Am I making a mistake ?

Thread: Am I making a mistake ?

Default Am I making a mistake ?

Just purchased a 2007 -9 ( white) and will pick up the bike on Feb. 15 ( purchased privately off a CL ad) bike has 17000 km's and seems to be in good shape.
    Certainly very low mileage for the year. The bike is fitted with aftermarket Cobra pipes, which are loud. Being as though neither myself ( nor my long suffering
    neighbours) enjoy loud pipes, I am giving serious consideration to replacing the Cobra's with the stock pipes-which come with the purchase.
    The local Suzuki dealership want $400 ( CAD) to swop the pipes and put bike on dyno to re map etc or do whatever it is that they do. ( Bike has power commander)
    I noticed that the pipes are extremely black at the ends ( carbon build up ?) could this be as a result of the map for the PC not being chosen correctly ?
    Another reason I want to go to stock-guessing the map can easily be re set-but more worries about the loudness issue.
    Also I will want to put some tunes on the bike. Usually go with a basis set up with 2 speakers on the bars etc. On last bike I had-also with after market pipes
    the pipes drowned out my music-another reason I want to revert to stock.
    What are your thoughts ? should I go for it or will I regret giving up the rather nice rumble of those Cobra's.
    Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Saffer View Post
    Just purchased a 2007 -9 ( white) and will pick up the bike on Feb. 15 ( purchased privately off a CL ad) bike has 17000 km's and seems to be in good shape.
    Certainly very low mileage for the year. The bike is fitted with aftermarket Cobra pipes, which are loud. Being as though neither myself ( nor my long suffering
    neighbours) enjoy loud pipes, I am giving serious consideration to replacing the Cobra's with the stock pipes-which come with the purchase.
    The local Suzuki dealership want $400 ( CAD) to swop the pipes and put bike on dyno to re map etc or do whatever it is that they do. ( Bike has power commander)
    I noticed that the pipes are extremely black at the ends ( carbon build up ?) could this be as a result of the map for the PC not being chosen correctly ?
    Another reason I want to go to stock-guessing the map can easily be re set-but more worries about the loudness issue.
    Also I will want to put some tunes on the bike. Usually go with a basis set up with 2 speakers on the bars etc. On last bike I had-also with after market pipes
    What are your thoughts ? should I go for it or will I regret giving up the rather nice rumble of those Cobra's.
    Cheers
    $400 seems steep. If you want the ECM flashed back to stock, why would they need to dyno it? What makes you think the the ECM has been changed from stock? I would think that the ECM is still stock. If you are concerned, just pull off the power commander. As it takes the stock map and retunes through the power commander.
    I’m not a loud pipe person, but that is me. It a personal preference. The stock pipes look great and have an AWESOME heat shield system. You can also drill the stock pipes for a deeper sound with out being obnoxious.

Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by rynosback; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:22 AM.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Look at quieter baffles for the aftermaket pipes. I have a set of cobra pipes that I thought where too loud, so I got a set of cobra quietcores to soften the sound ... sounds great now.
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I'm not into loud either. I lost the hearing in my right ear at 24 years old due to loud bikes. Most specifically, a 79 Honda CBX with a 6-into-1 that i had modified to take a Yoshimura competition cannister that sat right under the passenger footpeg. LOUD! I never really cared for how large the stock pipes are. They're like two torpedoes hanging off the back on one side.

I kept the stock pipes for four years. Until Cobra came out with the Tri Pro. It met my wants for appearance, being a 2-into-1, being lighter and being not loud. Unfortunately, I don't think they can be bought any more.

My B-King has Yoshimura pipes. They are quiet when putt-putting around twon and the SET valve is mostly closed. When you crank on it, you can definitely tell when that valve opens!

I wear ear plugs if I'm expecting to go out and thrash either bike like a rented mule.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3936.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	386574  
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Saffer View Post
    Cheers
    Have you thought about an in-helmet communication system such as the Cardo Pack Talk (Slim)? I have a louder pipe, so I wear custom ear plugs with a music filter. Sounds great to me and I also have the benefit of chatting with my buddies when we are out on rides (we all have Cardo units). Because my ear plugs are not as restrictive as say the foam plugs, I can also hear distant sirens even when the music is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    Have you thought about an in-helmet communication system such as the Cardo Pack Talk (Slim)? I have a louder pipe, so I wear custom ear plugs with a music filter. Sounds great to me and I also have the benefit of chatting with my buddies when we are out on rides (we all have Cardo units). Because my ear plugs are not as restrictive as say the foam plugs, I can also hear distant sirens even when the music is on.

I have never really enjoyed riding with plugs in my ear. Drowns out all the sounds around you-sometimes a car hooting at you can be taken as a warning-what if you miss that with earplugs in or helmet speakers blasting ? I have a set of U Clear goodies-can't get them to work-but that's a story for another day.

I would at least ride it for a month! And if it’s to loud
    take baffles out and wrap them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jHxPCjna39w

If still 2 loud theirs Cobra or Thunder mfg will make them.

https://bigcitythunder.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    I'm not into loud either. I lost the hearing in my right ear at 24 years old due to loud bikes. Most specifically, a 79 Honda CBX with a 6-into-1 that i had modified to take a Yoshimura competition cannister that sat right under the passenger footpeg. LOUD! I never really cared for how large the stock pipes are. They're like two torpedoes hanging off the back on one side.

I kept the stock pipes for four years. Until Cobra came out with the Tri Pro. It met my wants for appearance, being a 2-into-1, being lighter and being not loud. Unfortunately, I don't think they can be bought any more.

My B-King has Yoshimura pipes. They are quiet when putt-putting around twon and the SET valve is mostly closed. When you crank on it, you can definitely tell when that valve opens!

I wear ear plugs if I'm expecting to go out and thrash either bike like a rented mule.
    I also went from stock to the Cobra tri-pros.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE