2 Questions - Battery and Seat Cowl
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 2 Questions - Battery and Seat Cowl

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    15

    Default 2 Questions - Battery and Seat Cowl

    Bought a 2009 M90 recently. I have two questions I hope to get help with.

    1. Battery age is unknown and it has had to be charged a few times, and I want to replace it with a new one when riding season comes around. My understanding is that the M109R and M90 use the same battery. Factory spec is size FTZ16-BS. What are your picks for the best battery? Current battery is a Napa GS, size 14-BS. I know that's not the correct size for the bikes. Don't want to spend more than I have to, but basically looking for the best bang for the buck. I have searched, maybe my search terms suck, but the few helpful results seem few and far between.

    2. Regarding the seat cowl, my searches have led me to believe the cowl is the same between the M109R and the M90. Can anyone confirm if that is true or not?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member cbxer55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    5,571

    Default

    I've changed the battery in my 2006 M109R three times in the 13 years I've owned it. I've always opted to just get the stock replacement battery from Suzuki. No doubt there are cheaper and better ones. Just my preference. I keep it plugged into a battery tender full time when not riding. The current battery is three years old. That's around the time I usually need another. We'll see this time, since the tender is something I only started with this battery.

    Oddly enough, the stock battery the bike came with lasted four years. All the others around three.

    Of the seat cowl, I know nothing. It would make sense from a dimes and nickels standpoint, for Suzuki to do that. Why pay an engineer to come up with a new one when you already have one?
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger


  4. #3
    Very Active Member JUDAH-9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    ARLINGTON, TX
    Posts
    4,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
    Bought a 2009 M90 recently. I have two questions I hope to get help with.

    1. Battery age is unknown and it has had to be charged a few times, and I want to replace it with a new one when riding season comes around. My understanding is that the M109R and M90 use the same battery. Factory spec is size FTZ16-BS. What are your picks for the best battery? Current battery is a Napa GS, size 14-BS. I know that's not the correct size for the bikes. Don't want to spend more than I have to, but basically looking for the best bang for the buck. I have searched, maybe my search terms suck, but the few helpful results seem few and far between.

    2. Regarding the seat cowl, my searches have led me to believe the cowl is the same between the M109R and the M90. Can anyone confirm if that is true or not?

    Thanks in advance.
    Dagwood, here’s an excellent replacement battery for the M109R. I have one in my 07’ M109R, and it is excellent. Furthermore, you’ll never find a 260 CCA AGM Battery for the M109R/M90 that will beat the quality/price.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-1800...ty!78250!US!-1

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    I've changed the battery in my 2006 M109R three times in the 13 years I've owned it. I've always opted to just get the stock replacement battery from Suzuki. No doubt there are cheaper and better ones. Just my preference. I keep it plugged into a battery tender full time when not riding. The current battery is three years old. That's around the time I usually need another. We'll see this time, since the tender is something I only started with this battery.

    Oddly enough, the stock battery the bike came with lasted four years. All the others around three.

    Of the seat cowl, I know nothing. It would make sense from a dimes and nickels standpoint, for Suzuki to do that. Why pay an engineer to come up with a new one when you already have one?
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately a battery tender without removing the battery is not a viable solution at this time for me, but in the sea of battery options, I have thought about just going OEM. I don't disagree with your thoughts on the seat cowl. I did find one listed on ebay for an M109R but the price was right and color seemed right, so I ordered it...guess I'll find out. Best I can do at this time is try to compare fit to the stock seat and the stock passenger seat and hope for the best.

    Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Dagwood, here’s an excellent replacement battery for the M109R. I have one in my 07’ M109R, and it is excellent. Furthermore, you’ll never find a 260 CCA AGM Battery for the M109R/M90 that will beat the quality/price.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-1800...ty!78250!US!-1
    Nice, thanks. Been browsing quite a bit but haven't found anything quite approaching that so far!

  7. #5
    Very Active Member cbxer55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    5,571

    Default

    The battery tended comes with a plug that attaches to the two posts on the battery. Mine hangs down just a little behind the black plastic snap on cover near the swing arm. So when I ride the bike, and get home, I pull it into the chock, then plug the tender in. Always. You can see it plugged connected in the attached photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01010008.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	386546  
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger


  8. #6
    Very Active Member JUDAH-9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    ARLINGTON, TX
    Posts
    4,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
    Bought a 2009 M90 recently. I have two questions I hope to get help with.

    1. Battery age is unknown and it has had to be charged a few times, and I want to replace it with a new one when riding season comes around. My understanding is that the M109R and M90 use the same battery. Factory spec is size FTZ16-BS. What are your picks for the best battery? Current battery is a Napa GS, size 14-BS. I know that's not the correct size for the bikes. Don't want to spend more than I have to, but basically looking for the best bang for the buck. I have searched, maybe my search terms suck, but the few helpful results seem few and far between.

    2. Regarding the seat cowl, my searches have led me to believe the cowl is the same between the M109R and the M90. Can anyone confirm if that is true or not?

    Thanks in advance.
    Dagwood, to your 2nd question regarding the Rear Seat Cowl...I would be extremely surprised if the Seat Cowl for an M109R would also fit the M90. Although both rear ends look similar in terms of design, I think they are independently different in terms of design, size and dimensions.

  9. #7
    Very Active Member cbxer55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    5,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Dagwood, to your 2nd question regarding the Rear Seat Cowl...I would be extremely surprised if the Seat Cowl for an M109R would also fit the M90. Although both rear ends look similar in terms of design, I think they are independently different in terms of design, size and dimensions.
    Yeah, I didn't say it for certain was. Just said it made sense from a nickels and dimes standpoint. But the tail light is smaller on the M90, so the cowl could be smaller.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger


  10. #8
    Very Active Member JUDAH-9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    ARLINGTON, TX
    Posts
    4,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Yeah, I didn't say it for certain was. Just said it made sense from a nickels and dimes standpoint. But the tail light is smaller on the M90, so the cowl could be smaller.
    From having seen both bikes simultaneously, up close and personal, and side by side, the tail sections themselves are very different. However, at a quick glance or simply not paying attention to the details of each bike, it would be easy for someone to overlook those differences.

  11. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    The battery tended comes with a plug that attaches to the two posts on the battery. Mine hangs down just a little behind the black plastic snap on cover near the swing arm. So when I ride the bike, and get home, I pull it into the chock, then plug the tender in. Always. You can see it plugged connected in the attached photo.
    My bike has a plug for a tender routed already. The problem in my case is that I don't have anywhere to plug in a tender, so I'd have to remove the battery from the bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Dagwood, to your 2nd question regarding the Rear Seat Cowl...I would be extremely surprised if the Seat Cowl for an M109R would also fit the M90. Although both rear ends look similar in terms of design, I think they are independently different in terms of design, size and dimensions.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Yeah, I didn't say it for certain was. Just said it made sense from a nickels and dimes standpoint. But the tail light is smaller on the M90, so the cowl could be smaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    From having seen both bikes simultaneously, up close and personal, and side by side, the tail sections themselves are very different. However, at a quick glance or simply not paying attention to the details of each bike, it would be easy for someone to overlook those differences.
    Thanks, I guess I'll find out. My assumption for thinking they are the same is due to listings on ebay for what I assume are knockoffs, but they list fitment for both the M109R and M90.

  12. #10
    Very Active Member cbxer55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    5,571

    Default

    I see. I live in an apartment, but there are garages here. I have two bikes, both garage kept. I sleep better at night with them safely tucked away. Even though the apartments are gated, there have been two bikes stolen that I know of. And most of the bikers who live here do as I do and pay extra to keep their bike safely stored out of sight.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger


  13. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    I see. I live in an apartment, but there are garages here. I have two bikes, both garage kept. I sleep better at night with them safely tucked away. Even though the apartments are gated, there have been two bikes stolen that I know of. And most of the bikers who live here do as I do and pay extra to keep their bike safely stored out of sight.
    I'm in an apartment as well, but no garages. Only a carport. Probably going to get a chain or cable lock and lock it to one of the posts.

  14. #12
    Very Active Member JUDAH-9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    ARLINGTON, TX
    Posts
    4,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
    I'm in an apartment as well, but no garages. Only a carport. Probably going to get a chain or cable lock and lock it to one of the posts.
    Leaving a bike outside, whether under a carport and/or covered with a bike cover is not good for any motorcycle. Due to drastic changes in weather conditions, rust is going to form in areas and on parts seen and unseen on your bike. The fact that you live in Michigan, which is butted up to a very large body of water, the propensity for rust to develop quickly on your bike (if left outside) is inevitable. Within a year you’ll very likely have rust forming on your bike. Have you considered renting a storage unit to house your bike? I view owning a bike as being an investment. Therefore, I wouldn’t allow my investment to be diminished or devalued, because I failed to protect it. Do you have any family members or friends who have a garage that you could temporarily store your bike in, until you figure out or work out a permanent storage accommodation?

  15. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Leaving a bike outside, whether under a carport and/or covered with a bike cover is not good for any motorcycle. Due to drastic changes in weather conditions, rust is going to form in areas and on parts seen and unseen on your bike. The fact that you live in Michigan, which is butted up to a very large body of water, the propensity for rust to develop quickly on your bike (if left outside) is inevitable. Within a year you’ll very likely have rust forming on your bike. Have you considered renting a storage unit to house your bike? I view owning a bike as being an investment. Therefore, I wouldn’t allow my investment to be diminished or devalued, because I failed to protect it. Do you have any family members or friends who have a garage that you could temporarily store your bike in, until you figure out or work out a permanent storage accommodation?
    Good ideas but unfortunately that is my only option. I definitely try to take care of my stuff. I have seen an older C50 in my complex that lives in a carport and doesn't get covered except for winter, and it doesn't appear any worse for the wear considering. I also somewhat suspect my bike was stored outside judging by the condition of the seats and some of the surface rust on the mirrors and back rest, but that's just a guess. Been working on removing that - those are the parts I removed before storage. Haven't gotten to spend much time with the bike so far, but that's the only rust I've noticed so far.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->