive. On my drive I heard what I thought possibly a loose bolt fall off the bike. It wasn't until i came home and saw I was leaking oils when I found this.(see pictures attached). It Is a 2007 and has about 48,000 miles. The work I did was replace the clutch disks and springs, new K&M air filters, fuel filter, spark plugs and oil change. Any help is appreciated, I'm taking her to the shop Tuesday. Just want to know if there is something I messed up?
Looks like something let loose in your secondary.

#4 ·
I hate that this happened and it really is disappointing but I'm never getting rid of my 9! Mostly replying to bookmark and remind myself to just rebuild the secondary before I put the fresh engine through its paces. Hope your primary gear on the output shaft isn't trashed... I couldn't imagine paying a dealer to take my engine out much less splitting the case and tearing apart the whole output shaft.

#9 ·
Just wanted to keep everyone updated, I went ahead and upgraded, the shop gave me an insane quote but I don't think they even opened the secondary drive case. I'm going to see what I can and already get it running again. Any tips or video links will help. Here is some pictures of my new bike. Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Attachments

#10 ·
Just wanted to keep everyone updated, I went ahead and upgraded, the shop gave me an insane quote but I don't think they even opened the secondary drive case. I'm going to see what I can and already get it running again. Any tips or video links will help. Here is some pictures of my new bike. View attachment 386716
I hope you get her back up and running right. :tools:

#11 · (Edited)
Congrats on the new B.O.S.S.... That's the one I'm hoping to get. I've decided to keep my 06 and just use it as a test platform.

For the other 9 I will look through the service manual and see if it shows disassembly and post up the pics and articles. You will definitely need to get another one and probably just put in the parts they already upgraded. Just know they aren't cheap. I know that Suzuki has updated PN for the bevel gears and I'm not sure that is absolutely needed unless your primary out put gear is messed up. The other part is I think the output gear is pressed into the bearing and onto the shaft. I will look to verify when I get a chance. Good luck..

#12 ·
Oh and you can completely remove the secondary drive unit from the engine and driveshaft without taking the engine out or removing the rear swing arm. Keep the the piece that looks like a metal gasket. It is actually a shim for setting back lash between the two bevel gears just like any normal differential.

#13 ·
So I just looked it up and the output/drive bevel gear is actually pressed on. You will need a special puller or just a lot of ingenuity to get it off the splines.

In this pic are all the parts. Upgraded ones are circled.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.