Reverse Torque Smoothness

Thread: Reverse Torque Smoothness

Default Reverse Torque Smoothness

The one thing left that I wish I could resolve that would make this bike perfect is the reverse torque. It may be that it’s what should be with an engine of this type and size, but I do find it a bit annoying especially with a pillion on the back. I took a Rocket 3 for a ride recently and had no such problem. Basically when I ease off the throttle its a bit jerky. Except if I’m in a higher gear in which case it is much less... but then you’ve got less power to accelerate with. So, two questions 1. Mine is a 2006, is this any better on the later models? 2. Is there any adjustment in the clutch to make the reverse torque softer? As usual thank you everyone for your advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by StuCorlett View Post
    The one thing left that I wish I could resolve that would make this bike perfect is the reverse torque. It may be that itís what should be with an engine of this type and size, but I do find it a bit annoying especially with a pillion on the back. I took a Rocket 3 for a ride recently and had no such problem. Basically when I ease off the throttle its a bit jerky. Except if Iím in a higher gear in which case it is much less... but then youíve got less power to accelerate with. So, two questions 1. Mine is a 2006, is this any better on the later models? 2. Is there any adjustment in the clutch to make the reverse torque softer? As usual thank you everyone for your advice.
    Stu, the thing I believe youíre referring to is most offended defined as Engine/Compression Braking. Itís purpose is to use the engineís compression and internal friction to prevent the bike from making ďmotive power,Ē resulting in slowing down the bike. Itís a good thing when used properly. The best method of utilizing Engine/Compression Braking is to do so in conjunction with applying your front and rear brakes and down shifting to keep the engine the correct RPM range to support your current road situation, during the process. Otherwise, a rider could easily place himself and his passenger in a very dangerous and compromised situation. Itís something every rider should practice to become very efficient and confident with.

Nevertheless, to answer your immediate question...thereís nothing you can do to modify that characteristic of the M109R. You must become more familiar with your bike, while practicing to become better at using the technique of Engine/Compression Braking. Once you have, youíll have no issue with the affects of using it.

Thanks Judah. As I said I recently ride a Triumph Rocket 3 which I would say has even more engine braking and yet no jerking like the M109r. Do others of you out there find this? I do admit it’s no problem when riding the bike gently, it’s more when I get into a more ‘sports’ mode that the issue arises. I have got ‘used’ to it now but I do feel that that is one area Suzuki could have dealt with. Maybe I’m ruined coz I have just ridden that new Triumph? But then that bike is twice the price of a new m109!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by StuCorlett View Post
    Thanks Judah. As I said I recently ride a Triumph Rocket 3 which I would say has even more engine braking and yet no jerking like the M109r. Do others of you out there find this? I do admit itís no problem when riding the bike gently, itís more when I get into a more Ďsportsí mode that the issue arises. I have got Ďusedí to it now but I do feel that that is one area Suzuki could have dealt with. Maybe Iím ruined coz I have just ridden that new Triumph? But then that bike is twice the price of a new m109!
    I think itís simply a matter of difference in engine design between Suzuki and Triumph. The M109R has an enormous amount of torque in all gears, but especially in the lower first three gears. My guess is that in order to produce that level of torque they also had to allow for the excessive amount of engine compression. I love the engine compression of the M109R. Iíve gotten use to it over the last 11 or 12 years.

Hey Stu.
    I think I know what you are referring to, and on a side note would LOVE to try a Rocket GT... but then... I better not... like Andy Grammer says, "I've got <a 'Nine> at home, and if I <take a test ride> I might not leave alone".

To Judah's point, it did take a fair bit of getting used to it. Avoiding that back-breaking accel/snap-slow-down in 1st and 2nd gear if you give it even the slightest bit too much throttle then let off in slow/in-town traffic takes a fair amount of focus, for me anyway. I am certainly much better at it now, but I agree with your question - I wish there was a way to smooth that out without sacrificing that rubber-melting torque when you actually want it.

I have read, anecdotally, from people doing ECU flashes (in this case, from BCS) the ECU flash noticeably reduces that overly aggressive yank, but hopefully without reducing on-demand accel (?) but I have nothing to compare it to for myself.

[QUOTE= I have read, anecdotally, from people doing ECU flashes (in this case, from BCS) the ECU flash noticeably reduces that overly aggressive yank, but hopefully without reducing on-demand accel.[/QUOTE]

Wow NSF, I had no idea that BCSís FULL ECU FLASH had evolved to the level of reducing the engine compression when downshifting without compromising the new unchained acceleration provided by the flash. Man, my wheels are really spinning now, on a new upgrade for my 07í and 08í model 9s.

Thanks Bro,
    Bobby

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Tuning the ECU will smooth out the engine breaking on deceleration for sure.

Shoot me a PM with the mods you have on your bike and I can give you more information.

BCS

Rev matching on downshifts goes a long way too!

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Rev matching on downshifts goes a long way too!
    Thatís definitely true P. In fact, I find it to be absolutely necessary in helping to slow the bike for my style and preference of riding. Itís the only technique I employ when riding, as it has become a habit now. It significantly reduces the feel/affects of that sudden pull/snatch response whenever you donít Rev Match while downshifting...especially at higher speeds and gears.

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Wow NSF, I had no idea that BCSís FULL ECU FLASH had evolved to the level of reducing the engine compression when downshifting without compromising the new unchained acceleration provided by the flash. Man, my wheels are really spinning now, on a new upgrade for my 07í and 08í model 9s.

Thanks Bro,
    Bobby
    Yup.
    Lowers your cholesterol and makes you more handsome too.
    It's truly amazing.

haha.. I think I saw BCS chime in after - it apparently does smooth out the grab, but may not actually alter the combustion profile and physics of a gasoline driven engine.
    YMMV.