Seemed like an eternity...

Thread: Seemed like an eternity...

Default Seemed like an eternity...

Well I took the bike down after the dreaded 2nd gear issue. I'd been pushing through it for a while until I couldn't get over 1/4 throttle and the bike feel like the recoil of a 50cal reaper... Honestly I owe my safety to a member. Idk who it was but someone on here wrote about riding the dragon and a shift fork broke, locking everything up. He and the bike were ok but it made me think, so I parked it and took the engine out in Oct of 20016. That was to keep me off it. A million reasons why I've had $1400 dollars worth parts sitting a box for 3 years but the time has come and I just put the crankcase halves together tonight.

I'm debating on making some removal mounts for my engine run stand (currently set up for LS Swaps) and getting a harness off eBay to run the engine prior to installation. Either way here's some pics and progress!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	386588   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	34 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	386590   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	37 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	386592  
    Last edited by Frotosride; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "Beat it like a red-headed Ford":
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

A little lesson on joining the cases together. Verify that the bearings that have the anti-roll pin are still in the correct position. My balance shaft bearing actually rolled slightly and the bearing wasn't aligned with the pin the first time I tried to get the case to seat down properly.
    Shift forks weren't hard to align. I just put it in neutral for the input and output shafts then aligned the shift drum/cam until the forks lined up.
    Shift forks and rails are new. Forks are upgrades with a better designed drum/cam pin and shift shafts are solid. I purchased them from R&D motorsports in Clearwater,Fl when they magna fluxed and back-cut the gears. They replaced all the snap rings on each assembly as well. I was most surprised when I finally unwrapped the gear sets. They sat in the original packaging from R&D for three years but looked pristine!

Views:	34 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	386596   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	30 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	386600  
    Last edited by Frotosride; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:45 PM. Reason: Forgot info
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit

Very Active Member

Same here. I did a port and polish too. I'm doing Cerakote on the pistons and heads though because I'll be running nitrous. Question. How are you sealing the case? I noticed oil passages that I'm worried about with RTV sealant. I think that's how the case was sealed.

Name:	20200201_165155_1580606517984.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	386602  

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

The case is machines like most import vehicles and the silicone is just an extra but very needed piece. I actually bought the Suzuki sealant just because all the usual permatex I had was dried up. You are only going to put a slight film, especially on the areas near the oil galleries.
    I honestly was concerned but when I lifted it up after realizing my balance shaft bearing spun, the sealant looked great and galleries were clear. From the factory I had to clean a lot of it out of those galleries. Makes me feel like I saved myself a headache from oil starved bearings.
    Last edited by Frotosride; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

Here's the diagram for where to put the silicone. Also a few pics of the sealant. Must have changed compound since '06 because my original silicone was black.

Views:	17 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	386608   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	19 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	386610   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	21 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	386612  
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

Oh and NITROUS!!! Man I pray that crank holds up. But I'm a turbo guy. However cheap power is always best!
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

Putting all of this stuff where it goes has been a long time coming and I can't wait to get to that step!

Views:	28 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	386614  
    Last edited by Frotosride; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:15 PM. Reason: Forgot pic
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frotosride View Post
    Oh and NITROUS!!! Man I pray that crank holds up. But I'm a turbo guy. However cheap power is always best!
    Thanks for the diagram - huge help!

There is a guy on here making 180HP with nitrous. I thought about a turbo, but that's not easy on this bike. I don't think there is an issue with the crank. I think the guy who snapped his with the turbo didn't properly tune the bike and probably forced the pistons in 2 different directions. You saw the size of the crank pins. I think it takes massive pre-detonation to sheer those.

Quote Originally Posted by Syler View Post
    Thanks for the diagram - huge help!

There is a guy on here making 180HP with nitrous. I thought about a turbo, but that's not easy on this bike. I don't think there is an issue with the crank. I think the guy who snapped his with the turbo didn't properly tune the bike and probably forced the pistons in 2 different directions. You saw the size of the crank pins. I think it takes massive pre-detonation to sheer those.
    Oh and ignore the top left part of that diagram. If you apply to both top and bottom you are sure to put way too much on and clog galleries.

Yea the crank is massive for the power this bike makes. With the massive 4.40" bore spooling a turbo would be a breeze. How much is it costing you to get the cerakote done. And what are you cerakote'ing on the heads?
    Last edited by Frotosride; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:40 PM.
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

Very Active Member

Oh and ignore the top left part of that diagram. If you apply to both top and bottom you are sure to put way too much on and clog galleries.

Yea the crank is massive for the power this bike makes. With the massive 4.40" bore spooling a turbo would be a breeze. How much is it costing you to get the cerakote done. And what are you cerakote'ing on the heads?
    I was able to buy a tiny sandblaster and airbrush at Harbor Freight cheap. Bought the medium online - 120 grit aluminum oxide. Blasted the pistons and combustion area and valves of the head. I'm not going up inside the exhaust. Took forever with the cheap little air eraser / sand blaster. Tomorrow I'm going to apply the Cerokote and then you bake it at 300 for an hour IIRC. The stuff is around $40 for 4oz which will be plenty. Lots of guys are having great results with it. Plenty of videos on YouTube.

You mean cerakote'ing or ceramic coating. Cerakote'ing is a paint that si most commonly used on guns. I can however see its properties being useful here it it were more scratch resistant.
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

You mean cerakote'ing or ceramic coating. Cerakote'ing is a paint that si most commonly used on guns. I can however see its properties being useful here it it were more scratch resistant.
    Never mind... I just found tons of info! Might just do this since I have a blasting cabinet and spray guns. May use the detail gun for this.
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

Very Active Member

Never mind... I just found tons of info! Might just do this since I have a blasting cabinet and spray guns. May use the detail gun for this.
    I'm Jealous. This little bitch-ass air eraser took me forever. But ya, if you already have the equipment I'd spend the $40 for sure. I think the head was ceramic coated to begin with. I was brushing off the carbon and started thinking, "I don't think this is all carbon." I was a bit concerned. I also bought new valve guide seals because I don't know if baking them at 300 degrees is good for them, and it can't hurt to replace them anyway. Hopefully I'll have mine done tomorrow if nothing else comes up. I'll post pics.