Winter tire wear vs summer

Thread: Winter tire wear vs summer

Just wondering what the thoughts were about tire wear - cold vs warm weather. Where I live the roads are closer to 40 grit sand paper than asphalt. This morning it was about 27°F which got me thinking on the way to work. Would the tires being harder due to the temp mean more or less wear. Again, I am talking about wear and not traction. A stop at 65°+ is usually no problem other than the occasional rear lock-up but that same stop at 27° is a completely different experience even on dry payment.
    Last edited by UVATom; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:39 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

My guess would be less wear,since you ride much slower and don’t corner aggressively on cold road..flat spot wear would be quicker..

on the flip side you would assume,the extra grit on the road would speed thing up. .
    Stav

Very Active Member

I'm not a tread designer, but I say heat from the pavement will soften the tread compounds quicker and hotter, so tread should wear faster in warmer weather.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Warmer weather will definitely cause tires to wear faster, due to the fact that tires stick and grip the road much more in warm weather than they do in colder weather conditions. The more tires stick, the faster they wear.

I always thought that cold weather and wet roads made tires wear less. It just seems intuitive. Not with standing roads that are like rasp files. The roads in Arkansas are like this. The Pig Trail up in the North West of Arkansas is a nice ride, but you wonder how long the tires will last on those roads. And you certainly don't want to end up sliding on them without proper riding gear.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

There is definitely less traction on wet and cold roads, so there is less friction and as I see it, less wear.